What's new

What's your favorite Cooking Show?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
TV has a lot of cooking shows and I've pretty much seen them all. I avoid any shows that are "reality" based like Chopped. Hell's Kitchen is another one that I can't stand to watch because of all the senseless cussing and beeping. A lot of the cooking shows have chef's(or so called) who have become celebrities and now just have too much face time on the tube. Fresh new faces are what I look for. In my opinion PBS is the leader in good educational programs that instruct on how to cook without all the mindless fodder. My favorites are Cook Country's American Test Kitchen and Simply Ming. Even though Martha Stewart is a big celebrity she still produces a very good show and is a fine teacher.

What is or was your favorite cooking show? Why?

I like the shows where they still actually provide instruction in how to cook. Therefore, I agree that PBS wins that category. America's Test Kitchen is my favorite. That being said, I do like Ina Garten. Her voice relaxes me.

But I do love a cooking show and will watch pretty much anything except the over the top reality stuff where it ceases to become about the food.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Jacque Pepin had a great show on PBS. I also liked his show with the queen of TV cooking shows, Julia Child.

Last edited:
+1 for ATK and Cooks Country. I wish they'd make more of them each year.

Of course Good Eats, too. I wish Alton hadn't ended the show and jumped on the reality show bandwagon.

I just discovered "French Food at Home" with Laura Calder. It's in repeats now and new ones haven't been made in a couple of years, I guess. Good recipes, and instruction, plus Laura is pretty easy on the eyes.

I liked Aarti Party on FN, it was primarily Indian dishes, but it's been cancelled.

I like Diner, Drive-ins and Dives, I think it illustrates the "real" American small,independent restaurant.

Food Network overall is a disappointment, they've gotten away from food and recipes, and turned into a personality channel. Sister channel Cooking, is a bit better, but many of their shows (when they're not showing FN repeats) are so trendy, that they run for a season and are all used up.

...Of course Good Eats, too. I wish Alton hadn't ended the show and jumped on the reality show bandwagon...

That was my favorite. I'm a nerdy engineer, so i loved the science and chemistry explanations, plus he would usually show you two or three different ways to prepare stuff depending on what you had available.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
+1 for ATK and Cooks Country. I wish they'd make more of them each year.

Of course Good Eats, too. I wish Alton hadn't ended the show and jumped on the reality show bandwagon.

I just discovered "French Food at Home" with Laura Calder. It's in repeats now and new ones haven't been made in a couple of years, I guess. Good recipes, and instruction, plus Laura is pretty easy on the eyes.

I liked Aarti Party on FN, it was primarily Indian dishes, but it's been cancelled.

I like Diner, Drive-ins and Dives, I think it illustrates the "real" American small,independent restaurant.

Food Network overall is a disappointment, they've gotten away from food and recipes, and turned into a personality channel. Sister channel Cooking, is a bit better, but many of their shows (when they're not showing FN repeats) are so trendy, that they run for a season and are all used up.

+1 on this. FN is about where MTV was in the late 80's early 90's. If they keep it up they won't even show any food.:tongue_sm As for triple D, that is one of my favorites and love to see different parts of the country and how the food differs from my area.

I like to watch in no particular order:
Good Eats
America's Test Kitchen
French Food at Home
anything by Giada de Laurentiis for both cleavage and recipes :thumbup1:

All have recipes that are duds but all in all their technique is usually superior.

$bourdain.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use to watch a show back in the 80's named Yan Can Cook. The chef is Martin Yan. His show disappeared in the 90's. Looks like he is starting a new run of shows on PBS starting in the fall.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I really enjoy Rick Bayless - Mexico one plate at the time on PBS. Other than that, Jacques Pépin is a regular (It's a culture thing but the quantity of butter that goes in the dish is always impressive). Steven Raichlen (Primal Grill and BBQ University) are also shows that I watch often.

I used to watch Iron Chef a lot too when I could catch it. I can't seem to see it anymore... The Japanese version, of course.

I really enjoy Rick Bayless - Mexico one plate at the time on PBS.

Was going to say this too ... Bayless really piqued my interest in cooking Mexican food ... which led me to cooking virtually everything else.

I do like watching Chopped, but mainly because I like to think about what I would do if I was given those four ingredients, and then to see what the others come up with.

Also anything with Giada or Nigella Lawson is great....heck even if the volume is on mute its STILL worth watching!!

Absolutely! There are 4 great reasons to watch Giada and Nigella.

Of course I mean
1) variety of dishes
2) exposure to different cuisines
3) cooking skills
4) tips and tricks

:001_cool:

+1 anything with Anthony Bourdain, granted his shows aren't technically cooking shows but they are entertaining. I also really liked the one that used to be on PBS with the Cajun guy, I think his name was Justin Wilson. He was entertaining and the southern/Cajun recipes that he made were not fancy but always looked awesome. And everything had wine it, along with a glass for the cook.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Was going to say this too ... Bayless really piqued my interest in cooking Mexican food ... which led me to cooking virtually everything else.

I do like watching Chopped, but mainly because I like to think about what I would do if I was given those four ingredients, and then to see what the others come up with.

+2 Rick Bayless has a great show. His mannerisms and they way he talks sort of creeps me out though.

Top Bottom