What's new

Enameled cast iron Casserole

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
DO NOT be afraid of the price of good cookware

The wife and I purchased a set of 12 robins egg blue La Creuset enameled cast iron pots and roasting pans USED when we were in college in the early 1970's

We still have them and use them today....

When we die someone will get them USED once more and they will start another half century of providing exceptional food.

I bought a set of professional tin lined Mauviel pots.... if you want to talk about expensive. they were a LOT 45 year ago and now they cost what a decent used car would run you :yesnod:
Good to hear the La Creuset is still in good condition after so many years, I have only read good about this brand.
I have seen one of your Mauviel pots in a post here and they look very very nice. I have a copper bottom pot but nothing like that. I found some here in NZ and yes the price is high, it may be a bit too rich for my blood. http://millyskitchen.co.nz/brands/m-to-o/mauviel-copper.html

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ooh, you got a large oval....beautiful. Ok, my Carne Guisada is posted in the shavwiki recipe area on B&B. Here is the link:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Carne_Guisada_-_Heaven_On_a_Tortilla_Recipe

Again thanks for the Carne Guisada recipe. It just went in the oven. I have followed your recipe with only one exception, I dry roasted my cumin seeds in a pan then ground down. Love the smell of freshly roasted & grounded cumin.

$20140906_134042.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Actually I buy my cummin seeds whole, toast then grind. It adds another layer of flavor. There are two schools of thought with the old Mexican women. Some toast and grind others will not. It all depends on your taste buds. Good job.

I can smell it now. My mouth is watering. I know it will be good because you are a great cook(Chef) Chris. In the morning put a dollop in your scrambled eggs.

I'm hungry jealous.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Actually I buy my cummin seeds whole, toast then grind. It adds another layer of flavor. There are two schools of thought with the old Mexican women. Some toast and grind others will not. It all depends on your taste buds. Good job.
I have only had whole seeds in a Asian meal before, it was ok until I eat a cardamom pod, oh that was just wrong.

Using this big pot for a meal like this works but the size and shape is wasted. Still a good buy in my eyes but will keep looking for a mid/large round & a shallow oval to complete the kitchen.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The traditional way to eat this is over rice. Some Mexicans put it over roasted potatoes. I prefer putting it in a toasted flour tortilla. It can be a little messing...so what... it's Carne Guisada. A nice hot salsa or hot sauce is proper on the top. Cilantro and a squeeze of lime brightens it up nicely.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have only had whole seeds in a Asian meal before, it was ok until I eat a cardamom pod, oh that was just wrong.

Using this big pot for a meal like this works but the size and shape is wasted. Still a good buy in my eyes but will keep looking for a mid/large round & a shallow oval to complete the kitchen.

I see what you mean on the size. I guess you'll just have to double the recipe:)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I see what you mean on the size. I guess you'll just have to double the recipe:)
great minds think alike LOL.
I am thinking of cooking a leg of lamb in it tomorrow. Brown the leg set aside, then brown the onions, return leg on top the bed of onions add of thyme and some red wine. Cook low and slow for the win.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
well the first meal in big orange is complete. I have learnt a few things about the pot.
It is so wide when browning the meat the outside of the pot past the element are cool zones. Not a problem just good to know.
The lid does not sit tight so the sauce will reduce. This may mean I need to start with more liquid or give it a top up part though.
Next up is a lamb pot roast.

Now the result of the Chili. With the lose fitting lid and me not checking it, as I was pre occupied seasoning my new wok, the sauce had reduced just a bit more than what I wanted. The meat was tender and falling apart. The flavour was well balanced.
The Mrs gave it a thumbs up and madam muck called for a few more when I went back to the pot. Sorry Aaron but she done a no no and had sour cream in her ones.
This will be cooked again for sure.

$20140906_181533.jpg

As a side note cooking this way leaves you free to do other stuff....just don't forget to check it at some point.
Here is what I was doing while it was cooking. This my new wok pre and during seasoning. I scorched the helper handle just a bit and had to reset the rivets as they went lose with the heat direct on them. It looks nice and black now.

$20140906_145142.jpg

$20140906_165507.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks real good Chris. I'm honored you picked my recipe to christen your new pot. Too many more in the future...cheers mate.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 113
As a side note cooking this way leaves you free to do other stuff....just don't forget to check it at some point.
Here is what I was doing while it was cooking. This my new wok pre and during seasoning. I scorched the helper handle just a bit and had to reset the rivets as they went lose with the heat direct on them. It looks nice and black now.

View attachment 492530

After about half a century of cooking in it it will look like mine does :001_smile

enjoy your wok. I used mine last night to make shrimp, snow peas, & mushrooms with a ginger/mango/fish-sauce - - - - Killa dinner

proxy.php

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
After about half a century of cooking in it it will look like mine does :001_smile

enjoy your wok. I used mine last night to make shrimp, snow peas, & mushrooms with a ginger/mango/fish-sauce - - - - Killa dinner

proxy.php

That looks a well used wok Mick.

I looked at this a while back and, if I recall correctly, here's what I found -

Le Creuset - expensive, less likely to chip, lasts a long time and works very well. Staub may be in this category as well, but I don't recall.

Just about everything else is in a lower price tier.

I went with Lodge enameled cast iron - I use my 2 3-quart pans (1 shallow, 1 a standard round Dutch Oven) for most of my cooking. I've been quite pleased. I try to be careful when putting the lids on to avoid chipping. The only problem I've had is that the outside handle on one of the pots has chipped (I forget what I hit it with), exposing the cast iron. By the way, the black rim all around the lip of the pot is not exposed cast iron, it just looks like that.

I do have a Le Creuset 6 quart one, which I rarely use being single. Eventually I hope to have more need of using it. Nice pot. I bought mine at a discount store called TJMaxx.

I really like mine. Good luck!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I looked at this a while back and, if I recall correctly, here's what I found -

Le Creuset - expensive, less likely to chip, lasts a long time and works very well. Staub may be in this category as well, but I don't recall.

Just about everything else is in a lower price tier.

I went with Lodge enameled cast iron - I use my 2 3-quart pans (1 shallow, 1 a standard round Dutch Oven) for most of my cooking. I've been quite pleased. I try to be careful when putting the lids on to avoid chipping. The only problem I've had is that the outside handle on one of the pots has chipped (I forget what I hit it with), exposing the cast iron. By the way, the black rim all around the lip of the pot is not exposed cast iron, it just looks like that.

I do have a Le Creuset 6 quart one, which I rarely use being single. Eventually I hope to have more need of using it. Nice pot. I bought mine at a discount store called TJMaxx.

I really like mine. Good luck!
Le Creuset & Staub seam to be the top of the market.
Just run through some options with the Mrs and we have settle on size, so will sit and wait for a deal on a Le Creset 26cm/10 inch standard round & 30cm/11.8 inches shallow also round. That is down on the size she first wanted, this big oval has now taken that spot. It is too big for every day use.

It is in the oven now with a Leg of Lamb. I cut the chump off and are cooking that in the pan.
The leg just fits. Seasoned leg and browned, removed and sautéed onions and carrots, returned leg on top, added some chicken stock and thyme.

$20140907_151118.jpg

This is the chump I cut off the leg so it would fit. Browned and then put the lid on to cook through.

$20140907_151445.jpg$20140907_152616.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for this. Le Crueset is very good, but as noted very pricey. Try one of the others and if you like it, buy more.

What's the brand name?

I agree, Maybe buy one pot then give it a good workout for a month. If it meets the requirements of SWMBO, then go back and get the oval and/or a smaller one.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK Chris, I'm getting hungry what's next for the pot?
I think a green Lamb chili is the order of the day. I have a few Lamb Oyster Cut shoulders that I could bone the blade out then dice. I will save the shanks for Ron....
or I could use a Lamb Leg, boned & diced.

+1 for this. Le Crueset is very good, but as noted very pricey. Try one of the others and if you like it, buy more.
I have used the Stevens branded pot a few times and all though it is nice I think that a Le Crueset is calling my name.
There are some at a shop that I was going to check out this weekend. I saw them there last time but did not inspect. i.e. lift the lid, check for tightness of fitting compared to the cheap one I just got, feel the weight & inspect the enamal etc.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Ummm...I hope I didn't influence you on the lamb stew from a prior post? No matter, sounds like a winner to me. :thumbup1:
Influence no.... well maybe a little, I have a rubber arm when it come to a Chili. I made one about a month or so ago and I know it is going to so much better is the new pot.
Other than that, it had been a few years since I cooked one. Plus I have a bit of Lamb in the freezer to use, need to mix it up on ways of cooking it.

EDIT: I come here to be influenced and also share what I am doing in return. I say bring it on, lets get cooking.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
OK this is not the Green Lamb Chili I was considering, as I felt like deviled sausages today.
I had to make a big brew to fit this beast of a pot. 1/2 or a 1/3 of this would be a good amount.

16 Sausages, 4 Onions sliced, 4 apples sliced, garlic chopped, 1.5 cups of water, 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon soya sauce (I used Kecap Manis), 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 3 tablespoons mustard, 6 tablespoons tomato paste, cayenne chili to taste (I used about 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper & a heaped teaspoon of hot Pimenton ). I may have made it just a bit spicy for the Mrs...... woops.
Brown sausages, then sauté onions & garlic. Add everything else to the pot and bring to the boil. lid on and into the oven.
bon appetit

$20140913_184447.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris, nice work. Looks really good. That new pot is getting a good a workout. I plan on using mine this weekend. I am thinking about turkey chili with cast iron cornbread.

Top Bottom