What's new

It Was Only a Matter of Time

Just had to show my new toys. Can you guess what's in my future? It's not a how to thread but I thought you'd get a kick none the less. If a mod want so close the thread that's fine. But a Score wasn't up for this month.
Anyway.
i got the KMG 2 x 72 belt sander with 8" wheel and flat platen. The 1 1/2 , 2,3,4,5,6 " wheels are coming. Grabbed a selection of 35 belts from Cubitrons, Trizacts, Blaze etc. and an Evenheat Ramp Pro 18" 2200 degree kiln, knife holding jigs, Dykem, more verniers, SS foil, quenching oils , etc.

I'm building mobile carts for them so I can start playing!
Now let's see what kind of trouble I can get into.

I will say nice equipment now go to Midwest knifemakers supplies and get a ceramic glass platen for the kmg, not any good for hollows but it will let the belts run cooler and keep a lot of wear off the backs, no special tools required just jb weld it to the metal platen. I have a bader and the kmg plus a smaller 42 viel which I set up as a sharpener for knives. a good 60 to 80 pound anvil would come In handy as well, straightening blades, etc. I only do flat grinds have never been a fan of hollow grind knives. I pull blades from 110 bucks and grind carbon flatground blades for them. I also like the kiln I use the atlas gas forge, not much on razor making but its turned out quite a few nice knives, Damascus as well as hc. enjoy these they are a lot of enjoyment.

As people have been hearing about my acquisitions that queue has grown quite long Doc!

Now from the designs I've drawn it's a matter of choosing a few. But first some prototypes are in order to be sure the heat treating is perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks kn4wd! I'm sure my initial learning curve will be steep and lots of tricks to learn along the way. But for the knives and couple of razors I've already built using less than optimal equipment I think I'll make it work.
BTW , for what it's worth I've already put a mirror finish on the platen. Might not be optimal but it's slick now.

Last edited:
you wont get the flatness of the glass though, been there and done that. for around 5 or 6 bucks u have perfection.

Wow. Very nice equipment. Given what you have produced s far, I can only wait to see the results from using these new tools.

Hopefully I'll improve over these I did and posted a while ago. Used a bench grinder at the time as I just wanted to see what it took to make a razor shaped object.
the Kami style has a tapered file worked spine, brass file worked liners under the Giraffe bone scales.
The other in satinwood also has a file worked spine and shaft. Just playing. But they are great shavers none the less. Used them last week. Just phone shots but you get the idea.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 225
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 221
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 219
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 219
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 218
I'm happy for you but - I really, REALLY think you should not be able to post pics on B&B anymore mycarver. I thought I could make a case that I was not going overboard by showing SWMO your den pics, but all it did was make her say, "See - that's where you're headed!"
I have to rearrange my garage for every new project that comes up but after seeing the pics of yours, I find myself browsing the real estate ads for a property with a nice big outbuilding...

Very cool acquisitions BTW.

My apologies for causing any familial discord! LOL!
but it seems no matter how big you build a shop,,, it's only a matter of time!

you need more space for the toys .

Hopefully I'll improve over these I did and posted a while ago. Used a bench grinder at the time as I just wanted to see what it took to make a razor shaped object.
the Kami style has a tapered file worked spine, brass file worked liners under the Giraffe bone scales.
The other in satinwood also has a file worked spine and shaft. Just playing. But they are great shavers none the less. Used them last week. Just phone shots but you get the idea.

Thanks for posting! That second one does it for me! That spine work is just so very nice to look at...
Looking forward to see what you make when you stop "playing" and get down to business!

It's just like Christmas, Baby! Fun new toys. I especially like the peek into the inner sanctum! Nice shop. Mines a mess!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would like to get on your list before you go "big time" :lol:.

As always, informational threads are always welcomed.

Top Bottom