What's new

POLL: What percent of DE blades you tried are better than your best cart?

What percentage of DE blades you have tried work at least as well as your best cart?

• nearly all DE blades tried are as good or better than my best cart

• 75%

• 50%

• 25%

• very few DE blades are better than my best cart

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most of us do still have to occasionally use carts. So I was wondering about what percentage of available DE blades out there that you personally have tried, gives you a better shave than your best cart.

This poll is for DE shavers that meet the following requirements:

1) have at least 1 year of experience (some blades which we considered bad at first, often become acceptable when we gain more experience)

2) have tried at least 4 different brands of DE blades

Last edited:
I would say about 80%. There are some Carts that shave really good, and there are some DE blades that don't. I tried some blades (Sharks) that tore my face up. I tried a shark blade today and I scared myself when I got out of the shower blood was going everywhere. 4 good bleeders. I will try the blade again tomorrow when I can take more time and see if I get shark bitten. In the shower, most of my blades give me a great shave. Carts hardly ever make me bleed, but they are expensive. I still have some carts and will use them up eventually. But when they are gone, they're gone! I had read so many positive reviews on the Sharks, so I was excited to retry after 6-8 months. I will never give up!

100%.

My last cart razor was a Wilkinson Sword (Schick) Hydro 5, which i thought was the ultimate. However, by the end of the day, my stubble would have sprouted visibly. This is no longer the case with DE shaving, and i have not used Feather blades yet.

Hmmm...I'd say 90%. Although I always use a DE on my face, I use a cart (or a Headblade) on my head. It's just quicker and easier, and with the paltry amount of hair I have left, I don't want to make too big a job out of head shaving. I'm using a Schick Hydro 5 right now, which does a great job around my sideburns area. But could it beat my DE in my muzzle area, where wiry hair grows in sworls? No way.

I'd say 75% or MORE. I've gotten really good shaves with certain carts and a great lather. I've also been a blade sampler extraordinaire in the past, and have used some blades that were just rubbish IMHO.

The only blade I have tried that is worse than a cartridge is Derby but I use cheap Bic razor when I need a disposable cartridge and haven't ever tried one of those 3+ blade fancy things.

I figured that I'd been lucky with my blade choices thus far, but the results of the pole so far (all votes 75%-100%) seem to indicate that one really shouldn't be afraid of experimenting.

I get a good shave with any blade I've used, which are many. I do have my favorites but even my worst shaving DE blade gave me a shave I consider as presentable as any cart. Expensive carts + locked up carts / number of shaves per cart * shave per week = an eventual unpleasant shave that we've all been guilty of squeezing out of the darned thing. Worst DE just gets tossed in the bank before it can do any damage.

As close to 100% as you can get, I'd say. For me, my beard is so thick that the carts just clog up and become unusable after just 1 shave, or MAYBE two. It's really terrible. :thumbdown

100% de blades just add another dimension to shaving in my case the BIC chrome blades are far superior than any cartridge.

Lately all I can recall reading about the Bics is either fantastic or horrible, very few "mehhhs". I'm going to have to try those for myself.

I have used 2 or 3 blades that were just total face ripping garbage on my face. That said my whiskers curl and if cut below the skin surface they lead to ingrowns pretty much every time. Given that cutting below the surface is apparently a major feature of most non-single blade cartridges then any blade that doesn't cause actual damage is better for me. :001_smile
I really just wish that I knew all this 25 years back. I would probably have looked a whole lot less scruffy for a lot of that time.

Carts are a one size fits all, so you get a nice average, but never a perfect fit.
Now DE blades you have to try out, some will suit you well others not at all. I have come across a few DE blades that are just not usable.
I have only used ATRA and Sensor, Cartridges. I liked the Sensor quite a bit better than the Atra.
So quite unfairly I am comparing two carts to all the DE blades I have tryed.

No matter how I shaved with a cartridge razor I always got in grown hairs on my sideburn areas and neck, always. They would remain for days and were painful to the touch. Not once since I started using a safety razor have I had that issue, regardless of the blade.

Very Few = 0%. Don't get me wrong, I've had no problems with any of the DE blades I've tried. I also had little/no problems with any of the cart blades I tried EXCEPT for the cost. So take it as the grain of salt that it is.

Top Bottom