What's new

BBS shave on a one-day rotation: how do you do it?

I have no problem getting BBS shaves (or close to it) when I shave every two or three days. However, when I shave every day, it seems it's impossible. Even with my trusty R41, and a new blade, a one-day turnaround seems unattainable.

Okay...experts, savants, let's hear your secrets: what do you do to get a BBS when you shave every day? Can it be done, or is there a combo of product and setup that will make this work?

Last edited:
I have noticed the same problem. I have a hypotesis: the prep is leaving some fat behind making it more difficult to hydrate the whiskers the next day.

I should try my hypotesis with something not containing fat. For example slim from flax seed work as a lube.

No problems achieving bbs on everyday shaves. Just wrapped one up about 20 minutes ago actually. Initially, it wasn't the case. But I've since learned to 'slow down' a bit, become diligent with my prep routine, apply no pressure letting the blade/razor do the work, and on my final pass (touchups/clean ups) I tend to use much shorter strokes. But that's just what works for me. The end result being a very smooth shave.

It took me a while to get my technique down but now I get a great three pass shave every day. A big part of that was learning to use a light touch and not forcing the BBS. Knowing when to say enough is enough in some spots like my throat area

Monday is always the best shave of the week for me. (I rarely shave on Sundays)
I truly believe it's that the blade has more to bite into...maybe the skin is better rested...
but there's no denying the fact.

No problems achieving bbs on everyday shaves
It took me a while to get my technique down but now I get a great three pass shave every day.

The crucial advice here seems to be (1) diligent with prep, (2) don't force the BBS, (3) shave lightly, and (4) use shorter strokes.

Is there any part of the prep which is crucial for a BBS shave? Any product-oriented advice?

IMHO it all comes down to your technique. As technique improves so do the shaves. You have to experiment and try different things as you add or take away from your own technique. It may take some time, but everyday BBS is something that can be achieved. :thumbup1: :001_rolle :w00t:

I shave every day and do a 4 pass to try and get a bbs every day. I used to do 3 passes with a touch up but found it was quicker and easier to do a super quick and light 4th pass.
Just learn what works best for your own face and keep doing that.
I also figured out that you can sometimes feel some stubble during your third or fourth pass that wont necessarily be there after you've rinsed off. As if the hair retracts a bit. If you keep trying to aggressively go after it, you maybe setting yourself up for a bad shave the next day. Also a good way to get ingrown hairs.

My best interval is a day and a half . . . which doesn't fit, even with my wacky schedule. But I don't go for BBS unless I need a shave that lasts for 14 hours. (It happens.) My goal every time I shave is DFS, and I get it. My face would howl if I went for BBS every day.

I need to have a day off. on sunday I let my skin rest. makes Monday a much better shave,

I'll do that on Sundays if I sleep late or something keeps me from shaving when I first get up. I wouldn't want to shave at 11:00am and then wake up at 3:30am for work the next day and go without a full days growth to work with. Otherwise, its 7days a week

I don't try for BBS shaves, but I have been getting them recently. In a perfect world, I'd shave every 36 hours. Once a day is just a little too often for my face. Now I am shaving usually every other day, and I have dialed in my prep, technique, and equipment to a place where I am happy with every 2-pass-and-touch-up shave.

Since I started using Graham (my modified Merkur 23C) a few days ago, I've had BBS every day with no irritation. Just some tenderness from shaving everyday, but that was there before Graham came on the scene. It really got me down to mostly BBS consistently instead of mostly not.

I'm in agreement with the advice I've read on this thread so far, but I'm less than confident - if only because the advice is general, and is already what I'm doing. Concentrating on your technique make sense...but specifically what do you need to do to achieve a consistent BBS?

There's a mountain of info in B&B, and with a random search, I found this info from Kyle:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/9745-How-to-Pre-Shave-Prep

Maybe other forum members are looking for this same information.

I shave every day and do a 4 pass to try and get a bbs every day. I used to do 3 passes with a touch up but found it was quicker and easier to do a super quick and light 4th pass.
I also figured out that you can sometimes feel some stubble during your third or fourth pass that wont necessarily be there after you've rinsed off. As if the hair retracts a bit. If you keep trying to aggressively go after it, you maybe setting yourself up for a bad shave the next day. Also a good way to get ingrown hairs.

+1.

+2. I as well do a 4 pass shave every day using a different setup each day. The one issue that affects BBS is the blade. Using a blade to many times or a blade that does not work for my skin & whiskers can leave me without a close irritation free shave.

Hi,

You will get about as many answers as posters, I suspect. ;)

I don't bother with BBS unless I need the extra couple hours before The Shadow shows up at the end of the day. A couple hours is all that BBS gains me over DFS.

I have a lot of coarse whiskers which grow fast. In an ideal world, I would shave DFS twice a day. But, of course, I do not unless I can get back home to shave a second time *and* know I will be out really late and so feel the need for that second shave.

My usual DFS shave is:

1) A good face washing. This is my prep.
2) A hot washcloth on whiskers just prior to the lathering.
3) Face lather with a tallow based soap
4) Face lather with a glycerine based soap
5) rewet brush tips and more face lathering, maybe 3x, maybe 4x to get the hydration right.
6) Pull a pass WTG with the mild side of my Fasan Double Slant.
7) Pull a pass ATG with the aggressive side of the Fasan.
8) wet fingers and feel around for any spots that need a touch up ATG.
9) rinse off residual soap with a cold washcloth.
10) I use Lubriderm lotion as an AS.

Now, this gets me DFS. The Fasan razor has a milder side and a more aggressive side. I use mild WTG then aggressive ATG for whisker reduction. The two soap thing is that glycerine is slipperier and tallow holds more water and does not dry out as quickly. The combo lets me pull the two passes with the one lathering sequence.

Now, onto BBS. I follow the above steps except the second pass with the Fasan is XTG.

8) rewet brush tips and relather with what is remaining in the brush.
9) pull out Grandpa's Gillette Old Type with a blade and one shim. Pull a third pass ATG.
10) wet finger tips, looking for any spots needing touching up ATG.
11) rinse off residual soap with cold washcloth.
12) I use Lubriderm lotion as an AS.

I have been at this for 38 years, with maybe one or two skipped days per month. I do not like running around unshaven. I started my shaving days with a Pre War Tech and moved to several razors over the years: Superspeed, Red Tip, NEW short and long combs, slants, etc. Even a couple straight razors. Early on, one razor worked for BBS. Then, two. Then three. For about the last 20 years I used a Tech followed by a NEW for DFS with two passes. Most of the time, I use that Old Type on a third pass for BBS.

It is the Old Type that does BBS for me. It is a close shaver, and will irritate easily. The shim actually makes it irritate less as it mimics the thicker blades back at the start of Gillette. Still, it is not something I would wish to use on a daily basis.

In the final analysis, I do not go for BBS unless I really think I need to. It isn't worth the effort for two hours worth of BBS before I am right back to DFS...

Stan

Last edited:
It took me a while to get my technique down but now I get a great three pass shave every day. A big part of that was learning to use a light touch and not forcing the BBS. Knowing when to say enough is enough in some spots like my throat area

Yes !! +1

I gave up BBS.....tried and was red faced all day at work

For now, Parker 24C and a WTG and a very very very light ATG
I think (hope) that this can get me through my 5 day work week..
I was off 2 weeks from work and was testing things out...back Thursday

But , even though I felt stubble moving my hand up my face... It didn't show hair till more than 12 hours later

I can live with that!!!

Mike

Top Bottom