What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

Wow! You guys are amazing cooks!

Just for discussion Aaron, usually we say Indian curry or Indian korma, there is no such entity as a curry korma. They are both synonyms. Just like Chai tea, it doesn't make sense. Chai is tea.

The only spice/herb which has the name curry in it are curry leaves. Usually curries are more spicy and virulent looking. Think red or dark coloured. Whilst korma's are blander, lighter in colour and involve the use of coconut, coconut milk or curd/yogurt. Korma's are always gravies while curries can be dry, semi dry or gravies.

Curry is what the end result is called. You can have a chicken curry, mutton curry, beans curry, peas curry etc. Doesn't matter if it's a veg or non-veg dish.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Ashwin. What is you favourite Indian meal ?

Edit: I see Aaron has already asked for your favourite Indian meal. Great minds think alike.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK dinner has be severed. There is left overs...........Aaron daylight savings start tonight, don't forget to make the adjustment when you land at Wellington airport.
Verdict very nice, I will try it again with a few tweaks. I would add the reserved paste to the onion to brown before adding the tomatoes and vinegar. It took a age to get brown. Next will be with Beef.
I had to buy some dry chillies....just a few, so are good to go with many more or just a couple in the big orange pot :lol:

$20140927_172122.jpg

That looks seriously good Chris. Some roasted papad and a raitha would compliment that really well.
My favourite meal?...well that's easy- Mutton biriyani with sweet beetroot chutney and onion raitha:001_smile.

I'm not a very good cook but promise to get some phenomenal vegetarian recipes from my mother and will share them when possible.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks Ashwin. I knew there was something missing to compliment this meal.
I will have it with some roasted papad & a raitha next time.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Now what to get next. I thought about getting a smaller pot but I think I will get more use out of a wide shallow.
A shallow 30cm/11.8 inches wide is what I am looking at, they are around 2.5 litres/2.3 Quarts

They are very similar but the Le Creuset has what looks to have more height in the lid. Will that matter??? I think they both have enough depth to be fit for purpose. Maybe cooking a spatchcock chicken or something like that is why the have the lid like that. At a extra $100 that may just not be enough to swing it. I will see if I can find better measurements for both

Edit I found some specs. The Chasseur looks to have a good internal height at 5.7cm/2.25"
the Le Creuset don't state but must be external at 12.7cm/5" height. The lid looks as high as it is deep internally.
http://www.lecreuset.com/cookware/french-ovens---braisers/braisers/3-1-2-qt-braiser
http://www.125west.com/p-3044-chasseur-rondeau-pan.aspx

$shallow cast3.bmp.png

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Le Creuset has a more domed lid. Which seems to give a better overall internal height. Quite frankly I don't think it matters. You like the large Chasseur(so far), so now it just come down to price comparison.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I just checked my large lodge skillet and it states about the same height. That should be enough to work with.
This will give me a pan that can handle the acidic sauces.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, what's next? Maybe a:

Potato and leek soup
brazed beef short rib stew
spaghetti sauce
skirt steak pinwheel
I have been thinking of a spaghetti sauce for a lasagna next up. I have not done that in a while. Back at work after a few weeks off so will have have to leave that till the week end.

There will be some soup made in the not to distant future as the little woman is off to the dentist. Potato & Leek sounds good, There is a pumpkin at home that I was told to leave along as she already has plans for it................yeah right.
I was thinking yesterday off trying some cold soups in Summer.

Was going to look at getting a carton of Short Ribs just before next Winter, that's a long way off for us here as we are heading into Summer in a few Months..........hmmm now some Rib Eye Roll is a must..........not for the pot though no no no.

skirt steak pinwheel....tell me more, I have not heard of that before.

I tried to save you some of the Vindaloo but as I was about to throw it in the freezer SWMBO stopped me. She had tried some and wanted more..........so much for her not liking vindaloo. Guess I have converted her.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Mate you struck the mother load. Stubbs?

Now it's going to be hard to follow that.
I picked up some meat today. Prime Steer Shortribs are the order of the day. Hope to make something this weekend with this. That is if I don't polish off one of the key ingredients before the Shortribs thaws out.........to be continued.

edit: I think that I should have brought the Guinness tomorrow......................hiccup

$Short ribs & Guinness.jpg

Last edited:
It is Staub, yes. My fiancé is a bit of an overachiever. He feels if one is good then 10 pieces must be better.

I love using the cocettes for baking no-knead bread. Yum.

I don't cook in them enough. I just lack the time and have a picky man to feed. :-(

Top Bottom