What's new

Who got a "Goose?

The goose upped the bar through the roof, quality craftsmanship, flawless customer service and communication second to none a complete class act. This is the must have razor of 2014.

Does anyone want to compare it to the Cobra as far as the shave itself goes? Which is smoother and what about aggression?
Which one feels more aggressive?

Does anyone want to compare it to the Cobra as far as the shave itself goes? Which is smoother and what about aggression?
Which one feels more aggressive?

I too am curious to how this compares to the Cobra Classic, especially for someone just starting out with single edge blades.

I can't get away with watching a video while at work. Would someone be able to paraphrase what he says about how the Mongoose and Cobra compare?

Thanks in advance.

I can't get away with watching a video while at work. Would someone be able to paraphrase what he says about how the Mongoose and Cobra compare?
Thanks in advance.

He does not compare the Mongoose to the Cobra. He just comments on the difference between blades.

Thank you. Now hopefully someone will be able to compare the two soon.

For what it's worth, on other threads 2 people have said the Mongoose is a smoother razor and not aggressive at all. Of course as with everything else, you will have to try it yourself to know for sure.

He makes the comment about it being slightly smoother than the Cobra in the first video. Don't have a Cobra so can't comment myself.

I own a Cobra Classic and my initial impression is that the Mongoose provides a smoother shave regardless of the blade used. (Thus far I have used both a Kai Mild and Feather Professional.) While my King Cobra Classic is currently out on walkabout, I had the same impression of it when I first received it.

I do not consider the Cobra Classic an aggressive razor, but the relative smoothness of the Mongoose might lead someone to call it less aggressive or mild. Regardless of how you describe the Mongoose, the razor uses the same blades and is capable of providing an exceptionally close shave. Those that have used a Cobra Classic, King Cobra, Feather Artist Club or Kai Excelia can attest to just how close these razors (or the blades used in them) can shave. The Mongoose joins the club in this regard, but with a design, build and choice of handles never seen in the marketplace.

I am unprepared to proclaim the Mongoose is superior to the Cobra Classic - or vice versa - and I definitely will not be selling my Cobras. (They are the genre classics now after all.) However, the Mongoose's cost and stainless steel design is almost a no-brainier for the SE enthusiast...or the DE shaver interested in testing the waters of another stream. It may be a while before I can finance the purchase of an "extra" Mongoose to send out on a B&B tour, but this is indeed a razor worthy of such sharing. (I always want the best for my friends.)

Of course, YMMV. ; )

Last edited:
Mongoose (Kai Mild Guard)
Acqua di Parma
Kent BS2

Perfect finish to the razor. It is a joy to look at and hold.
Shocking weight (I got the legend handle) .. but perfect ergonomics.
No slip .. very secure.
And then the real fun began:

I don't chase a BBS, but did achieve it with two passes.
No weepers, no tenderness, perfect results.
No AS, balm, or follow-up .. just a warm water rinse.
My face still feels wonderful.

$IMG_0361.jpg

So I finally got my hands on the Goose. This was my sabbatical exception. It met and surpassed my expectations. Amazing build quality, very smooth, the back of the head did not get in the way like I was worried it might. It holds the blade perfectly, without any flex like the cobra did. I prefer more aggressive razors or straights, and this is just as efficient with beard removal but no harsh feelings or blade feel. I'm really impressed over all and cost was great. I will do a follow up, but it was nice to be excited about something again, after so many razors all seem the same to me at this point.

However, the Mongoose's cost and stainless steel design is almost a no-brainier for the SE enthusiast...or the DE shaver interested in testing the waters of another stream.

This was the information I was looking for. I'll probably pass on the early offerings and wait for this to make it to the mainstream before I take the plunge. Thanks!

The Cobra has been my daily shaver for over a year (Feather Professional). I am on the list for a Mongoose as I like the idea of Stainless and all reviews have been good. Am thinking that Mongoose would be great Christmas or BD gifts for my sons.

The Cobra has been my daily shaver for over a year (Feather Professional). I am on the list for a Mongoose as I like the idea of Stainless and all reviews have been good. Am thinking that Mongoose would be great Christmas or BD gifts for my sons.

Good to see you on the forum again Jeff. You were nice enough to send me some Kai blades about a year ago for me to try. I since sold my Cobra but I am on the list for a Mongoose also. This one looks like a real sweetheart.

Last edited:
Top Bottom