What's new

Best high end brush company?

I like them all. I never met a badger brush I didn't like (horsehair, on the other hand...).

Seriously, brushes all have their pros and cons -- backbone, scritch, color, handle shape, shed factor, price point, etc. So best is relative to your situation and preference. Some days I like using my Rooney Stubby 2, and some days I'm just as happy using an entry-grade Parker or mid-level Vulfix. If someone stole all of my brushes and left me just one, I can truthfully say I'd be content with whichever one that was left behind. As it is, I'm enjoying trying as many different brushes as I can. I seriously like them ALL!!!

If you're looking to purchase a high end brush your best bet it to set a budget, state the qualities you like in a brush and ask for recommendations. Then your research begins.

Shavemac definitely does top-notch work. My only experience with them, though, is the 2014 B&B LE in D01 two-band. As premium as that knot is, I think I could use it to scrub the black gunk off my grill. :lol: It's not poor quality, just a little bit too scratchy for my current tastes. I'm not letting go of it, though. I've had my tastes change before, and I'm aware that it's a best-of-breed brush. Maybe someday, I'll learn to appreciate a really good scrub!

Just out of curiosity: it has more scrub than your 49? (sorry for asking a boaring question :blush:)

I know the "Best" word starts a debate that really cannot be answered, but my take is that because "Best" means different things to different people, if the proverbial gun was put to my head, my answer is Shavemac.
Why?
1. They have excellent workmanship quality of all their brushes and stand behind this.
2. There are a number of different choices of knots (shapes and hair types), Handles (styles and materials)
3. The customer can design and build their own brush to their own specifications including handle shape and color, knot shape, size, loft and hair type.
4. Excellent customer service in that you can contact the owner directly for all questions.

Just my thoughts.

I know the "Best" word starts a debate that really cannot be answered, but my take is that because "Best" means different things to different people, if the proverbial gun was put to my head, my answer is Shavemac.
Why?
1. They have excellent workmanship quality of all their brushes and stand behind this.
2. There are a number of different choices of knots (shapes and hair types), Handles (styles and materials)
3. The customer can design and build their own brush to their own specifications including handle shape and color, knot shape, size, loft and hair type.
4. Excellent customer service in that you can contact the owner directly for all questions.

Just my thoughts.

Yes indeed.

On top of all this the consistency of the knots has been very predictable for a number of years now. I have thru trial and lots of errors landed in this line up from Shavemac.

They are all (save one) built for me and constitute my golden reference for other brushes. Although the B&B LE 2014 is not a custom for me from Shavemac it does have the Shavemac knot I knew I wanted after trying one in a smaller size. Sometimes you get lucky. :001_cool:

Shavemac 2 band (LE 2014, handle by Rudy Vey), 3 band D01, silvertip and finest

For comparison, this is my brush rotation:

I consider all of these my desert island brushes, but the Shavemacs are in a league of their own. I do have to admit that I haven't been able to establish a working relation with Lee Sabini...:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all major brands make very good brushes (Simpsons, Rooney's, Thäter, Shavemac, ...). One of my best brushes is actually a cheap Chinese one (Frank's Brushes).

A more pertinent question in my opinion is: given one's preference for this or that type/size of brush, which company can sell me that brush at the lowest price.

I hear that the Plissons are floppy pretty often. For the prices of their highest grades it's hard to want to try it if it's going to be floppy. I do wish I could try one out, though.

Mine is floppy but it's the one from L'Occitane. I think for $55 it's a good synthetic knot and the handle is nice.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Mine is floppy but it's the one from L'Occitane. I think for $55 it's a good synthetic knot and the handle is nice.

I already have a Plisson Synth on the way, but it's an Access Ferrari Red model coming from France. It's supposedly got more backbone than a Muhle Black Fiber which had enough for me given the spring of the synthetic fiber. I just wish it would get here already. Darn import waiting time...

A floppy badger would bother me more than a longer synthetic.

The best high end company to me is the brush I like to shave with.That changes from day to day & beard growth & time of the year & hardness of water & if I took a shower before my shave & if I use cream or soap.Hope this brought some light to the original question.:lol:

I wish I could bring it down to just one........ (High End Brush Company).
The simple answer is I can't as most members have stated it is very much a YMMV personal thing, I own a quite large selection of different brands of shaving brushes, and models.

And I love them all for so many different things i.e Hair grade, Handle design, either Boar or badger 3band Vs 2band, Density, flow through, Quality Fit & Finish, ALL these things play very important part as too why we choose a certain brands or companies.

This is not me just sitting on the fence.......... as I enjoy & love them all.

Charles U.K

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If I were forced to pick, I would pick Shavemac. I would never name Thater after the stunt they pulled with a member here a couple years ago when he had an issue and they refused to address it and posted his personal contact information online.

That's easy, it's obviously the Orthodox Church of the Silvertip, but I acknowledge that Conservative Two-Band and Synthetic Reform have some appeal. You just have watch out for the crazies from the Cult of the Tweezerman. :tongue_sm

You talking about these guys? I hear they've reformed some.

$tweezecult.png

Top Bottom