What's new

Indoor Steaks

So I live in an apartment and enjoy the occasional steak. I love the way they cook up with a cast iron pan finished in the oven, but the problem is the smoking of the pan. I've tried every combination of lower heat, higher smoke-point oils, more/less oil, but there never seems to be any difference. Since the apartments I have lived in have oven fans but no vents, my home inevitably fills with smoke and I set off the alarms. No, I'm in favor of outdoor grilling, but it isn't an option for me.
Any other ideas or ways to cook up a good steak, preferably (though not necessarily) with a nice crust without having the fire department rush to my home?

Thanks guys! My first non-shaving post!

This might sound like heresy, but what about a George Foreman type cooker to get it close to done on the inside, then blast it with the broiler in the oven, to get a crust.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
What are your apt. complex rules on outdoor cooking..since you said that wasn't an option? When I lived in one there was a concrete walkway outside the front door. I'd put a little hibachi just out the front door and grill steaks on that. I'd stay out there with it all the time it was burning though.

I'd burn some mesquite that I brought back from my aunt's in Uvalde down to coals, then cook some steaks. Never had a complaint; people would smell it and come out and ask "What ya cookin'? Can I come over?" :001_smile

I thought about mentioning an indoor kitchen wood chip smoker thing, but if you're setting off the smoke alarm with the cast iron that wouldn't work either.

Open all the windows?

You using too much oil in the skillet? Oh, you said you already tried that. No stove vent huh? That sucks.

Looks like broiler only is all I can think of. Maybe someone with a better idea than I have can chime in.

Ya try a little bit of rub on it and then just broil it?

Open all the doors and windows. Put a fan in as many windows as you can to blow the smoke out. Cook extra for the firemen who show up. :lol: Smoke is an inherent problem when cooking steak in the house. To do it proper you have to go high heat. You either accept it or maybe there is a grill somewhere on the Apt. grounds you can use. Every apartment I lived in had a charcoal or gas grill the tenants could use. God help you if you walked away from it while it was on.

You may want to try the reverse sear where you start it in a low oven, 200 or so until you get up to the ( depending on where you want to end up) 115 internal then drop it in a dry cast iron pan that is hot as possible. You will still get smoke but it may be enough less that it makes it workable.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You may want to try the reverse sear where you start it in a low oven, 200 or so until you get up to the ( depending on where you want to end up) 115 internal then drop it in a dry cast iron pan that is hot as possible. You will still get smoke but it may be enough less that it makes it workable.

Good idea, Jim. I've never done a reverse sear but have been meaning to try it.

Another idea...take the batteries out of the smoke alarm when you are cooking.

Just don't forget to put the batteries back in when you're done.

I used to have that problem in an apartment I lived in when the girlfriend cooked...that solved the problem and I just opened the windows. :laugh:

My Dad (trained chef) usually uses the broiler function in our kitchen when he has to cook indoors in the winter. Might be worth looking at.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I will have to try the broiler in the future. For whatever reason, I don't like to use the public grills at my apt; I feel like I'm sharing food with my neighbors unwillingly.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I will have to try the broiler in the future. For whatever reason, I don't like to use the public grills at my apt; I feel like I'm sharing food with my neighbors unwillingly.

I see what you mean about the public grill. Maybe you could still use the apartment grill but just place your own grate on top of the public gunk grill.

This!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a problem with using the two huge wonderful gas grills in my new apartment house courtyard; what could be wrong enough that a little blast of heat can't cure?

In my last apartment, I tried to grill on a hibachi on the driveway out back; the landlord came and confiscated the grill. Grrr.

Here, the only odd thing is carrying my cooked steak back up to the third floor in the elevator.

Inside, I know I can't cook a steak right, so I don't try.

If you like your meat rare, it's easy. If you like it MW, it's probably impossible. Let your steaks come up to room temp before cooking. This will give you a head start on the cooking process. I like mine rare, but warm in the middle and a minute or 2 on each side will do it every time. You have to accept some smoke, but opening windows/doors/etc. will help move it outside. I get the pan good and hot, sear, flip, back off the heat and flip once more. It allows a symmetrical sear and a properly cooked steak.

Top Bottom