What's new

Easy Higonokami knife hack

Legion

Staff member
I really like the blade of the Japanese Higonokami knife I bought recently, and I think it might be a good EDC. The biggest flaws I can see in the design are a) the exposed carbon spine will be prone to rust on sweaty summer days (Opinel are the same), and b) the simple folded brass handle is really unergonomic and uncomfortable to hold.

So this is my quick solution. It is a fitted, open leather cover that goes over the knife while it is in the pocket. It doesn't add much bulk. Swing it off to open the blade, then put it back over the handle while you cut. It's amazing how much nicer the handle is to hold with a bit of leather over the sharp edges.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've got one of those, same make but different finish. Do you find yours loosens at the pivot way too quickly? I made a sheath for it out of denim from an old pair of jeans

Legion

Staff member
I bought it from a Japanese ebay store, Metalmasterjp. Apparently there are two main makers of the Higo knife in Japan. The official maker (blue and gold box), and the non official maker (blue and white box, with a samurai on the handle) who makes a higher quality knife with better fit and finish.

I went with the non official, better quality brand.

So far the blade is still tight in the scales, but I'm sure if it loosens it would be just like peening a razor to tighten it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom