What's new

Granpa's Straight

Picked up my grand father's straight, this weekend, from my mom. I want to clean this up, get it honed and shave ready, so, I put this thread here. I haven't even posted in this section of the forum, so, Please move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

$100_7265.jpg
$100_7267.jpg

My mom remembers him shaving with this, maybe close to 70 years ago. When I was little, I remember him using DE, then, later, Electrics. I am amazed at how clean it is......And, this is Priceless, to me.

I have cleaned up plenty of DE with the fairly standard BB methods, usually involving Flitz. There are a few "spots" on the spine as well. Any and All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Congrats on the find, priceless indeed.

I would not do much to it, you can clean up the blade pretty well with Mother's, Flitz or similar compound then hone her and enjoy

You have to make a decision. Do you want to shave with it. If the answer is not right now I would put a good quality oil on the blade and put it away with a letter describing everything you and your mom know about it. If the answer is yes! I must shave with this razor and no other then do a lot of homework and send it off to someone that can evaluate and hone it properly. Then buy a strop they recommend and start shaving. I would not presume to tell you what to do but I wish I could shave with a razor that one of my grandfathers used.

Thanks Doc.

Mike, I have to.....:laugh:....I will get Lots of input before the honing.

Q1, can you hone A = no send it of because you will wreck it. A= yes do it and enjoy. Also follow. The above advice

Brace yourself, my friend. You are about to enter into rarified territory: using the razor your grandfather used. Whether DE or straight, that is an incredibly-enviable position. I desperately wish I could use my grandfather's safety razor.

Top Bottom