What's new

How do you make liver and onions?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
After the age of 13 I lived with my grandparents. My grandmother worked 9 to 5, and my grandfather was a minister. Since he was usually home during the day (ministers work a lot at night- ie getting that late night call from a parishioner who has a family member in the hospital) so he did the bulk of the cooking. I loved his liver and onions, but being young and dumb I never paid attention to how he made it. Anyone have some good recipes?

Mom washed and dried the calves liver, salt & pepper dredge in flour, hold. Fry some bacon, saute the onions, and then just add the liver to the cast iron skillet and brown.

I would offer the suggestion to only get organic, antibiotic free calves liver if you are going to make this today. I would also do a light brine for a couple hours.. I am adding this to my list I haven't had it in a dogs age.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mom washed and dried the calves liver, salt & pepper dredge in flour, hold. Fry some bacon, saute the onions, and then just add the liver to the cast iron skillet and brown.

I would offer the suggestion to only get organic, antibiotic free calves liver if you are going to make this today. I would also do a light brine for a couple hours.. I am adding this to my list I haven't had it in a dogs age.

Thanks, Jim, that sounds about right. It sounds so easy, but I just have never done it. I knew I bought those cast iron pans for a reason.

Mom would rinse then pat the liver dry. She would dredge in a well beaten egg. Then would take some waxed paper and crush several regular salted crackers in between the folds, then thoroughly crust the liver in cracker crumbs. Mom would fry the liver, in butter, at a medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side. I believe that most people over-cook liver. I also have a recipe for you from my Purity cook book. I have cooked it many times.

I have been craving liver for ages. Nobody in my family but me likes it so we never have it.

I think I remember my mom soaking the liver in milk before she'd fry it. Does it sound like there would be any reason to do that? Jim's brining idea seems like it would be better to me.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have been craving liver for ages. Nobody in my family but me likes it so we never have it.

I think I remember my mom soaking the liver in milk before she'd fry it. Does it sound like there would be any reason to do that? Jim's brining idea seems like it would be better to me.
I have not cooked livers myself but my farther would also soak livers in milk prior to cooking. I believe makes it tender and can mellow the flavour.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Growing up mom would make this all the time. She called it "tender steak" to fool us kids. Later she would cut it into 3/4" pieces, bread with flour and egg and fry or deep fry.

I like calves liver but I love chicken livers. Fry 'em medium in bacon fat. Serve with some sauteed scallions and crusty bread.

I soak the liver in milk for a couple of hours, then rinse it, dry it, salt and oregano with a little bit of olive oil and on the barbecue it goes for 2-3 minutes a side. This tastes great and keeps my wife happy in not smelling the cooking liver!

You can make the onions on medium heat in a pan, with a little bit of olive oil and salt to soften them.

I don't make gravy...

I have never been able to do any gravy- I always end up getting store bought.
Equal parts fat and flour "toast" the flour in the oil and add back the dripping from whatever you have been cooking. Of course if its a ton of fat strain that off. you can aways add stock to bump the flavor. Cook down as needed to thicken, apply to mashed potatoes and enjoy.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Equal parts fat and flour "toast" the flour in the oil and add back the dripping from whatever you have been cooking. Of course if its a ton of fat strain that off. you can aways add stock to bump the flavor. Cook down as needed to thicken, apply to mashed potatoes and enjoy.

Thanks. I usually do the T day turkey, but I have never been successful with gravy. I plan on doing a turkey next week and will try again with the gravy.

You can start from zero and actually weigh the fat n flour, a fat separator is handy with turkey so you don't get greasy gravy.

You can make a quick stock with the neck and gizzards while the bird is cooking. Celery, onions carrots a clove of garlic.
If you are boiling potatoes reserve the water for your gravy.

That's all I got.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's how SWMBO made it tonight:

Trim off all of the tough membrane that you can. Then cut it into serving pieces...or not.

Then salt the liver and dredge it in flour, then put it in hot oil to brown.

After it's browned, remove the liver, drain off excess oil, put the liver back in the skillet, then add some warm water. Add some sliced onions.

Put some salt and pepper on top.

Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or so, until it's tender and the onions are whimpy.

Done.

It was served with fried 'taters, and beans cooked with some ham fat in them. Pretty good stuff.

Edit: Should have had some cornbread to sop up the bean juice with, but SWMBO didn't make any tonight.

attachment.php

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You can start from zero and actually weigh the fat n flour, a fat separator is handy with turkey so you don't get greasy gravy.

You can make a quick stock with the neck and gizzards while the bird is cooking. Celery, onions carrots a clove of garlic.
If you are boiling potatoes reserve the water for your gravy.

That's all I got.

Thanks, I will pick up a fat separator.

Top Bottom