What's new

Who got a "Goose?

Changed to a lighter handle and had a quite wonderful shave! I used a Razorock handle. Can't remember the model name for some reason, it was on an open comb DE model...

Well I have a satin head on the way!! Can't wait to give this one a try. I already have the Pro and Guard which I used with my Feather AC with great success. Should be fun!

The second shave with the Kai blade was extremely smooth. I've used these blades before in the Cobra's as well as stick razors and to me they feel like a Feather Pro blade that has a couple shaves on it. Right where the harsh edge is gone and the blade is right in the sweet spot. I bought two packs of the Kai blades from Bullgoose so thank you Clint for that pricing information, the Mongoose code did still work in case others would be interested in using it.

The more I use this razor the more I like it. The biggest upgrade for me was changing the handle. It improved immensely once I installed the Kronos handle. Just a way more functional and enjoyable razor now. It's so much more comfortable to use as well, like driving a Ferrari instead of a dump truck. I'd urge others to try different handles on theirs as well.

David, your certainly welcome. I've shaved everyday since the NewYear with the Goose. For the month of January I used the Kai Mild blade and I agree with David's evaluation. Bought a sample of blades and I'm spending this month trying out different blades. For me the Feather Pro blades were about the same as the Kai Mild just more harsh in the beginning. This blade for this week will be the Kai Sharp. Interested in seeing how it compares to the other blades I've used.

David, your certainly welcome. I've shaved everyday since the NewYear with the Goose. For the month of January I used the Kai Mild blade and I agree with David's evaluation. Bought a sample of blades and I'm spending this month trying out different blades. For me the Feather Pro blades were about the same as the Kai Mild just more harsh in the beginning. This blade for this week will be the Kai Sharp. Interested in seeing how it compares to the other blades I've used.

I didn't realize that Kai Sharp blades existed for these until your post just now. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on them.

I didn't realize that Kai Sharp blades existed for these until your post just now. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on them.

As you've noticed the blades changes as they are used, so I am testing each blade for 7 shaves. I'll post up next weekend with a comparison to the Kai Mild and Feather Pro.

I will be receiving a pack of Pro supers today (with a few DE blades I haven't tried) So I'm looking forward to trying the supers at some point.

Right now I'm using a regular pro with 5 shaves on it so I'll keep using it until it's time to switch to the super. I'm quit curious with the difference.

I will be receiving a pack of Pro supers today (with a few DE blades I haven't tried) So I'm looking forward to trying the supers at some point.

Right now I'm using a regular pro with 5 shaves on it so I'll keep using it until it's time to switch to the super. I'm quit curious with the difference.

The Super blades are a little thicker and have a slightly different feel. I only put three shaves on the Super blade and it didn't smooth out much for me at that point. It could be me getting used to the razor as well. I have it set aside and will go back to it. I bailed on it only because the razor is new to me and I wanted to try a blade that was more familiar to see if it made a difference. Many say that the Supers are the best blade for this razor so I have to go back and put some more shaves on the blade once I finish the Kai blade I'm using. I'm interested in your thoughts on them as well.

The Kai Titan blades to me right from the start are just like a Feather pro that has about two shaves on it, where all of the harshness has vanished and it's in the sweet spot giving smooth comfortable shaves. I think these are my preferred blade for this razor.

I do enjoy the Feather Pro blades as well I just prefer them after I'm a shave or two in with the blade.

The Super blades are a little thicker and have a slightly different feel. I only put three shaves on the Super blade and it didn't smooth out much for me at that point. It could be me getting used to the razor as well. I have it set aside and will go back to it. I bailed on it only because the razor is new to me and I wanted to try a blade that was more familiar to see if it made a difference. Many say that the Supers are the best blade for this razor so I have to go back and put some more shaves on the blade once I finish the Kai blade I'm using. I'm interested in your thoughts on them as well.

The Kai Titan blades to me right from the start are just like a Feather pro that has about two shaves on it, where all of the harshness has vanished and it's in the sweet spot giving smooth comfortable shaves. I think these are my preferred blade for this razor.

I do enjoy the Feather Pro blades as well I just prefer them after I'm a shave or two in with the blade.

The Feather Pro blades do smooth out with a few shaves on them. I'm 2 shaves in on the Kai Sharp blade so this is just my initial thoughts on the blade. For me the Feather Pro blades felt sharper than the Kai Mild blade but much harsher for the first few shaves. The Kai Sharp blade feels sharper just like the Feather Pro but very smooth. For me it might be smoother than the Kai Mild. I'll update my thoughts after this week ends. The next blade up for testing with be the Feather Guard then moving onto the Pro Super.

The Feather Pro blades do smooth out with a few shaves on them. I'm 2 shaves in on the Kai Sharp blade so this is just my initial thoughts on the blade. For me the Feather Pro blades felt sharper than the Kai Mild blade but much harsher for the first few shaves. The Kai Sharp blade feels sharper just like the Feather Pro but very smooth. For me it might be smoother than the Kai Mild. I'll update my thoughts after this week ends. The next blade up for testing with be the Feather Guard then moving onto the Pro Super.

Where did you get the Kai Sharp blades? I saw some on Ebay but that's about it.

Where did you get the Kai Sharp blades? I saw some on Ebay but that's about it.

I got some samples from Try A Blade. The only vendor for normal purchases I have seen is Razor Blades and More. This makes them more expensive than most of the other options. So the costs will have to be taken into consideration in my final choice.

For RazorBladesAndMore if you type the word shave in the coupon discount box and hit apply to order it'll save you 5%. It's not a lot but it's something.

Thread interject, here.....

As is the case with, I suspect, many of you the change to a new style of shaving can be a bit intimidating. What I have read about the Mongoose over the last 28 pages tells me that the change can be less of an issue than I had imagined.

I'm 65. I used DE for about 4 years through college and then BIC's came out. It was easy and fast (when I bothered to shave -it was the '60's). I have shaved with BIC's or multi-blade Schick's or Gillette's since then.

Now I want to slow things down and luxuriate in a nice warm lather shave. I found B&B. What to buy? I found that the prospect of re-learning the concept of shaving style was going to be a bit daunting. That said, I was ready to pounce on using the newest metals and technology coupled with the blissful elegance of a DE BBS shave. I quickly sparked to ATT.

I was ready to pull the trigger today. As I was meandering through the pages of B&B this morning, I accidently ended up in the SE section. What? I don't want a cartridge! What's this Mongoose thing? Oh, stainless steel, same basic shaving stroke that I am used to, better blades than a disposable, not much of a learning curve? Sign me up? Oh, not available yet. And there is another type called the Cobra? Well, looks like I'll practice with a Cobra while I wait for supplies of the Mongoose to catch up again.

Thanks to all on this thread that have made my day with their willingness to take on and champion a better mousetrap. I did not know that there was even an SE that didn't begin with the letters G or S, and now I seem to have found a couple variants that will end up as my new cutters.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
The problem with these razors right now is availability. The Cobra, King Cobra and Mongoose are all unavailable at the moment.
Many of us here gravitated toward the Mongoose as opposed to the Cobra razors because it is all stainless steel instead of Zamak. I personally love the way they shave (especially the King Cobra) but I won't spend the $170 or $249 price of the Cobra for a non stainless steel razor.

There should be one more all stainless Feather Pro style razor called the Huntlee coming out but it's taking forever and has been pushed back many times. I'm told it'll be made by the same shop that makes the Mongoose.

The ATT razors are an outstanding choice as well. I have two of them and 5 of their base plates. I wouldn't say that these are hands down better than or even easier to shave with than the ATT razor. The ATT I'd consider to be slightly higher quality but the Mongoose is impressive as well. I suspect that they both have about the same learning curve. It'll take you about 30 shaves before you're good at this with either razor. You have to pay attention to pressure and blade angle with both of these razors. It's not difficult at all as it's just developing the proper muscle memory. They aren't like the cart razors where you just slam it into your face and scrape. If you do that with either of these you won't like the result but I suspect you already know that from your past DE use.

I suspect that you see these as a smaller learning curve because you see a lot of people like myself that have been shaving with a de razor pick one of these up and have it figured out in 4 days. What we fail to mention in this thread is that we've been shaving with a de razor for the past 16 months so the pressure and angle are instinctive.

In choosing between the ATT and the Mongoose you're choosing between the two different styles of blades. Do you prefer the Feather Pro style blades of the DE style blades. Personally I like both so I'll be keeping the ATT and using it in addition to the Mongoose.

Also, you sir have excellent taste in razors. The ones you are selecting are in my opinion some of the very best razors available.

It's definitely worth the small amount of effort it will take to figure this out. I'm easily getting the closest, longest lasting, most comfortable shaves of my life.

The Mongoose people have almost completed their last orders. Once they do the Mongoose razor will be sold through the BullGoose Shaving site. Also, Stan at ATT offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like the razor you can get your money back or swap it out for a different razor. So you can try the ATT for the cost of shipping which is about $6. If you go ATT do consider the new slant model. I'd recommend the S2 open comb slant razor from ATT or the Mongoose once it's available again.

Last edited:
The problem with these razors right now is availability. The Cobra, King Cobra and Mongoose are all unavailable at the moment.
Many of us here gravitated toward the Mongoose as opposed to the Cobra razors because it is all stainless steel instead of Zamak. I personally love the way they shave (especially the King Cobra) but I won't spend the $170 or $249 price of the Cobra for a non stainless steel razor.

There should be one more all stainless Feather Pro style razor called the Huntlee coming out but it's taking forever and has been pushed back many times. I'm told it'll be made by the same shop that makes the Mongoose.

The Mongoose people have almost completed their last orders. Once they do the Mongoose razor will be sold through the BullGoose Shaving site. Also, Stan at ATT offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like the razor you can get your money back or swap it out for a different razor. So you can try the ATT for the cost of shipping which is about $6. If you go ATT do consider the new slant model. I'd recommend the S2 open comb slant razor from ATT or the Mongoose once it's available again.

Not sure why people put the term Zamak out there when talking about the Cobra and King Cobra razor. My understanding is that it is Nickel plated brass, although they do tend to have flaws in them from the casting.

It is my understanding that Phil is using the same shop that produced the Batch 1 razors for Mongoose. The Mongoose is now being made at a shop or shops in Florida.

It is my understanding that the Mongoose will still be sold direct and that it is still to be determined if it will be sold at Bullgoose.

I have no affiliation to any of these razors other than I own and use them. Hope some of this information helps.

Not sure why people put the term Zamak out there when talking about the Cobra and King Cobra razor. My understanding is that it is Nickel plated brass, although they do tend to have flaws in them from the casting.

It is my understanding that Phil is using the same shop that produced the Batch 1 razors for Mongoose. The Mongoose is now being made at a shop or shops in Florida.

It is my understanding that the Mongoose will still be sold direct and that it is still to be determined if it will be sold at Bullgoose.

I have no affiliation to any of these razors other than I own and use them. Hope some of this information helps.

My fault on the Zamak thing. I did some research and it is in fact plated brass so thank you for correcting me. I still think for the prices charged these should be all stainless steel and without imperfections, but at least the plated brass will stand the test of time.
As far as the Mongoose and Huntlee being made at the same shop, sorry I read that somewhere here on the forum. The statement apparently was true at one point and I didn't see any announcement of a change in manufacturing facilities. Then again I suppose it's not big news anyway so why bother. I believed it to still be factual but I suppose things can change at any time and likely have.

The Bullgoose thing was an announcement a while back directly from Phil at Bullgoose. There is even a "Mongoose" discount code on their site that will save you 15% on blades that fit the Mongoose razor. I haven't heard anything otherwise so I have no reason to believe this would have changed. Unless you have some information from the people at Mongoose or Phil at Bullgoose I'm not sure why this wouldn't still be factual. However, since you so have some detail about the construction location change I'll assume you have more recent information than I do and that your statement is correct.

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to share your updated information going forward.

My fault on the Zamak thing. I did some research and it is in fact plated brass so thank you for correcting me. I still think for the prices charged these should be all stainless steel and without imperfections, but at least the plated brass will stand the test of time.
As far as the Mongoose and Huntlee being made at the same shop, sorry I read that somewhere here on the forum. The statement apparently was true at one point and I didn't see any announcement of a change in manufacturing facilities. Then again I suppose it's not big news anyway so why bother. I believed it to still be factual but I suppose things can change at any time and likely have.

The Bullgoose thing was an announcement a while back directly from Phil at Bullgoose. There is even a "Mongoose" discount code on their site that will save you 15% on blades that fit the Mongoose razor. I haven't heard anything otherwise so I have no reason to believe this would have changed. Unless you have some information from the people at Mongoose or Phil at Bullgoose I'm not sure why this wouldn't still be factual. However, since you so have some detail about the construction location change I'll assume you have more recent information than I do and that your statement is correct.

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to share your updated information going forward.

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying you were all wrong. That was not my intention. Just trying to give some updated information because the Mongoose connections do not have a presence on B&B.

From what I have heard on Facebook and other shaving sites, production cost on the Mongoose are such that it might cause the price to go to high with the added margin needed for Phil to make any money. He made a statement on his facebook page several weeks ago saying that it is not 100% he will have the Mongoose for sale and the Mongoose people have said that the razor will still be available direct even if they have other vendors selling it.

I own the Cobra and the King Cobra and agree that the price is to high for a razor with its flaws. If I had not purchased them before the Mongoose I would most likely not own them. That does not mean I am selling them however, because I also enjoy the shave I get from those razors.

Top Bottom