What's new

Best Cartridge Razor?

I know that there have been some threads on this previously but am looking for an update.

When I travel I take a Sensor Excel as I only have carry on luggage.

After some years I'm now getting to the end of the supply of carts I got before starting DE and the handle is looking a little tired.

Is there a better or more cost effective cartridge 'system' out there? Current or vintage doesn't matter - just needs to be available at a reasonable price.

I know that this seems like an odd choice with all or the big brand name cartridges out there but these give the best shave ever IMHO and are extremely long lasting. They will even fit your Sensor Excel handle. Their performance surprised me. I bought them when I was travelling and no other was available. I only gave up using them when I retired and started shaving once every two weeks. They would pack up like any other cartridge and were hard to clean. I switched to DE razors for ease of cleaning.

Last edited:
CVS Pharmacies still have Sensors and Sensor cartidges, of course, instead of maybe $3.95 or whatever they were when first replacing Atras, they are $10.95. The only system of cartidge type that I think was ever almost as good as the Sensor was the Schick FX, and those are definitely hard to find, either handles or cartridges.

Thanks guys.

No CVS Down Under but Sensors still available on eBay and elsewhere online - real or fake though is my question about some of them.

Any vintage ones better than current ones and still readily available?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Gillette Guard
Look it up on ebay or WCS has them.
Very cheap and effective.

I'll vote for Gillette Guard. Brought a BIC Sensitive Shaver as my travel razor instead of the Guard and I was kicking myself every time I shaved. Also my favorite razor for head shaving.

I like the Bic Sensitive. It's not a cartridge system, but a disposable razor. They are a single blade and give me a shave that feels closest to a DE.

Offtopic but, i would recommend a braun 7 shaver, expensive but will last years of use and gives me a damn smooth shave for me.

I graduated in 93 and was using it then after the sensor i kept thinking man my razor never used to clog up THIS bad.

Regardless of being typically DE, the Sensor and the tracII will always have a place in my cabinet. And to add to that, I've made September the month of the TracII!

I went to DE shaving, but use to like the Atra from parker, heavy and nice. Only two blades on the cartridge which I prefred to 3/4 blades

What would make a Sensor better than a Trac razor? Just the spring mounted blades? I think I'll pass then. Or are there other innovations?

I can remember that I was not impressed when the Sensor came out. But I don't know exactly anymore why. Flimsy looking handle probably.

Top Bottom