What's new

Who got a "Goose?

it looks like the shape of the head the technique is different than
with a shovel-head? thanks, douglas
Yes, but it's not like you're the tympanist being asked to play the oboe. The Mongoose has a bit of blade gap (like a DE, between the blade and safety bar), so the angle, while steep, steeper than a DE angle, is not nearly as "almost flat to the face" as a shovelhead. That's about it.

I've gotten used to SE razors and pretty much prefer them across the board -- and am surprised, myself, to be saying so -- but the big advantage to the Mongoose is for those who think the modern SE blades, like the Feather Pro, are better than everything else out there.

I'd probably have to modify this statement further if you're talking about using Feather Pro/Supers. The "Super" blades have a whole lot more blade exposure, changing up the razor quite a bit.

Last edited:
Okay, first shave impression of the Goose. The rig for today was;

B2 Mongoose
Feather Pro
Le Pere Lucien
Custom 2 band finest brush

For a DE user, this head is big. It's also heavy, but not so much as my PILS which made the weight a non-issue. I did my usual three pass with a touch up, and am only finding one little area on one jaw line that could use a little more attention. Not bad for the first time out with not only a new razor, but for me a new type of razor. This is obviously my first SE. The WTG pass was quite easy, and once I found the sweet spot (this razor seems to like a steep angle) there were no issues at all. With the second pass I ran into a little issue on my neck. I'm used to employing the "bullfrog" technique on my XTG pass on the neck, and the mere width of the head made this approach a little more difficult. Again, adjustments in technique to suit the razor made it all fine. On the ATG pass on my neck I did suffer a small nick. It was absolutely no fault of the Mongoose, and I knew a nanosecond afterward what I had done. Definite operator error, and a cold water splash was enough to seal things up. Part of this might also have been due to me opting for the Feather blade right out of the box, but heck.....

So is this the end all razor that will prompt me to list all my DE's on the BST.....no. Is it a fine piece of kit, expertly made, that gives one heck of a shave.....absolutely. It will be fun to see how things progress as well. I primarily use Feather DE blades, and in my experience the second shave is always the best. I also thought the BBS-1 and PILS were "decent" shavers until I had used each three or four times. I now proclaim them to be "among the best available". Pretty much the same for the ATT Slant. In fact I'm going to sell my iKon slant and get a second cap for the ATT twins. But I digress.......

Nice write-up, John. And of course you won't want to list all your DE's on the BST before the third or fourth shave with the Mongoose ;-)

I'll get some pics up once we return home. I must say however, today's shave was closer, smoother, and much more comfortable. I'm new to the world of SE razors, and there's little doubt anything negative I experienced yesterday was due to technique. Today I used a very steep angle, which really isn't that steep considering the design of the head. Sheesh.....that probably makes more sense if you're looking at an end view of the head.

Im going to give this Feather blade a few more shaves, and then try a Kai. I'm also going to give the Big Bomber handle a shot.

I'll get some pics up once we return home. I must say however, today's shave was closer, smoother, and much more comfortable. I'm new to the world of SE razors, and there's little doubt anything negative I experienced yesterday was due to technique. Today I used a very steep angle, which really isn't that steep considering the design of the head. Sheesh.....that probably makes more sense if you're looking at an end view of the head.

Im going to give this Feather blade a few more shaves, and then try a Kai. I'm also going to give the Big Bomber handle a shot.

So... now are all your DE razors on the way out?

Checking in. Got on the Batch 2 list late, 15 October. Still no invoice.

If anyone has recently gotten their invoice could you please post the date you were added to the list? I think some of us here are figuratively dying of anticipation and it might take off the edge.

I contacted them regarding my lack of invoice recently. It seems there were some delays in the process, which is of course inevitable. Anyway, I was assured that I am indeed still on the list, and they are working hard to get through their list.

If you send them an e-mail, they will get back to you.

You have to just be patience. They have had some production issues. Don't forget this is just a couple of guys doing it part-time. I got on the list early, Sept. 6 and I got the razor on Nov. 15.
It's a very nice razor indeed but there is only so much a razor can do. Now that the honeymoon is over it has crossed my mine to sell it. Nothing wrong with it but not sure if I really need it.

People want to compare it to a Cobra , does it shave better than a Gem 1912 ? I get my best shaves from that.
It's more comparable to the Cobra because it takes the same kind of blades.

I bet it doesn't shave any netter than your 1912, no, would be my best guess/short answer. But maybe.

That is, for me I can get BBS from either of them; the 1912 is less likely to cause any weepers on my neck from chasing a BBS, but also will not give as long lasting or as fast a shave. And the Mogoose will get me SAS / DFS in fewer passes. So the tradeoff... usually I prefer BBS no weepers, but I'm also in a bigger hirry on weekdays.

I much prefer the wider blades (and the Mongoose) for head shaving, finally.

On price? 1912 is pretty much unbeatable afaik. 1924 right there, too.

Well RAD has got me. My ATT S2 will arrive soon, and I'm already set to get a Mongoose when I can. I only had one razor for awhile, my beloved ATT M2, and thought perhaps I was immune to RAD... but then all these awesome razors keep getting made. Must... buy... :drool:

I got mine last week! It's a beautiful razor. Definitely milder and smoother than the cobra classic yet just as effective. Takes very little time to learn. No irritation what so ever. Love it so far

I got one the batch 2 waiting list on 10/7/14. Just received and paid my invoice for the satin head with both satin handles.

Top Bottom