What's new

Puter monitor

Hey you crazy kids, I am thinking about getting a 19" monitor for my work puter (I have a 16" now). My wife always told me that bigger is better, so I'm upgrading..my monitor.

Here are the resolution options that my puter gives me on the control panel:
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200
1920 x 1080
1920 x 1200

What if the monitor I am considering has a resolution of 1440 x 900? Can I still use it, or do I have to find a monitor that fits one of the options that my puter has? Thanks in advance.

Steve

When I got my 19 inch monitor it came with an installation CD with a control panel type software on it and installed its own options for screen size. I would imagine this is the case for most monitors bought new.

If you're getting an LCD (flat panel) monitor it's really only going to run its "native resolution" cleanly. You can run resolutions that are lower than the native resolution if you'd like, but you'll get a fuzzy-looking display. Once you actually hook up your new monitor, its native resolution will appear in the list of available resolutions.

That said, most computers around today should be able to support any LCD's native resolution, as long as it isn't something insane like a 30" widescreen. A 19" widescreen would be no problem.

+1 to the suggestions that everyone has said. Usually, from my experience, if you are running Windows it will only show the "safe" resolutions for the monitor plugged in. This can be effected by having the monitor driver installed, or the detection that Windows will use. I believe Linux is getting better at this, but I always tweak those settings by hand as old habits die hard. That being side I don't think you should have any problems. Good luck!

Top Bottom