What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have been in a slow process of replacing some of my cooking pots and pans. The aim has been to upgrade to medium to high quality.
Now I'm looking at buying two Enameled cast iron Casserole pot. One large round to cover most cooking stews etc and a shallow oval for smaller meals and so it can cook a whole fish.
The price of what appears to be the high quality is not cheap here and this has got me reviewing my wants to needs on this item.
I have been looking at a few brands online.
Le Creuset. looks to be top quality with reviews saying the extra enamal coating makes this a life time purchase but the price is a killer.
Le Chasser again looks good quality but have read mixed reviews. Most say it competes with the above pot. It is a bit cheaper
Staub. again looks good quality some say it is heavier than the others. Specs show it can take a very high heat. It is not cheap at all here.
Then there are the more budget brands which I am trying to avoid BUT if the deliver the same result and don't chip, crack or is a real pain to live with, then I am happy to look at them.

So after dribbling on a bit my question is do I go for the established brand and just wait for a good deal. This may include bring into NZ or do I get a lower cost pot? Any recomendations on brand etc is most welcome.

ps The large one needs to be the biggest, SWMBO has spoken..........after all, happy wife happy life.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
If you can hold out for the Aldi ones to come up for sale, their kitchen stuff is very good value for money. The pots are a little lighter than Le Creuset, but they cost 10% of the price, and are still well made.

proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks David. We have a few shops here in NZ that I can look at for the cheaper stock. I am picking that they will have a few post winter sales to clear their stock, so now is the time to get a bargan. I am in no rush to buy other than my itchy buy now finger.
If the lower cost pots holds up well compare to the high end ones, then these may be what I go for.
The biggest Le Chasseur is 32cm - capacity 8.0 Litres. I made the mistake of showing the Mrs the difference in the 28 & 32cm. She is now firm on the 32cm
8.0 Litres does not look to be a common size.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, didn't you buy a cast iron skillet from Lodge? They also offer enamel coated Dutch ovens.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dutch-oven/

Amazon carries them. They get great ratings. I'm not sure if they offer the ovals.

I own two Pots from Martha Stewart. I use them constantly and they've held up very well. Nice big handle that can take the oven. She offers ovals.

Just a few suggestions that may or may not meet your taste and budget.

Le Creuset is pretty nice, we replaced all our cookware and bakeware with this but the only way we could afford this was our son had a PT gig with them while on break from college so we got like 45% off we also replaced out cutlery with Wusthof Classic, it's the best stuff we have ever owned

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, didn't you buy a cast iron skillet from Lodge? They also offer enamel coated Dutch ovens.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dutch-oven/

Amazon carries them. They get great ratings. I'm not sure if they offer the ovals.

I own two Pots from Martha Stewart. I use them constantly and they've held up very well. Nice big handle that can take the oven. She offers ovals.

Just a few suggestions that may or may not meet your taste and budget.
Thanks Aaron suggestions much appresiate. Options outside of my current angle of view is just what I need. I think that I had set my mind on wanting the best but on this item that may not be worth the price difference.

I saw one when out and about a few months ago. This looks good, 8 litres and the price is only $70NZD.

$POT.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What's the brand name?

I agree, Maybe buy one pot then give it a good workout for a month. If it meets the requirements of SWMBO, then go back and get the oval and/or a smaller one.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What's the brand name?

I agree, Maybe buy one pot then give it a good workout for a month. If it meets the requirements of SWMBO, then go back and get the oval and/or a smaller one.
It does not state a brand but the outlets is middle road for what they stock. I am thinking of just doing it. At that price there is not much risk with the little woman, I am sure she will like it.

http://www.stevens.co.nz/product/Flame-Cast-Iron-Oval-Casserole-8-Litre?p=5808061

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They have a store down here in Wellington as well, I will have a look on my way home today. It's POETS day so I will go soon.
The drive to Auckland is approx 8 hours by the way.

Ha, that's funny. Shoot, I live in Texas it's eight hours to anywhere here...even across town.

DO NOT be afraid of the price of good cookware

The wife and I purchased a set of 12 robins egg blue La Creuset enameled cast iron pots and roasting pans USED when we were in college in the early 1970's

We still have them and use them today....

When we die someone will get them USED once more and they will start another half century of providing exceptional food.

I bought a set of professional tin lined Mauviel pots.... if you want to talk about expensive. they were a LOT 45 year ago and now they cost what a decent used car would run you :yesnod:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
They have a store down here in Wellington as well, I will have a look on my way home today. It's POETS day so I will go soon.
The drive to Auckland is approx 8 hours by the way.

Ha, sorry...didn't see on the website that it's in Wellington too. I can't for you to get one. Then you can make my Carne Guisada recipe.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ha, sorry...didn't see on the website that it's in Wellington too. I can't for you to get one. Then you can make my Carne Guisada recipe.
.....and I was just about to drive to Auckland, lucky!
I got one on my way home. Now this is big and the Mrs was not upset at all. It will fit a Leg of lamb in it easy.
Now tell me about this Carne Guisada taskmaster.

I really wanted a round one in the large but this was down from $200 to $70.
So I am still in the market for a oval shallow and maybe a large round but now I don't need it too big.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
.....and I was just about to drive to Auckland, lucky!
I got one on my way home. Now this is big and the Mrs was not upset at all. It will fit a Leg of lamb in it easy.
Now tell me about this Carne Guisada taskmaster.

I really wanted a round one in the large but this was down from $200 to $70.
So I am still in the market for a oval shallow and maybe a large round but now I don't need it too big.

Ok, good now you're ready for a good Mexican stew called Carne Guisada. Carne means beef and Guisada means gravy. I will post you a recipe tomorrow. It is so easy and delicious. Do you have access to a flour or corn tortilla?

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ok, good now you're ready for a good Mexican stew called Carne Guisada. Carne means beef and Guisada means gravy. I will post you a recipe tomorrow. Do you have access to a flour or corn tortilla?
yeah we have some Mexican stuff. Tortilla is easy to find. I like Mexican food.

Now a leg almost fits. If I cut off the Chump it is in easy.

$20140905_153735.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I wanted a large round but this with scratch the itch short term. They only had a larger oval so got this as a short term stop gap.
The recipe looks nice. I will make some for sure.

That oval looks great and I think you will love it for a starter. Don't use metal utensils as it will scratch the ceramic coating. Wood or plastic is to be used.

Top Bottom