What's new

Who got a "Goose?

Hmm weird, I'm taking a break for awhile from it but I have like 3 shaves left from the blade. So next time I'll see if the next blade is the same way

"BullGoose Shaving" has said that he will not be selling them (Mongoose) after all. I wonder when the next batch will be available? Not that I am looking for one. I had one, used it, and sold it. It's a very nice razor but not a game changer.

"BullGoose Shaving" has said that he will not be selling them (Mongoose) after all. I wonder when the next batch will be available? Not that I am looking for one. I had one, used it, and sold it. It's a very nice razor but not a game changer.

Yeah, there was some talk in a thread a while back about whether or not they would be able to price them in a way that secondary vendors like Phil could sell them and still make enough profit to make it worth offering them. So this news doesn't surprise me.

I agree with you that out of the box the Mongoose isn't a game changer. It was too mild and left me with too much clean up to do after the initial passes.

I found that if you add a shim to it then the aggressiveness goes way up and the shaves are on par with what you'd get from the Cobra razors. I know that you shouldn't have to add a shim to a high priced all stainless steel razor but I'm really liking the results.
Swapping out the handle for the ATT Kronos handle gave it more agility as well and removed the sluggish tank like feel that it had as well. These modifications put it much closer to the razor that I expected.

In my opinion there should have been some additional testing done by people who have tried the Cobra Razors. I wish that I would have gotten to test it myself because the version I would have released would have had a more agile handle, been more aggressive, accepted the Dorko blades, and had some additional pin locking mechanism between the base plate and the cap to eliminate the movement that is present when tightening the razor. A razor with these modifications would have been much more of a Cobra killer as it's name implies. Offering different base plates with varying levels of aggressiveness would be a huge improvement also.

I'm thinking I might make the modification to accept the Dorko blades myself with at Dremel and a small cutting attachment. There is no reason that I can think of that this wouldn't be possible and fairly simple to do. Not catching this incompatibility as well as the constant switching of handles with every batch tells me that the testing wasn't thorough enough.

All in all with the modifications I've made I feel the razor is excellent and that it is a game changer. I hope that they make some of the same changes I've made on future releases.

Yeah, there was some talk in a thread a while back about whether or not they would be able to price them in a way that secondary vendors like Phil could sell them and still make enough profit to make it worth offering them. So this news doesn't surprise me.

I agree with you that out of the box the Mongoose isn't a game changer. It was too mild and left me with too much clean up to do after the initial passes.

I found that if you add a shim to it then the aggressiveness goes way up and the shaves are on par with what you'd get from the Cobra razors. I know that you shouldn't have to add a shim to a high priced all stainless steel razor but I'm really liking the results.
Swapping out the handle for the ATT Kronos handle gave it more agility as well and removed the sluggish tank like feel that it had as well. These modifications put it much closer to the razor that I expected.

In my opinion there should have been some additional testing done by people who have tried the Cobra Razors. I wish that I would have gotten to test it myself because the version I would have released would have had a more agile handle, been more aggressive, accepted the Dorko blades, and had some additional pin locking mechanism between the base plate and the cap to eliminate the movement that is present when tightening the razor. A razor with these modifications would have been much more of a Cobra killer as it's name implies. Offering different base plates with varying levels of aggressiveness would be a huge improvement also.

I'm thinking I might make the modification to accept the Dorko blades myself with at Dremel and a small cutting attachment. There is no reason that I can think of that this wouldn't be possible and fairly simple to do. Not catching this incompatibility as well as the constant switching of handles with every batch tells me that the testing wasn't thorough enough.

All in all with the modifications I've made I feel the razor is excellent and that it is a game changer. I hope that they make some of the same changes I've made on future releases.

I am glad that you have been able to make the razor the way you want it. Almost all of the changes that you have mentioned would make it a razor that I would not want. Everyone is different and I am happy with the razor the way it is.

Count me in the group that had one, used it, gave up on it and sold it. The workmanship and quality were very good, but I think this razor missed the boat by not taking full advantage of its best asset, the blades. I am hoping that they develop a more aggressive version, and if they do I would not hesitate to buy one.

I am glad that you have been able to make the razor the way you want it. Almost all of the changes that you have mentioned would make it a razor that I would not want. Everyone is different and I am happy with the razor the way it is.

Rob,
Yeah thanks, I'm glad it's working out for you as well.

I can only assume that you like the milder version and the heavier handle because having it accept Dorko blades is a plus and adding some additional locking pins between the cap and base plate would be beneficial no matter what aggressiveness or size of handle you'd prefer. I know that I've put it together where the base plate and cap have slid out of place before, even without a shim in the razor I have to pay attention to verify that it is lined up correctly.

The aggressiveness is where the multiple base plates would really come in handy so that it would appeal to more people regardless of their preference to different levels of aggression.

They did hit some aspects perfectly like the stainless steel construction material and standard threaded handle. I do see more opportunities for them though as I'd buy additional plates if they were sold separately.

Top Bottom