What's new

Desert Island Spice - The Fall Edition

Gentlemen,

If you were forced to cook using only ONE spice for the entire fall season, what would that one spice be? How would you use it? What normal "fall dishes" would you absolutely not be able to make because of this choice?

For me, it would have to be cinnamon. So many desserts require cinnamon, that I think it would be foolish to exclude it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
One spice? Your're hurtin' me here Jessy. I assume garlic is not a spice, but what about garlic powder...is that a spice? Well excluding garlic, and if I must, it has to be chili powder. Taco's, carne guisada, beans, chili, rubs, tortilla soup.

But all that above just wouldn't be good without salt. It's used in every dish I know. Salt may not fall into a spice category, its more of a seasoning.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
One spice? Your're hurtin' me here Jessy. I assume garlic is not a spice, but what about garlic powder...is that a spice? Well excluding garlic, and if I must, it has to be chili powder. Taco's, carne guisada, beans, chili, rubs, tortilla soup.

But all that above just wouldn't be good without salt. It's used in every dish I know. Salt may not fall into a spice category, its more of a seasoning.
There is plenty of salt in the sea. Build a fire and boil heaps of water, top up and repeat many times. Salt will be left behind.

I would go with chili. If the taste of something is a not to desire then up the heat and you won't care any more :lol:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There is plenty of salt in the sea. Build a fire and boil heaps of water, top up and repeat many times. Salt will be left behind.

I would go with chili. If the taste of something is a not to desire then up the heat and you won't care any more :lol:

Ha, I don't see no sea from where I'm standing.:tongue_sm

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Again with the "one" ?

Nope. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Allspice, Sage . . . ok I'll stop there.

It would probably be bay leaf for me - along with S&P you can make some great comfort food using just those seasonings

Chili powder here. I haven't found anything that it doesn't make better. And it ain't Fall unless there's a pot of chili going.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
If I was deserted on an island then the spice of choice has to be for fish, crab, shrimp, shark and if you can catch one, the Sand Snipe. So, it has to be lime chipolte.

Wait...is bacon a spice?

Is crushed red pepper a spice or a condiment? If it is a spice it is my pick.
$chile-crushed-red-pepper-flakes-1.jpg

If not then I'll take chili powder.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice choice. I really like crushed chillies. I go through a lot here. One of my favourite things is to make pasta like fusilli, farfalli, or even penne, added to a pan in which I've put a few tablespoons of olive oil and heated up a few (20?) pepper flakes and the added garlic, onion, sweet peppers, mushrooms, oregano, or basil or both . . . all of which is cooked to the right texture before I add the cooked pasta. Add some crumbled feta and eat. I like it warm but I think the recipe I based this on was actually for a cold pasta salad.

Another vote for smoked paprika (if I was forced to use just one spice, a terrible thought). My daughter has taken to calling it "the secret ingredient."

Top Bottom