What's new

What's your favorite Cooking Show?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Still rooting for the Browns?
I am a lifelong Steelers fan, who happens to miss the day when the Browns were our rival, and not the ex-cons that constitute the Ravens. Plus, I lived in Cleveland from the age of 13 (1981) until 1992. I have a soft spot for Cleveland- it's a great town with great people. I admire their dedication to lost causes.

Last edited:
Back to the Topics at hand

I love watching Gorden Ramsey and Alton Brown the best .. Also I find Rachel Ray Sexy as hell and would to cook with her ...

America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country certainly. Or anything else Christopher Kimball might come up with. I love the nature of the tested recipes and demos.

But on a different note, I also love Nadia G's "Bitchin' Kitchen"

I love watching Worst Cooks in America. Mostly because these people are train-wrecks in the kitchen, but for the most part, they're naïve and likeable, and willing to learn. We follow that, Master Chef, Food Fighters, and Top Chef.

We watch Hell's Kitchen, but every season I ask my wife to let it be the last one. Each season that show becomes more about being a circus and less about cooking.

My favorite, by far, is Good Eats. I love the pragmatic and somewhat-scientific approach to cooking. More of the "why" to accompany the "how". I have the DVR set to record any re-run episodes that show (usually 7-10 per week), and just watch the ones that strike my fancy, and delete the rest.

As an engineer, I like shows that get into the science of cooking. That's why Good Eats and the Cooks Illustrated shows are my favorites.

If you have Netflix, check out "Chef's Table". It's not a cooking show, per se, but it goes into the background and theory of some of the best chefs in the world.

There's a new concept on Saturday mornings, mixed in with other kid-centric programming.

This one is called "Recipe Rehab" and it takes a family's tried-and-true comfort meals and turns them over to two guest chefs ... they take the basics from the family and kick it into Turbo-mode. They might substitute Tofu for chicken, perhaps add some herbs and seasonings, whatever ... it turns the original family favorite into a whole new meal.

Then the family grades the two chef's entries, and rates them on a scale of 1~10 in categories like taste, ease-of-prep, and healthiness.

Remember, this is aimed at kids, so a lot of the stuff they present is shown at a lower level than we adults are used to. Its a decent show. Not one of the best cooking shows I've ever seen, but its several cuts above the normal Saturday morning drivel.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I just got through watching the TV show Man Fire Food. Roger has a great show. This weeks episode was a tour of central Texas BBQ places. Quail, sausage, ribs, chicken.

If you have Netflix, check out "Chef's Table". It's not a cooking show, per se, but it goes into the background and theory of some of the best chefs in the world.

The second half of season 3 of Mind of a Chef has Magnus Nilsson.

Chef's Table and Mind of a Chef are both great shows.

I use to watch a show back in the 80's named Yan Can Cook. The chef is Martin Yan. His show disappeared in the 90's. Looks like he is starting a new run of shows on PBS starting in the fall.

I used to love Yan Can Cook!! that guy was awesome.

Now a days I learn a lot from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I even record it when I see good recipes. I am getting a little tired of it though.
Also like watching Anthony Bourdain even though they don't always show you how things are cooked, but I still learn a lot.

I love cooking. it's my main hobby.

Top Bottom