What's new

Bevel setter analysis paralysis

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I went from film to C1k and never looked back. I asked the same question ,got similar advice, chose the C1k after trying a dmt. Much easier to hone the C1k scratches out for me.

YMMV is our mantra, HOWEVER Ive never seen such overwhelming agreement with the C1k. Not saying we ALL use it, but Ive never seen any negative comments. Its pricey , yes, but you only pay once. And considering the HUGE spread of honers here, film, arkies, cotis, cnats, synths, jnats etc, etc. We dont agree on many things!(LOL) but somehow that one is a big favorite.

100 USD is a lot of cash for a bevel setter. Agreed.
The C 1k is not neccessary.
I can hone a bevel that is just as good on another stone that costs much less - yes, I can and so can other people.

I use the C 1k because I like it.
I've tried a few bevel setters; Norton 1k, King 1k, Nani SS 1k 20mm & 10mm, Shapton Pro 1k & 1.5k, a Nani 1k I can't remember the name of right now, DMT 1.2k, maybe some more synths too and then there's a bunch of naturals; Amakusa white, Amakusa Red, Aoto, some weird white stone I never got the name of, and a few others.
Out of all of them, with the exception of setting bevels on a Botan Toishi - I like the feel of the Chosera 1k best.
The C 800x is pretty sweet too.

I am not saying the C 1k is the best stone or the best bevel setter. Just sayin'.... I like to use it more.
If all I had was a King 1k I'd hone on it and my bevels would be just as good as they are with anything else.
Really hate the feedback off that stone though...but I'd deal with it if my budget and common sense ruled the day.

I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to answer a question that, I am sure, has been asked MANY times. I'll check under the couch cushions for the extra nickels.
If I start asking about jnats, someone slap me, Please!

Fire away on the jnats. Thats what weve been waiting for! Lol. Take your time and dont be bashful, most of us here dont have lives and we dream about different finishing techniques and combinations! :thumbup:

I upgraded from my King 1K to a Shapton Pro 1.5K a month or so ago and I'm really happy with it. Seems pretty fast, hard wearing & cuts a nice bevel. The price was reasonable and unlike the glass stones both faces are useable, which I find cuts down lapping as I can use one side for razors & the other for knifes.

Gamma said:
100 USD is a lot of cash for a bevel setter. Agreed.
I almost bought the Chosera from EdenWebshops last month, it was the best deal I could find at the time but looking atm the have a sale on. If you don't have to pay VAT it looks more like $60-65 even with shipping over the pond:
http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-naniwa-chosera-1000-sharpening-stone.htm

The only thing I can recall was my Opinel knife a year or two ago, all went well. A few of people on the British Blades forum were recommeding them, I think they are based in the Netherlands but not sure.

Chefknivestogo.com Chosera 1K is $95 and free, very fast shipping. Been recommended by many for buying this particular stone.

-Edit: Just realized you are across the pond. Don't know how fast, or free from Chefknivestogo.com for Int'l shipping. My bad.

Everyone talks about how long it takes to remove DMT scratches. I had cause to compare Sigma 1.2k vs DMT 1.2k in just that. I forget the exact numbers, but DMT 8k cleaned up 100% of DMT 1.2k scratches in about 50% less time than Sigma 1.2k scratches.

So, yeah.

I think the idea is that the final price for someone in the USA would be about 65 USD.
But - shipping will take a while. Saving 30 on a 95 dollar stone is something to consider though.

I like my trad. Suehiro 1k/3k combo (blue/off-white) quite a bit. Goes in the $40-$50 range. Great set-up prior to natural water-stones IMO.

Last edited:
Maggard's is a couple hours away, will ship out to me for a not less than $95 and they're good folks. But $30 off...hmmm, I'll have to check that out when I can find my glasses. Getting old SUCKS!

Everyone talks about how long it takes to remove DMT scratches. I had cause to compare Sigma 1.2k vs DMT 1.2k in just that. I forget the exact numbers, but DMT 8k cleaned up 100% of DMT 1.2k scratches in about 50% less time than Sigma 1.2k scratches.

So, yeah.

I hear you, BUT what is the effective grit of the dmt now? Is it 1200 when you buy it? Is it 1200 after break in? I dont know. We have to agree that the "grit" level changes. After 10 bevels, 50 or 100. THere is a relatively fast drop off with out of the box and break in. ANd a slower one after. But what is it really after 50 bevels? Answer is unknown, so thats why I prefer stones. I know I have whatever effective grit its made of. Ive used them and I know they work. Just for me I prefer stones.

Yeah, I can't rightly say the exact grit. It certainly looks far finer under the scope than any other 1k.

I can say I tested speed and it beat the Sigma there too. So effective grit is kind of moot. It's faster and finer than the alternative. It could be 7.9999999k, I'd still be happy using it in place of a 1k, since it is still faster.

How broken in is it? Well I don't remember my first 1.2k changing at all over the years I had it. I've had this one maybe two years now? Looked new when I bought it, but it was second hand, so who can say. I'll say the edges I've pulled off the DMT's haven't changed in the four years I've been scoping them. That's across two DMT's with a couple years of refinement on each. I really think a LOT of the "common knowledge" with DMT's just got repeated enough people believe it without testing, or with minimal testing, allowing mistakes to compromise the results. The same story with people saying they Chip razors. The just don't. Not knowing how to hone chips razors. Not knowing how to remove chips before deciding your bevel is set "chips" razors.

Yes I agree, it's plenty logical that an aggressive, ultra-hard cutting medium like diamonds should leave a very deep scratch pattern, but in all the razors I've honed, the DMT cuts are actually the easiest low grit hone I've found to clean up after, mainly because there is virtually no variance in particle size. That's why I love the DMT's, I've put up a few 400x edge shots, and they look beautiful, because there are almost no odd particles out. Maybe the scratches are slightly deeper, but that is overcome long before the irregularities in the edge from other hones are repaired.

Cool. Great share. I wish I could agree with it though. The grit ratings on mine have changed too much for me to have faith in it. Specifically the 1200. I know you use it often as you hone alot as do I. But we dont have to agree on everything right? LOL.

Absolutely. Chos are good hones too. I'd use a Chos or SP if the DMT's didn't exist. No need to change what's working for you.

Top Bottom