What's new

Barbershop Handle Hat-Trick. . .Plus Three

The latest brushes I’ve restored. . .and the last ones for awhile. Just too many brushes in the rotation. Lol

Several of the handles required considerable work – the upper portion of the handles were pretty beat up. Somewhere down the line (of ownership), I think the user(s) kept their soap or cream in concrete containers or used concrete bowls to whip lather. But, a little elbow grease and patience. . . . .well. . .

First, the Hat-Trick. . . .

Adoration. . .white over butterscotch:

The lower portion of the handle is Catalin. This is just like the handle I restored not long ago ( here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/399444-Adoration-Addition?highlight= ), but this handle is bigger. This time, as you can see, I did not remove the butterscotch patina. Under the patina, on this handle, is the same yellow Catalin.

Pre-bloom. . . .

Initial bloom. . . .

There is a hairline crack down the one side and base. Based on the coloration of the crack, it’s been there for some time and is stable.

Sanding: None

Polishing: Maguire’s PlastX

The original knot hole diameter: 30.2mm

Knot used: TGN 30mm Finest (bulb)

Loft: 52mm

Effective knot size [hair diameter at base] = 31.0mm

Overall height: 137.2mm

Adoration 5. . . .red over white (with a red base):

Pre-bloom. . . .

Initial bloom. . . .

Sanding:

Base – 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

Lower Portion of Handle – I wanted to bring the color close to the branding paint colors, I had to start with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper. I then moved through 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

Upper Portion of Handle – 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

Polishing: 3M buffing compound and Maguire’s PlastX

The original knot hole diameter: 30.2mm

Knot used: TGN 30mm Grade A Silvertip (bulb)

Loft height = 51.1mm

Effective knot size [hair diameter at base] = 32.0mm

Overall height: 139.1mm

Hess Delux 5. . . .red over butterscotch:

The lower portion of the handle had a darker patina around the grip ring area. I didn’t want to disturb this type of “fade” appearance.

As you can see in the above pictures, the upper portion of the handle isn’t seated properly on the lower. Thankfully, during the knot removal prep, I was able to separate the two parts of the handle.

The lower portion of the handle is white Catalin.

Pre-bloom. . . .

Initial bloom. . . .

Sanding:

Upper portion of handle – 100 dry sandpaper; then 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

Lower potion of handle – None

The original knot hole diameter: 30.5mm

Knot used: TGN 28mm Finest (bulb)

Loft height = 51.1mm

Effective knot size [hair diameter at base] = 32.0mm

Overall height: 140.0mm

The Plus. . . . . .

Ever-Ready 750BN Badgerlon. . . .acrylic:

An interesting knot. . .the original is a mix of Badger and Nylon. Hence the name. . .”Badgerlon.”

Pre-bloom. . . .

Post bloom. . . .

Sanding:

Upper Third – 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper.

Lower Two-Thirds – 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper - lightly

Polishing: 3M buffing compound and Maguire’s PlastX. For the vertical fluting, Meguiars PlastX

The original knot hole diameter: 21.4mm

Knot used: TGN 26mm F2 Finest (bulb)

Loft height = 47.5mm

Effective knot size [hair diameter at base] = 28.4mm

Overall height: 97.53mm

Macy 2501. . . .white over butterscotch:

I’ve had this handle for several years and finally decided to finish it.

Pre-bloom. . . .

Post bloom. . . .

Sanding: 3000 wet/dry sandpaper

The original knot hole diameter: 19mm

Knot: TGN 24mm Finest (bulb)

Loft: 51.2mm

Effective knot size [hair diameter at base] = 26.4mm

Overall height: 107.3mm

Rubberset 200-4. . . .black over white:

Pre-bloom. . . .

Initial bloom. . . .

Sanding:

Base (wobbly) – a small hand file and then 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

Lower Portion of Handle – 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

Upper Portion of Handle – 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper

The upper portion of the handle (black) I did a satin finish, but left the rim high polished.

The original knot hole diameter: 27.5mm

Knot: TGN 26mm Finest (bulb)

Loft: 50.3mm

Effective knot size [hair diameter at base]: 28.5mm

Overall height: 130.4mm

WOW!

proxy.php

Thanks for the compliments.

Great work!! how did you get that paint inside the lucite handle? Beautiful!

I balled up a piece of Post It note paper and then held it using a hemostat (tweezers would also work). I dipped the edges of the balled up paper in paint and stamp/twist the paper ball in the knot hole - starting from the center of the base and working out. I found that dabbing the rolled up paper ball into paint and then dabbing it on paper, before applying it to the handle, worked best. This removed the excess paint and made the pattern crisper. I also used a toothpick to create pattern lines and hit areas where the paper ball could not reach. I let each color dry before applying the next color. I layered the paint from lightest to darkest (i.e., white, yellow, red). The black was applied with a brush, after the other colors were applied.

The surface of the knot hole was roughed using 600 grit sandpaper - to make sure the paint would adhere to the surface.

I tried different type of paper, cellophane, etc. . . .and the the Post It note paper worked the best.

Thanks for the compliments.

I balled up a piece of Post It note paper and then held it using a hemostat (tweezers would also work). I dipped the edges of the balled up paper in paint and stamp/twist the paper ball in the knot hole - starting from the center of the base and working out. I found that dabbing the rolled up paper ball into paint and then dabbing it on paper, before applying it to the handle, worked best. This removed the excess paint and made the pattern crisper. I also used a toothpick to create pattern lines and hit areas where the paper ball could not reach. I let each color dry before applying the next color. I layered the paint from lightest to darkest (i.e., white, yellow, red). The black was applied with a brush, after the other colors were applied.

The surface of the knot hole was roughed using 600 grit sandpaper - to make sure the paint would adhere to the surface.

I tried different type of paper, cellophane, etc. . . .and the the Post It note paper worked the best.

Amazing work! It turned out great. I love the lucite handles cause you can really customize them.

TREMENDOUS RESTORATIONS!!! Loved every photo. As I scrolled through the Hess photos I thought, "He's saved the best for last!" Not true! The Badgerlon and Macy restorations are exceptional. I need to find a handle to stuff to accomodate a large TGN finest knot!

Top Bottom