What's new

Who got a "Goose?

That's crazy! good for you man. i get 10-12 shaves maximum. i do a 3 pass shave usually. what's your routine? maybe i am doing something wrong!

2.5 passes. WTG, XTG, and touchup on jawline. Usually use Williams soap for slickness. If you want to discuss blade longevity, check out the Excalibur Club. We are all about using blades to their full potential (beyond what most folks get from them).

2.5 passes. WTG, XTG, and touchup on jawline. Usually use Williams soap for slickness. If you want to discuss blade longevity, check out the Excalibur Club. We are all about using blades to their full potential (beyond what most folks get from them).

Hmm interesting that's pretty much what I do. 2 passes WTG, ATG. I use MDC. It could beard type!

Second hand Satin Mongoose on the way! I will soon join the ranks with you fellas! This will be the first SE razor I will have ever actually shaved with too so I'm even more excited

Used mine today. Shave #26 on my Feather Pro. Still going good!

That's a lot of shaves on one blade KJ, good job. I get around 20 shaves from a Kai mild using the Cobra. I'm hitting 10+ with the Mongoose.

I stopped using the Feather Pro after the 22nd shave on it. So far just 2 shaves on the Kai Mild, but will see how far it goes-I believe the Feather would have kept going, but I got a tad bit nervous.

marty

I stopped using the Feather Pro after the 22nd shave on it. So far just 2 shaves on the Kai Mild, but will see how far it goes-I believe the Feather would have kept going, but I got a tad bit nervous.

marty

Hi Marty,
i would be interterested to hear your opinion about the Fateher Pro vs the Kai Mild
For the time being i am on shave #6 on the Kai and ordered some Feather Pros...

thanks
Tam

Blades arrived today, so naturally I had to take mine for the first spin. I am, unfortunately, disappointed. The razor was far too mild. It took me two passes more than my normal routine with my 2013 R41. Using the Feather Pros, and I know the blades themselves aren't lacking for my hair, because I've used them before in the Feather AC SS with great results. I'm wondering if placement in this razor is the problem. Wondering if the Super Pros would be more well suited for me.

The razor feels great and looks great though.

Blades arrived today, so naturally I had to take mine for the first spin. I am, unfortunately, disappointed. The razor was far too mild. It took me two passes more than my normal routine with my 2013 R41. Using the Feather Pros, and I know the blades themselves aren't lacking for my hair, because I've used them before in the Feather AC SS with great results. I'm wondering if placement in this razor is the problem. Wondering if the Super Pros would be more well suited for me.

The razor feels great and looks great though.

I would think that the Super Pro would be closer to what you are looking for. Even with those it still might fall short. Tryablade has samples of the different blades so that you are not out for a entire pack of 20.

The Pro Guards work fine with the Mongoose razor. It sounds like you did not have the razor head put together correctly. You do not want to use the o-ring and you want to make sure that the blade is all the way down on the nubs and then that the nubs seat down into the bottom plate. The only blades that do not work with the Mongoose are the Feather Lite and the Dorco blades. Hope this helps some.

i would need your help,

i got a perfect shave with my mongoose and a Kai mild, then after I took the blade out and reloaded the next shave was horrible....blood everywhere...I thought something happened with my blade and the day after I loaded a Feather pro and I faced again a nightmare....am I doing something wrong when loading ?
the blade is all the way down...
btw how to check that the nibs seat down the top plate...trying to rotate ?
thanks

Tam

As long as the back faces of the cap and base plate are aligned, you shouldn't have a problem.

I had a few rough shaves early on, but after I found the correct shaving angle, I have had nothing but smooth and irritation-free shaves with the Kai Mild and Feather Pro. Because of the size, shape and weight of the head, it took some practice to maintain the correct angle below my jaw and on my neck.

Well, in my view the Pro is breathtakingly sharp and close, and has a good life expectancy. I like the Kai mild but it isn't in the same league.

My thoughts exactly. The Feather Pro is sharper than the Kai Mild. In fact, the Feather becomes the Kai Mild after 10 shaves or so-the sharpness isn't as present, but the blade still works efforlessly.

The Kai Mild doesn't even feel like your shaving; the auditory output is definitely not like that of the Feather. However, the shaves are effortless. With the Kai, you can be on cruise control from the first shave-the Feather needs some shaves under its belt first.

Interestingly enough, I have had weepers from the Kai (6 shaves so far) but had none with the Feather Pro.

marty

i would need your help,

i got a perfect shave with my mongoose and a Kai mild, then after I took the blade out and reloaded the next shave was horrible....blood everywhere...I thought something happened with my blade and the day after I loaded a Feather pro and I faced again a nightmare....am I doing something wrong when loading ?
thanks

Tam

I had the same issue. One day a great shave and the next day roughness and blood. I have thrown out the blade immediately. I was complaining about that when I wrote my SOTD. Looking at the picture for the SOTD I took before, I have seen at the back of the razor, that the top and the base plate of the Mongoose were not flush assembled. Since then I always have an eye on the back of the razor when I change the blade or (more often) the handle.

$Pixlr_20150116154343019.jpg

Last edited:
i would need your help,

thanks

Tam

I had the same problem in the beginning. I now load the blade over the top plate making sure it seats over the tabs. Then install the bottom plate. You can feel the tabs click into the bottom plate. I hold the two together as I screw on the handle. Before shaving I verify by looking at the blade exposure to make sure everything is even. The good thing is I don't have to change a blade but every 7 to 10 days.

Top Bottom