What's new

Homemade Paddle Strop In Progress...

So I had been thinking about buying a paddle strop from Whipped Dog or another vendor until I stumbled across a paddle "blank" at Hobby Lobby this morning for $4.50ish after a 40% off coupon. Took it home, cut some denim off of a scrap pair of Levi's, staple gun presto change-o I've got a paddle strop!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409627997.817114.jpg

My primary strop right now is a split side Walkin Horse with a cotton webbed backing. The split side is more like a suede feel than English bridle or Latigo. I don't currently have anything loaded with CrOx.

My question is should I load CrOx onto the denim and add a leather backing (bridle/Latigo) to this paddle? Or should I double down on the denim and leave one side CrOx and one side raw?

Anybody have a good source for 3" leather? See some options on Amazon but for much longer lengths than I need.

Go back and get another paddle. Balsa the other side of this one then crox both sides, put plain denim and smooth leather on the other one......:thumbup:

Go back and get another paddle. Balsa the other side of this one then crox both sides, put plain denim and smooth leather on the other one......:thumbup:

Sounds like a plan. I see some 3" strips of Latigo and Bridle leather on Amazon and eBay but most are like 72" long and cost $25-35ish. Anybody know of a place to get 24" sections for $10ish? Worst case scenario I can buy a longer piece and have extras/replacements.

One more thing... Where do y'all get your CrOx from and in what form? I'm thinking crayon and see some buffing compound sticks on Amazon but don't want to buy the wrong thing.

When I apply crox powder to a balsa strop, I use a cheap, stiff bristle artist's paint brush about 3/4" wide. You can get them at any hobby shop for about a buck. Dip the the tips of the dry bristles in the crox powder (just the very tip of the brush) and brush it gently onto your strop. The evenness of the application will blow you away.

When I apply crox powder to a balsa strop, I use a cheap, stiff bristle artist's paint brush about 3/4" wide. You can get them at any hobby shop for about a buck. Dip the the tips of the dry bristles in the crox powder (just the very tip of the brush) and brush it gently onto your strop. The evenness of the application will blow you away.

Berg. Should have read this more closely before applying. Oh well.

I mixed the CrOx and FEROX with mineral oil (separate batches naturally) and used the "x" method. Not the most even but it got the job done.

As for results, I received a factory fresh Hart 7/8 a few weeks ago that didn't really seem to be as sharp as I would prefer. I gave it about 15 laps on each side of my newly pasted and dried paddle strop, then 25 cotton webbing, 50 leather. The improvement was immediately apparent. It would tree top some arm hairs before but now it really mows them down. Finished shaving about 15 min ago and there is a bit of irritation but it was much easier to use the razor in the sharper condition.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
With some spare time on my hands, a few bucks at Home Depot for a 2-1/2" x 1/2" wide piece of oak and some old suede hanging around, look at what you can do....

Stropping surface is approx 9-3/4 x 2-1/2"

There's a spot on the strop that should dry out soon enough. My finger had some Goo-B-Gone on it when I was wiping off any glue residue and I accidentally touched the strop surface. Under a loupe, it just looks wet and I cannot feel any difference with my fingertips if I close my eyes. The blade does not drag over it either, so all is well.
proxy.php

and the other side pasted with TI-white. Wow! The pic shows it like it's caked with paste. It's actually not. I have a small beauty cream container from SWMBO's "used up" stuff that I rescued from going in the trash and mooshed some of the gummy crayonish TI paste into it with some baby oil. It does become very nice and spreadable after this, as oppossed to the bubble-gum texture of the past.
proxy.php

This was inspired by syngent as, when he was over on Monday, he mentioned how he lays his strop flat to use.

With some spare time on my hands, a few bucks at Home Depot for a 2-1/2" x 1/2" wide piece of oak and some old suede hanging around, look at what you can do....

Stropping surface is approx 9-3/4 x 2-1/2"

There's a spot on the strop that should dry out soon enough. My finger had some Goo-B-Gone on it when I was wiping off any glue residue and I accidentally touched the strop surface. Under a loupe, it just looks wet and I cannot feel any difference with my fingertips if I close my eyes. The blade does not drag over it either, so all is well.
proxy.php

and the other side pasted with TI-white. Wow! The pic shows it like it's caked with paste. It's actually not. I have a small beauty cream container from SWMBO's "used up" stuff that I rescued from going in the trash and mooshed some of the gummy crayonish TI paste into it with some baby oil. It does become very nice and spreadable after this, as oppossed to the bubble-gum texture of the past.
proxy.php

This was inspired by syngent as, when he was over on Monday, he mentioned how he lays his strop flat to use.

Those are some nice paddles! I love DIY items :)

Top Bottom