What's new

multi vitamin

I've read a lot of science papers about this subject and a lot of them say that oral intake of multivitamins aren't beneficial. Some even state that people who use them, will live shorter! :O

I've read a lot of science papers about this subject and a lot of them say that oral intake of multivitamins aren't beneficial. Some even state that people who use them, will live shorter! :O

Too much of anything could be bad but I don't believe for a second that taking a multivitamin would be bad. I heard that stupid report on the news too. Over the years, I've heard just about everything we do, eat, drink, breathe in, put on our skin, etc. is bad for us. :lol:

I use a garden variety multivitamin as recommended by the Harvard School of Public Health.

I probably would just use a generic Flintstones style because (1) they are inexpensive and (2) little colorful chewable animals are FUN.

In reality, I use an Centrum Men's formula--what makes it a man's vitamin? No iron and more selenium I think. A bit more pricey than the above but hardly break the bank.

I take GNC mega mens, it is a real high dose multi vitamin though high doses of B-vitamins and it does have zinc and other supplements in it supposedly to help with mens issues, (prostrate and virility) days I work I normally take the recommended dosage of 2 pills days I am off I just take 1 a day. I notice on days I take 2 sometimes the body can only consume and or need so much so some of them gets flushed out of the system so to speak. I work a lot of wierd hours so they seem to help me with energy a little as I notice a effect when I don't take them.

ALIVE! by Natures Way. The ONLY complete vitamin. Get it on the internet for half price. 180 pills for 22.00. Instructions say to take 3 a day, but 2 works well for me. I use to take Trader Joe's Men's Formula, but this blows it away.

If you would like to supplement your diet with a multi, stay away from the mega doses. They are, generally, not healthful. Excess fat soluble vitamins can accumulate in the body and reach toxic levels if taken in high doses. Most excess water soluble vitamins will be excreted but can tax your system.

You might also have a look at liquid multis.

All things being equal, liquid multivitamins will be assimilated more completely than a tablet (because they are already in liquid form and require less digestion prior to absorption).

You also don't need to take a multi every day. For example, I take a liquid every three or four days and it works best for me.

If you can afford it, a nutritionist can recommend a balanced diet and you may not need a multi.

This is definitely a YMMV area.

Good luck.

:)

I take the men's multi vitamin from Melaleuca. The vitamins use fructose compounding to help with absorbtion in the bloodstream. They have other supplements, too, as well as many other product types.

You need to be a member to buy their products, but this works out great for our household. YMMV. Feel free to PM if you'd like more info.

Nutrilite Double X is what I use. I've tried quite a few of the others mentioned in this thread and I feel a distinct difference when using these.

It's important to know what you should look for in a multi-vitamin, price and brand may not be your main consideration. As an idea of what to look for, I've seen Dr Roizen's vitamin recommendations at ... Vital Vitamins and Supplements

The big push is to get people to have enough vitamin D.

Centrum, a calcium supplement, and a fish oil (twice a day). I had read an article in Men's Health on the fish oil. Very interesting!

I've taken many vitamins for the last 40 years. I think it started as my folks always had us (5 kids) take a "One-A-Day" every day. There was this little pop up dispenser that sat on the kitchen table.

Today I buy all of my vitamins at COSTCO and find their Kirkland Brand to be quite good. I believe that I take their Centrum Senior House Brand plus Vitamin C and a their Calcium Citrate. During the winter months I also add one of their Vitamin tablets. If you live in a year around sunny locale and get exposure to sun, that probably is not necessary.

If you would like to supplement your diet with a multi, stay away from the mega doses. They are, generally, not healthful. Excess fat soluble vitamins can accumulate in the body and reach toxic levels if taken in high doses. Most excess water soluble vitamins will be excreted but can tax your system.

You might also have a look at liquid multis.

All things being equal, liquid multivitamins will be assimilated more completely than a tablet (because they are already in liquid form and require less digestion prior to absorption).

You also don't need to take a multi every day. For example, I take a liquid every three or four days and it works best for me.

If you can afford it, a nutritionist can recommend a balanced diet and you may not need a multi.

This is definitely a YMMV area.

Good luck.

:)

Do you recommend any specific liquid multi brands?

Top Bottom