What's new

Long time wet shaver with LOTS of history

A few months ago it dawned on me that I was spending over $100 a year on cartridges just to mow down the stubble on my face, but more importantly, I wasn't enjoying shaving at all. What to do? Now that's a timeless question.
Speaking of time....some history first... (BTW I'm not the smooth Segway guy)

One of my earliest memories is watching my Grandad shave with a Gillette Tech and sharpening his blades with a Twinplex sharpener. He would stand me on the sink and lather me up so I could "shave" with his unloaded Tech. We'd both splash on Old Spice and what men we were! Fond memories indeed!

When it it came time to shave because I had whiskers, and it wasn't just for fun, I was challenged and tried a myriad of shaving solutions. I had a Schick injector with a Bakelite handle that I could draw blood with. I had another Schick injector (I believe it was the M12) that looked Sooo... modern and fast but gave me similar results. My Dad used a Norelco Triple Header and really liked it. I tried several electric shavers from Ronson, Remington, and Norelco, and they just weren't for me. I also tried a Gillette Techmatic that "sprung" while shaving, so that was the end of that.

I finally ponied up and bought a Gillette Fatboy. Now this was a great razor! I could get a great shave without shredding myself. (Yay!). Though I did still get an occasional nick, I wasn't keeping the styptic pencil company in business anymore. Keeping up with advancing shave technology I bought a Gillette Trac II, and nearly couldn't cut myself. Moved
up to the Atra when it came along, and then to the Mach III that I still have.

Enough of that! Back to the original question of what to do? We'll the answer of course is to lurk on Badgerandblade, to learn from others, that know shaving doesn't have to be a chore, it can be... Dare I say it? A real pleasure. All I need to do is find a razor that fits me. Oh, and a brush, got to have a good brush. And soap, or maybe cream? And therein lies the gotcha. This is going to take years. Thank goodness! I'm loving this!

So here I am today with my recently acquired Gillette Tech (46-50) that I've been using for about a month, a fresh Parker badger brush, an assortment of blades to peruse, and a nice selection of classic aftershaves from which to choose. And I have all of you to thank! This forum has to be one of the most helpful places on the web that I've encountered. What a great bunch of folks here. Thanks for having me!

You are one up on me from your comradeship with your grandfather. One of my own grandfathers passed on before I had a chance to meet him. The other wasn't that thrilled with me when we met; he was somewhat staid, and I was hugely exhuberant as a youngster. I was never around him when he shaved.

I had the opposite experience in the first few shaves back in 1954. DEs were the ones that seemed bloodthirsty, while SEs were ever so much easier to use and to emerge from shaves with and not have bits of TP atop several nicks. In due time, I bought and used Injectors, which I thought were fantastic. One thing that my Gillette Slim was better at (still is) was "shortening" my sideburns when they would creep down my cheeks.

I missed knowing any Fatboy ever existed, and the "band" razors really looked too foreign to try. The Atra and Trac II both clogged up way too easily and did not "rinse clean" easily. My Mach3 couldn't hold onto its funny-looking cartridge, so the Sensor is as new of a Gillette as I shaved with.

Within the past four years, I do now know about Fatboys and did get one. At least one Tech I still have was among a set of four or five family razors given me by my Aunts (all the Uncles having converted to Electrics), and it seems far too mild to me. I have my own Slims from the early 1960s, along with my Super Adjustable almost as old, and prefer those over other DEs.

Save for the Techmatic anf Mach3, we seem to have experimented similarly. Be welcome here. It is really a great place.

Great story. Thanks for sharing and welcome to B&B.

If you have children or grandchildren, go create some memories of your own with them!

Welcome good sir and thank you for the great story! Relax and have fun with your shave and know that there is a ton of great information and people to help you along the way. You are going to have some amazing shaves ahead of you and probably some really bad shaves ahead of you. But the longer you go at this the amazing shaves will far outweigh the bad shaves. So have fun!

Thank you good sir!

Welcome to B&B! Thanks for sharing your story. I will definitely have to do the empty razor routine with my boy when he's a little older.

I'm struck by how we're all a product of our times (or at least we start out that way). Gillette mailed me a free Sensor when I turned 18, which looked pretty new-fangled next to my dad's Trac II.

Top Bottom