What's new

Irritation with shaving every other day

Hey everyone

I've been de shaving a few days short of a month now.
I started the first two shaves every other day and it was a little rough.
Then I started shaving everyday, and that has been going super !
The last three times I've tried going back to every other day.
Irritation has been very bad. Head in the freezer bad.
Same cream and blade
In two days I have visible beard growth. Very coarse and fast growing.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong?
It seems if I shave every other day. I can't get a close shave.
I'm not looking for bbs.
If I push for a close shave the razor burn comes in.(head in freezer)

Is there some of you that have to shave everyday?

Thanks
Brian

Sounds like it might be your technique. You might be applying too much pressure on the every other days to get that growth removed in as few passes as necessary. Work on your technique and apply as little pressure as possible; let the razor do all the work. Also, don't shave your face if there is no soap/cream on it. After a pass, reapply lather. We all make this mistake of touching up without lather. Try not to do this.

Sounds like when you shave everyday, you have to apply very little pressure to remove your beard, do to it's light growth. Less pressure translates to little or no irritation. Keep at it and you will figure it out.

Hard to tell but if something works for you, stick with it. I shave every day and get close shaves. Now part of that is because I have some aggressive razors; the blade exposure is pretty great. I also change my blades after 3 shaves usually (but that works for me) So I'm always using a fresh blade.

Sounds like when you shave everyday, you have to apply very little pressure to remove your beard, do to its light growth. Less pressure translates to little or no irritation. Keep at it and you will figure it out.

This sounds like an excellent hypothesis.

If I push for a close shave the razor burn comes in.(head in freezer)

This particular sentence sticks out, to me. Let your face heal, and try going back to everyday shaving, or try skipping two days, and see if anything changes. It took me, and most of us, months to get to the point that we could shave comfortably.

Hi Brian. I started about the same time as you. Welcome to DE shaving! I agree with the suggestions above. I would shave every day since that works well for you. If you can't, do more but less aggressive passes to accomplish more beard reduction without irritation. Do 2 WTG or WTG-XTG-GTX. If you do a good job at beard reduction, you'll be at the point where you would be if you shaved every day. Then you can get a CCS or even a DFS.

Sounds like it might be your technique. You might be applying too much pressure on the every other days to get that growth removed in as few passes as necessary. Work on your technique and apply as little pressure as possible; let the razor do all the work. Also, don't shave your face if there is no soap/cream on it. After a pass, reapply lather. We all make this mistake of touching up without lather. Try not to do this.

Sounds like when you shave everyday, you have to apply very little pressure to remove your beard, do to it's light growth. Less pressure translates to little or no irritation. Keep at it and you will figure it out.

+1 This is probably what is happening. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the all the great suggestions. I will be giving them a try.
I thinks whats frustrating is learning to shave again.
I love de shaving and I will work through this.
I've watched Mantics videos and others on youtube and it looks so easy.
Swipe swipe done perfect shave.
It amazes me how much there is to learn again.
Thanks for all the help

Thanks for all the help

I still look at these videos and think to myself... Man I feel like I should be on the special olympics shaving team when compared to these guys. They really do make it look sooooo easy. They can do it while frying bacon and mowing the lawn and bench pressing 350lbs... ALL OF THAT AT THE SAME TIME! Well... maybe not that good but they make it look way easy.

Thank you good sir!

Thanks for all the help

You got great advice from all. ..I think that you may need more technique practice and all should fall in place. Also, your skin may need more time for adjustment too. This takes time.

Top Bottom