What's new

my razor caused my bluebeard

After DE shaving for years, I always had that 5o'clock shadow look. I grew a beard a few times and noticed my first 2 or 3 shaves after shaving the beard off, no grayish tint. Then after about a week or so it would appear.

My last vacation, grew another beard and when it was time to shave it, I used a Gillette 2 blade non pivotal razor. It's a different shave, maybe a tad faster but no bluebeard.

Its been 3 months without it and I do miss my DE open comb but just hate the way it turned my face blue/gray.

Any ideas on the reason of this?

Granted, I'm new here and equally so to the whole DE shaving world. But how can a razor turn (or not turn) someone's face blue/gray?

i remember a classmate that put a ointment on his face that caused grayish spot on his face maybe you are putting a cream on that is tinting your face?

To answer the questions

I use the same creams that I have used. Lately has been Kiehl's

I am not sure if my DE is plated with silver... The one I used the most was a new open comb HD 34c .. Mekur I believe was the maker

To answer the questions

I use the same creams that I have used. Lately has been Kiehl's

I am not sure if my DE is plated with silver... The one I used the most was a new open comb HD 34c .. Mekur I believe was the maker

Dare I ask: How old are you? I turned into a "blue hair" in my mid 50's. The blades were not a factor.

DE's cut the hair to the layer of skin.

Multi blade carts cut the hair below the surface of the skin.

Therefore, since the hairs are cut below the skin, you aren't getting the 5 O clock shadow look/bluebeard.

If your razor is plated with silver, there is a condition called Argyria.

This image is NOT Photoshopped:
proxy.php

I'm not a doctor, but it could be relevant if you have a silver plated razor. Then again, all of the examples I found of Argyria were from people drinking colloidal silver, and all cases were very permanent, so maybe the whole idea is crazy.

Therefore, since the hairs are cut below the skin, you aren't getting the 5 O clock shadow look/bluebeard.

In my case I don't believe this is the reason. I only shave WTG and one XTG. I get a closer shave with my open comb than my carts. I don't believe I am cutting below the skin line.

In the midst of this enigmatic thread, I find that this is the most plausible explanation as to how I interpret the initial post....

I'm a dark hair gent myself and get the "Bluebeard". As was posted earlier, DE shaves at skin level and not below the skin as carts do. This is great in preventing ingrown hairs, not so good for the Bluebeards. Try a sharper razor and pay attention to ATG and XTG to help tone down your Bluebeard. I don't know how to eliminate it until you go grey or use a cart.

EDIT: I don't know if it's skin color or swelling due to skin damage, but when I have a tan on my face the Bluebeard can't be seen.

Last edited:
It sounds like shadow stubble, and if it is actually shadow stubble and it goes away when a cart is used and is present when a DE is used, then the aforementioned explanation of carts cutting below the skin, and DEs at the surface of the skin, is accurate.

It sounds like shadow stubble, and if it is actually shadow stubble and it goes away when a cart is used and is present when a DE is used, then the aforementioned explanation of carts cutting below the skin, and DEs at the surface of the skin, is accurate.

It does not explain a one pass wtg that still has stubble but no Bluebeard. Not trying to be argumentative here. I've had closer shaves with a DE and I don't believe my cart goes below the skin. It is a track II with a non pivotal head. Even after 3 passes still feel stubble.

I think there is something in the razor material. Oh well

Top Bottom