What's new

Gillette Bottom-Dial cleanup|Before and After

Well everyone, after much research, planning, and careful execution of hand movements, I have successfully disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and calibrated the gold F4 Gillette bottom dial. It has been a very anxious filled journey but I can rest easy and call this one a great success. The safety razor functions flawlessly and shines away! At first, the operation of the doors were a little sticky, this has since been fixed. The blade gap was off by a whole .019...this has also been fixed. I share the same suspicions as Glenn that when it was replated in gold, it was disassembled and reassembled incorrectly, causing the wrong blade gap. Ultrasonic cleaning revealed some very black water after it was done! Here are some photos of the end result, not much difference but hey, who wouldn't want more pictures of a golden bottom dial?
$100_2661.jpg$100_2662.jpg$100_2663.jpg$100_2664.jpg$100_2665.jpg

Last edited:
The Ndc will be a different beast all around, and sounds like in much worse in overall condition/issues. With the two metals it will make it very interesting on the inside. This was a daily driver razor for many years from the prior owner, so heavens knows the build up inside or the condition of the moving parts, It's in Great hands with the CAP That's for sure!

The Ndc will be a different beast all around, and sounds like in much worse in overall condition/issues. With the two metals it will make it very interesting on the inside. This was a daily driver razor for many years from the prior owner, so heavens knows the build up inside or the condition of the moving parts, It's in Great hands with the CAP That's for sure!
Yeah, I agree. My main concerns with the NDC are the "softness" of the aluminum. The TTO retainer appears to be aluminum and the area where the rod connects to the adjuster plate is corroded, characteristics consistent with aluminum surface corrosion.

Dang, this is fascinating! I'm really intrigued by the way engineers boldly went into the future in the Atomic and Space age without the tools they have today. Your disassembly is an insight into brilliant design and materials selection. Thanks for sharing details and great pics!

This is totally great! I couldn't be more pleased. My 1-9 Bottom Dial has be resurrected! Thanks so much CAP!!! Like I said you are the best!

Dang, this is fascinating! I'm really intrigued by the way engineers boldly went into the future in the Atomic and Space age without the tools they have today. Your disassembly is an insight into brilliant design and materials selection. Thanks for sharing details and great pics!
As am I, Sir. Post-war shaving tanks as I like to call em:thumbup: It has been my pleasure to share!

Classic thread, great work Captain.
Thank you for the kind words, Alex:smile:
Good stuff!
:cool:

This is totally great! I couldn't be more pleased. My 1-9 Bottom Dial has be resurrected! Thanks so much CAP!!! Like I said you are the best!
Don't mention it, Glenn:biggrin: I am glad that you are pleased with the results of my work! I am really fond of how the doors pop open when you operate the TTO knob. That gold plating sure presents the original design well! There was marked improvement on the door operation from when I first received it.

Just for the official record Tom Owens aka Copierguy has done us another total solid and checked both his 1-9 and 1-5 Bottom Dials and has determined that the Bottom Dial models do not have a 1/4 turn to lock like the standard Fatboys have. Thanks so much Tom!

Last edited:
Top Bottom