What's new

Calling all Louisiana members

Welcome Tim! What part of Baton Rouge? The only thing I care for in BR is the Red Stick Spice Company on Jefferson! I hear there's a good strip of antique stores though. I'll have to check them out one day.

I might be jumping the gun on this one. I am currently in Kentucky but am in the process of relocating down to the Baton Rouge area in the next month or 2 or 3. Do I need to start the transfer paper work now or wait till I get down their?

I might be jumping the gun on this one. I am currently in Kentucky but am in the process of relocating down to the Baton Rouge area in the next month or 2 or 3. Do I need to start the transfer paper work now or wait till I get down their?

That's the best thing about Louisiana, we welcome anyone and everyone who wants to be there. Just make sure you buy a Saints jersey and at the least an LSU cap. :)

Happened to just find this thread. I live in Denham Springs and work in Baton Rouge. Glad to be part of the Boot Brotherhood. Okay that was pretty corny. Please don't judge me too harshly. :001_smile

Don

Posted a quick intro and advice request in the newbie section and was directed here. From Lafayette originally, now living in Denham Springs and working in BR. Still call Lafayette home and I'm a vermillion bleeding Ragin' Cajun (Proud Coonass too!).

Looking to get started with the DE. Would like to purchase a razor in a store so I can get a feel for it rather than online, at least for my first one. From what I can tell, I've got a choice to grab my ankles at Art of Shaving or try out "Forum Salon" who I have heard sells DEs also.

I wonder what my wife will be thiking when suddenly I have an interest in following her to the antique stores now? :)

I would definitely recommend the antique store route. There is apparently an area in Baton Rouge with quite a few. If that doesn't work, head to NOLA on a Saturday. You can get fixed up real good at Cypress Bayou Antiques on Jefferson Hwy in Jefferson. They ALWAYS have a cup or 2 full of razors. All that aside, if you're going to buy new, do it online. AOS is going to be way overpriced.

So, if I find something in an antique store, what do I need to do to it besides a clean/sterilization? What about if I run across some really old stuff...What should I be on the lookout for? Brands/Makers? Models?

Another Cajun in Lafayette checking in.
Swampworks, if you are really impatient, you can get the Micro Touch One from Walgreens or Van der Hagen from Target (both re-branded Weishi). I was impatient and grabbed a Micro Touch. I can't complain about it but I wish I would have been more patient. My recommendation would be to hold out and order the Merkur 34C you mentioned in the other post. After purchasing 6 different razors, it's one of the best of the bunch for me. I'm pretty much using the Merkur all the time now. The Micro Touch hasn't been "touched" in a while. RAD can get out of hand easily.

Last edited:
Made a pretty thorough walk thru of the Denham Springs antique stores over the weekend and found very little. Not one DE but about 5-6 single edge shavers. Most of the tags were around $35. Didn't pick up anything....But my razor I ordered should be in this evening.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Mardi Gras! I was one of the knuckleheads in line at Manny Randazzo's on N. Hullen at 7:00 this morning.

I am so glad mardi gras is over even though I am working may way through my annual post mardi gras illness. The long hours, large crowds and the undeciseve weather gets me every year but I will be damned if I am going to call in sick and lose all of that overtime money. I will admit that my tub of arko and my wade and butcher made it a little easier to deal with on a daily basis.

I passed through the Denham Springs antique stores a couple weeks ago and found very little in DE shaving supplies. I am thinking about going to Ponchatoula next. Tim

Made a pretty thorough walk thru of the Denham Springs antique stores over the weekend and found very little. Not one DE but about 5-6 single edge shavers. Most of the tags were around $35. Didn't pick up anything....But my razor I ordered should be in this evening.

Yeah, I did the same thing a few weeks back. I found a couple of DEs that were in very poor shape for about $30-$40 dollars. Plenty of Gems that also were in poor shape for not much less. I am pretty sure the "Antique" stores on Range Rd are pretty much going to be way over priced. There are a couple of stores on Florida in Denham that I want to check out but I am not enthusiastic. Would realy like to find some places that are local but I might be relegated to the popular auction site.

Don

I'm coming home to NOLA for my sister-in-laws wedding and I wanted to get my future brother a good shave and possibly a haircut. I know that Aidan Gill offers these but at $40 a pop for 2 people that's a chunk of change. Anyone know of any other reputable places with lower price tags for at least a good shave? Thanks fellas!

I think that is about the going rate. Here in Baton Rouge there is a place, not AOS, and an hour long shave goes for about $40.00

I'm coming home to NOLA for my sister-in-laws wedding and I wanted to get my future brother a good shave and possibly a haircut. I know that Aidan Gill offers these but at $40 a pop for 2 people that's a chunk of change. Anyone know of any other reputable places with lower price tags for at least a good shave? Thanks fellas!

Aidan Gill is the only place in the city I know of that does shaves. I've been told they don't use a straight though. They do the whole brush/warm lather thing, but they use a Mach 3 or Fusion. There is a place in Destrehan called Glide Barbershop, run by a guy named Rickey (I can get you the number if you like). One of the guys in the shop does really great shaves (I've been told), but I'm not sure if he uses a shavette or cart. I'm also not sure of the price. I've seen him use a shavette to do lineups, so I know he's familiar with them. And the guys in the shop are known for being super meticulous in their work. Let me know if you want more information. It's right down the street from the German Coast Farmer's Market at the Ormond Plantation on River Road.

Top Bottom