What's new

Unknown blade.

Anybody ever seen the blades on the left? I picked them both up with a mug and an Tech at a garage sale.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Japan on the bottom corner there..interesting. I haven't heard of Admiral Razor Blade Co, though.

I like that they offer the same advice I do on blade maintenance....keep it in the razor and rinse! :001_smile

I would guess 1964-76, maybe a bit later but not much.

I looked at google books, which found very few references. There was one in Industrial Design dated 1962, but I think that date is probably wrong. Sometimes google books dates periodicals by the first issue date, so later issues are misdated. In this case the same page seems to reference 1964, so that seems more likely. The trademark should be more reliable: that was filed in 1964 with first use declared 1964-03-09. The trademark places the company in Los Angeles, and the (probably) mis-dated mention in Industrial Design confirms that. The last mention was dated 1976. The trademark expired in 1985, but I expect they gave up on DE blades before then.

I found this wrapper online. Probably won't help with the search for info, but it's cool...

View attachment 492168

Nice find, and from the packaging it is probably earlier than the 1960s: no mention of stainless steel.

But I think these two blade brands are unrelated. The wrapper on this one says "Admiral Products Co." rather than "Admiral Razor Blade Co." and the companies do not seem to be related. "Admiral Razor Blade Co." seems to have popped up in Los Angeles in 1964. "Admiral Products Co." dates back much farther, ca. 1930s, originally in Brooklyn NY and today in Ohio. That company seems to have been known for "Admiral Speed Polish" more than for razor blades, but perhaps these were a business experiment or an advertising scheme.

Top Bottom