What's new

Howdy! 1st DE razors and wet shaves

Unfortunately, the USPS is dragging. It was supposed to be here yesterday. The darn thing got into Tucson at about 4AM on Thursday, then showed it left Tucson at about 5AM Thursday. Then it said it left Tucson at about 5PM on Thursday and finally showed up in Provo at about 6PM tonight. I'm thinking it should finally arrive on Monday :001_cool:
Lol!!! I find the tracking torturous, almost makes me long for the old days when all they said was 4-6 weeks for delivery and you had to walk to the mailbox to check!

Welcome... Good job getting a reasonable shave from what definitely sounds like less than perfect equipment. I hope that your tech does indeed show up on Monday and that it is all you hoped it would be.

Unfortunately, the USPS is dragging. It was supposed to be here yesterday. The darn thing got into Tucson at about 4AM on Thursday, then showed it left Tucson at about 5AM Thursday. Then it said it left Tucson at about 5PM on Thursday and finally showed up in Provo at about 6PM tonight. I'm thinking it should finally arrive on Monday :001_cool:

Tech?

Good news, everyone! The Tech showed up on Monday at about 5PM :001_cool:

The bad part of that is that I've come down with some sort of cold and I was just wiped out, so I cleaned it up, did the bleach and alcohol things, and set it off to the side to wait for Tuesday morning. I have some pics for you all. Just so you know, it's sitting on the plastic case the Nanjie came in.

$IMG_5359CE-640x473.jpg

$IMG_5360CE-640x458.jpg

$IMG_5361CE-640x472.jpg

$IMG_5365CE-640x400.jpg

$IMG_5363RCE-640x442.jpg

All of these pics were taken before I cleaned it up. It was really in nice shape :001_smile

So, after taking my daughter to daycare this morning (it's still Tuesday here), I took a shower to get my beard nice and wet before shaving with the Tech for the first time. I used basic canned Barbasol foam with aloe, a Dollar General branded Personna blade, and some warm water. I might have been a bit overcautious and I took quite a bit of time, but it paid off. After three passes with and across the grain, it wasn't BBS all over, but it was pretty close over the vast majority of my face. I also had no nicks, no cuts, no weepers, and no razor burn!

I finished off with a cold water wash, some witch hazel, and then some Afta balm.

I think I'm gonna like it :thumbup:

Lol!!! I find the tracking torturous, almost makes me long for the old days when all they said was 4-6 weeks for delivery and you had to walk to the mailbox to check!
That would be preferable!!!

Welcome... Good job getting a reasonable shave from what definitely sounds like less than perfect equipment. I hope that your tech does indeed show up on Monday and that it is all you hoped it would be.
Thanks! See my last post for further info on the Tech :001_smile

See my last post :001_cool:

Good news, everyone! The Tech showed up on Monday at about 5PM :001_cool:

The bad part of that is that I've come down with some sort of cold and I was just wiped out, so I cleaned it up, did the bleach and alcohol things, and set it off to the side to wait for Tuesday morning. I have some pics for you all. Just so you know, it's sitting on the plastic case the Nanjie came in.

View attachment 494189

View attachment 494190

View attachment 494191

View attachment 494192

View attachment 494193

All of these pics were taken before I cleaned it up. It was really in nice shape :001_smile

So, after taking my daughter to daycare this morning (it's still Tuesday here), I took a shower to get my beard nice and wet before shaving with the Tech for the first time. I used basic canned Barbasol foam with aloe, a Dollar General branded Personna blade, and some warm water. I might have been a bit overcautious and I took quite a bit of time, but it paid off. After three passes with and across the grain, it wasn't BBS all over, but it was pretty close over the vast majority of my face. I also had no nicks, no cuts, no weepers, and no razor burn!

I finished off with a cold water wash, some witch hazel, and then some Afta balm.

I think I'm gonna like it :thumbup:

I knew it was a Tech.......you should try a better blade for a even better shave result, dont forget a good silvertip brush upgrade too.

I knew it was a Tech.......you should try a better blade for a even better shave result, dont forget a good silvertip brush upgrade too.

Alex - Thanks. I've shaved a few times with the Personna blades and it's been OK. I've got a sampler and just tried a Derby which wasn't bad. I've also got some Astras, Sharks, and Feathers. I'm going to work my way up to Feather blades :001_cool:

I'm still using canned Barbasol foam with witch hazel and Afta afterwards, but I'm saving up for a shaving brush. I'll probably get a boar brush, but we'll see how things go. At least Van Der Hagen shave soap is available affordably at Walmart :001_smile

Alex - Thanks. I've shaved a few times with the Personna blades and it's been OK. I've got a sampler and just tried a Derby which wasn't bad. I've also got some Astras, Sharks, and Feathers. I'm going to work my way up to Feather blades :001_cool:

I'm still using canned Barbasol foam with witch hazel and Afta afterwards, but I'm saving up for a shaving brush. I'll probably get a boar brush, but we'll see how things go. At least Van Der Hagen shave soap is available affordably at Walmart :001_smile
Great, it is worth the time to save up for better gear. The better the gear, the better the shave results.

Welcome, glad you joined us... :thumbup1:
Sounds like you are coming along nicely. take your time, and enjoy!
That Fat-Handled Tech is a great razor to learn on, I did!
Hint: I'd try the Asta SP's next....

Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone! I actually have an update :001_smile

$IMG_5449CE-640x503.jpg

Quite a few people both here and elsewhere on the web have told me to get with the program and get some shave soap and a brush. I went to Walmart and ended up getting both there.

$IMG_5433CE-640x817.jpg

The soap is the Van Der Hagen stuff from the green box above and was under $5. The bowl/cup was $1 at the Dollar Tree. The brush was $0.77 at Walmart and is a natural bristle chipping brush. No, I don't expect the brush to work as well as a purpose made shave brush, but it seems to work OK for now.

$IMG_5427CE-640x751.jpg

This was my first test lather with the above equipment. I've since gotten a bit better and I was able to order a Van Der Hagen deluxe boar brush for under $10 on eBay today. That brush should be here by Saturday, so I don't have too much longer left with the paint brush :001_cool:

I've tried the Personna, Derby, Astra, and Shark blades so far and they're all decent. I think I like the Shark blades best. I still have to try out the Feather blades.

Regardless of which blade I've used, I'm getting pretty darn good shaves with minimal nicks and I'm learning how to get the least irritation. Yes, I'm still learning, but I think I'm coming along nicely :thumbup:

Thanks again for the kind words and advice and I wish you all a wonderful day :001_smile

Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone! I actually have an update :001_smile

View attachment 499258

Quite a few people both here and elsewhere on the web have told me to get with the program and get some shave soap and a brush. I went to Walmart and ended up getting both there.

View attachment 499259

The soap is the Van Der Hagen stuff from the green box above and was under $5. The bowl/cup was $1 at the Dollar Tree. The brush was $0.77 at Walmart and is a natural bristle chipping brush. No, I don't expect the brush to work as well as a purpose made shave brush, but it seems to work OK for now.

View attachment 499260

This was my first test lather with the above equipment. I've since gotten a bit better and I was able to order a Van Der Hagen deluxe boar brush for under $10 on eBay today. That brush should be here by Saturday, so I don't have too much longer left with the paint brush :001_cool:

I've tried the Personna, Derby, Astra, and Shark blades so far and they're all decent. I think I like the Shark blades best. I still have to try out the Feather blades.

Regardless of which blade I've used, I'm getting pretty darn good shaves with minimal nicks and I'm learning how to get the least irritation. Yes, I'm still learning, but I think I'm coming along nicely :thumbup:

Thanks again for the kind words and advice and I wish you all a wonderful day :001_smile

I think that when you get the brush on Saturday the lather will be better.

I think that when you get the brush on Saturday the lather will be better.
Alex - It's already quite a bit better, but I'm looking forward to much more than that :001_smile

Also, I've gotten through my first Shark blade and I liked it a lot! I'm shaving every other day now because I don't really need to shave every day with these DE blades - they're that good :thumbup: Day after tomorrow I'm going to try my first Feather blade :001_cool:

Alex - It's already quite a bit better, but I'm looking forward to much more than that :001_smile

Also, I've gotten through my first Shark blade and I liked it a lot! I'm shaving every other day now because I don't really need to shave every day with these DE blades - they're that good :thumbup: Day after tomorrow I'm going to try my first Feather blade :001_cool:

Keep us updated on the feathers too
:thumbsup:

Hey! So, I tried a Feather, but wasn't really impressed. The best way I can describe it is harsh. I'm going to give it a few more shaves, but I think I like the Shark best :001_smile

OK - Second shave with the Feather. It reminded me of this video from Douglas Smythe of howtogrowamoustache.com.

I actually tried the bit with an old piece of denim and I don't know if it was because of that or because it was the second shave with this blade, but WOW :w00t: It was just an awesome shave :thumbup:

I'll let everyone know how it goes from here, too :001_cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Practice makes perfect. That's why we practice. I shave every day, even weekends. Not just to practice but because I enjoy it now!

Sweet Tech! I really love the pre-war model!!!

Thanks, guys :001_cool:

I've only ever been able to get two shaves out of any blade up until now. Personna, Astra, Shark, etc. Tonight I got shave #3 out of my first Feather! I don't know if it's just a tough beard, sensitive skin, etc. I'm still going to try a few things, but I think I may just be stuck on Feather blades from now on :001_smile

Top Bottom