What's new

New to the Brown Leaf. Decided to try a pipe!

Hello gentlemen,
I am a very casual cigar smoker. I maybe smoke a couple cigars a month and a few more during the summer months. Nothing like a good stogie out on the deck after a good BBQ, or camping sitting around a campfire. Decent cigars can get expensive up here in the great white north, and found I could get some pretty nice pipe tobacco that would give me 2 or 3 times as many smokes for the same amount of coin!
I have put off trying a pipe for quite a while as it always seemed to have a stigma about it - grandpa in the rocking chair is what comes to mind, but I have been lurking around this section of B&B for quite a while now, and the many pipe smokers on this forum have convinced me (without trying...) to give it a go!
Bought a cheap MM Cob pipe for my first one, and a nice aromatic mild blend from a local tobacconist.
The tobacco smelled really nice, and still gave off a great sent while burning, but the smoke itself did not taste as I expected. I expected it to be a bit sweeter. Still a very nice smoke - right down to the end.
I was a bit worried about packing it, but I checked a few videos online and think I did a pretty good job! Only went through a couple of matches! Stayed lit fairly well!
Cracked a nice beer to go with it!
All in all, very relaxing and enjoyable!
Thought I would share!
Cheers,
$pipe copy.jpg

Welcome to pipes. I also like cigars as well as pipes. What I like about pipes is the variety. Aromatics, burleys, Virginias, English and the different blends of each. I myself am partial to burleys. I have three types im smoking out of as of now. I have no idea how many aromatics there are, hundreds? Its quite a journey, enjoy.

Thanks for sharing the beginning of your financial demis.....pipe smoking journey:thumbup:. Cobs are an excellent way to start. Great smokers at an appealing price point.

Concerning Aromatics, in my experience there are very few that taste the way they smell. But that's part of the fun of pipe smoking. Filling a pipe can be tough but it sounds like you did a good job. Hope to hear more updates!

Like you NRAM I've been lurking n the brown leaf for a while. The wife recently gave me a soft green light to try a pipe, as an alternative to cigars. Where did you get your pipe from and the tobacco?

I too was an avid cigar smoker (two a day) for years. I have found that the flavor and complexity of a pipe is better. Plus, for the price of a premium cigar you can get a full tin of premium pipe tobacco. Not only is the flavor profile variety as wide, the price point per bowl full is more appealing.

But, then there comes into the fact the cost of the pipes themselves! That's where the trouble/fun begins!:lol:

Congratulations. That's a fine pipe. Absolutely nothing wrong with MM cobs. That is funny about pipe tobacco. It burns nothing like it smells in a jar. Smoking a pipe is less about the fix and more about relaxing. Grandpa knew what he was doing! Do you have a pipe tool? A large nail will work fine. They are fiddley contraptions and matches are free at most stores. Try Frog Morton!.

Congratulations. That's a fine pipe. Absolutely nothing wrong with MM cobs. That is funny about pipe tobacco. It burns nothing like it smells in a jar. Smoking a pipe is less about the fix and more about relaxing. Grandpa knew what he was doing! Do you have a pipe tool? A large nail will work fine. They are fiddley contraptions and matches are free at most stores. Try Frog Morton!.

+1 -- if you're looking for something closer to a cigar type of flavor, I found Frog Morton Cellar to fit the bill.

Welcome to the club! Cobs are a great starter pipe and if you get hooked, they are no slouch as a daily driver!

Like you NRAM I've been lurking n the brown leaf for a while. The wife recently gave me a soft green light to try a pipe, as an alternative to cigars. Where did you get your pipe from and the tobacco?
I visited City Cigar Emporium on 6th in Vancouver. If you have not visited this place before, I would highly recommend them. They suggested if I wanted something aromatic to start with, to try their own Broadway Breeze blend. Smells awesome! Taste is cool and light...

Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Cigar smoking is definitely relaxing and enjoyable, but what is always surprising me (as it did with wet shaving) is the fun factor with pipes. Learning something new and the smorgasbord of options....

Welcome to the enablers! I started back with the pipe again only this past spring. Had a MM to start, and now have about 9 pipes. During the summer, it's been the cigars. And to think I was a reformed cig smoker two years ago. This is a great place with many knowledgable and friendly Brothers of The Leaf.

Welcome to the enablers! I started back with the pipe again only this past spring. Had a MM to start, and now have about 9 pipes. During the summer, it's been the cigars. And to think I was a reformed cig smoker two years ago. This is a great place with many knowledgable and friendly Brothers of The Leaf.

Thanks!
Never smoked a cigarette in my life, but tried cigars back in the 80's while on a camping/fishing trip with the boys because I have always liked the scent of cigars and a little peer pressure didnt hurt... cigarettes never interested me.
I have a little fear that my cob pipe will lead to a collection of pipes as well (9...? yikes) because from what I have seen they can range in price up to the high hundreds or thousands for some really nice ones. Not sure I can convince myself (let alone the SWMBO) if those would be dollars worth spending... I alreadythink that I will likely upgrade from the cob pipe soon down the road, but don't think I can get up the nerve to spend over $60 or $70 on a new pipe... We shall see...

I alreadythink that I will likely upgrade from the cob pipe soon down the road, but don't think I can get up the nerve to spend over $60 or $70 on a new pipe... We shall see...
Perhaps a nice Peterson on eBay to get started. :w00t:

Thanks!
Never smoked a cigarette in my life, but tried cigars back in the 80's while on a camping/fishing trip with the boys because I have always liked the scent of cigars and a little peer pressure didnt hurt... cigarettes never interested me.
I have a little fear that my cob pipe will lead to a collection of pipes as well (9...? yikes) because from what I have seen they can range in price up to the high hundreds or thousands for some really nice ones. Not sure I can convince myself (let alone the SWMBO) if those would be dollars worth spending... I alreadythink that I will likely upgrade from the cob pipe soon down the road, but don't think I can get up the nerve to spend over $60 or $70 on a new pipe... We shall see...

9 pipes sounds like a lot? :001_smile

$palpatine.jpg

Welcome aboard Brother of the Leaf! Enjoy the ride!! So many experiences to be had as far as the so many different pipes & tobaccos! Take it all in and most of all enjoy it!

Last edited:
Thanks!

You'll definitely be able to find a great pipe in that pricerange. With some luck and patience, you might even score 2 very nice estate pipes on that budget.

Top Bottom