What's new

Refined Steel Sheffield

Need help with this blade I just got from eBay (the newbie got the best of me). Can anybody tell me the manufacturer of it? I searched for the hammer logo on the shank with “Refined Steel Sheffield” blades, but I was unsuccessful in finding anything.

I was looking for a wedge to restore and this seemed to be a nice one to try it on.

The tang seems to be chewed off, but I have seen that some of them had a very small tang to begin with, regardless I can still hold the razor well enough.

The scales are either panted horn or tortoise, but they are in really bad state, I may need to rescale L, unless there is a way I can save them. Any suggestions?

I have no experience whatsoever restoring, nor I have the tools for that matter, but I have been reviewing the restore section, and will continue to do so. But if you have any suggestions on the best way to start, they will be greatly appreciated. Consider me blank canvas.

Attachments

• $Refined Steel Sheffield 1.jpg
    $Refined Steel Sheffield 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 86
  • $Refined Steel Sheffield 2.jpg
    $Refined Steel Sheffield 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 85
  • $Refined Steel Sheffield 3.jpg
    $Refined Steel Sheffield 3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 85
  • $Refined Steel Sheffield 4.jpg
    $Refined Steel Sheffield 4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 84
I would not do too much to that blade, it is VERY old and should look it.

You can soak the scales in neetsfoot oil and will re hydrate them, they are painted horn and starting to delaminate a little.

You can sand them to remove the jagged edges but not much more than that.

The heel on the razor looks a little iffy, might need to grind it down a little to be able to hone it

I have no more information on the razor

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Nice razor, that is an easy 200 + year old razor. Like Doc said, I would not do too much to it.
I do not know the maker, or recognize the mark.

Thanks for the responses, I won't mess much with the blade as suggested. Is there any alternative to neetsfoot oil? It's not so readily available in Germany

Neatsfoot oil is used in saddle oils, which you can get in sport shops like Decathlon.
Apart from a good soak of the scales, please leave that razor alone, it's perfect as it is.
You'll never find the maker, by the way, there were simply too many at that time.

Top Bottom