What's new

Nib Acquisitions September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well, we had some killers last month. :w00t: So let's see what September brings us.

Show it here, gents.

I've had a Sheaffer standard Connoisseur for some time now; a wonderful writer with a very responsive nib. I had the opportunity to buy a Grande Connoisseur in 23k plating and jumped at it.

$20140902_115347.jpg

There is conflicting info out there about Grande Connies. From what I had read, the 23k plated version would have a bicolor nib, but the nib would be the same size as the normal Connies. This one clearly has a larger nib than my standard.

$20140902_115521.jpg

The feed on both pens is the same size, but the Grande has a bigger nib. I also had read that the 23k plated one would not have a metal sleeve that wrapped around the converter, but this one obviously has one.

$20140902_115433.jpg

There was also conflicting info on whether or not the Grande was actually a bigger overall pen or not. When capped, the pens are pretty much the same size, but when uncapped, side by side, the Grande is visibly a few mm longer than the standard

$20140902_115627.jpg

I really like this pen. I have always liked the way the standard Connie's nib performed...this one is a bit better; now to find a Sterling Silver model at a reasonable price:001_rolle.

Thanks for looking.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Great looking gold Connaisseur! There's a vermeil version that's equally eye-catching.

In addition to my newly-acquired Wearever fountain pen that I posted about here, I also picked up some old magazine ads for fountain pens from a local antique mall.

The first is for Wahl-Eversharp pens. I particularly wanted this one because it features the Wahl-Eversharp "Doric", one of my grail pens! (1930s)

proxy.php

The next is for Sheaffer pen and pencil sets. It was printed in the November 1946 issue of Boys Life.

proxy.php

Finally, a December 1951 ad for a Parker 51 set.

proxy.php

They were cheap ($10 for the three ads) but I plan on eventually framing them and hanging them in my "Pen Den"/Man Cave. The dealer had quite a few other pen-related ads, but these three were the ones that appealed to me.

^^^I'd give $8.75 for a Doric Set:laugh:

I didn't know old Wahl-Eversharp's had plunger-vac fill's, but it obviously was an option....Thanks for sharing.

with minimal work on the nib to smooth it out, I feel an eyedroppered Plumix is one of the best pens out there under $50.
Of course, $50 doesn't buy what it used to.

with minimal work on the nib to smooth it out, I feel an eyedroppered Plumix is one of the best pens out there under $50.
Of course, $50 doesn't buy what it used to.

That's great to hear! How do you recommend smoothing the nib?

I love it's secure cap and low cost which have combined to make this an excellent pocket pen.

I received my most recent order from goulet today, which contained an Ahab, a Goulet 1.1 and broad nib, along with a TWSBI broad nib and a bottle of Noodler's Black. I immediately replaced the Ahab nib with the 1.1 since I figured me trying to write with a flex nib would be pointless right now since I can't write in cursive.

Anyways I am super stoked on the Ahab+1.1 combo, it writes better than my 580+1.1. I have wonder why that is, if anyone can suggest someone who I could send that nib to to be looked at I would appreciate it.

For now I'm going to use the TWSBI broad for my 580 at least.$uploadfromtaptalk1409876943246.jpg

In my writing I was referring to the Goulet 1.1 writing better than my TWSBI 1.1; I am perfectly happy with the broad nib I had gotten for my TWSBI.

Last edited:
Does a pack of Pilot G-2s count? :blush:

Actually quite a good pen, little broad for my liking, but still good :thumbsup:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
This should have gone into last month's thread, but I was too busy lazy to take a picture. :blushing:

syngent kindly brought me back the #5 Shocking Blue and #23 Bekakt Haags (brown) from the DC pen show.
proxy.php

The Quink bottle is included just to show the scale of these things. While they are comparable in terms of volume (57ml for Quink and 60ml for Akkerman's), the Akkerman bottle is a lovingly massive piece of functional art.

$2014-09-10 22.09.48.jpg

A bottle of Waterman Gentle Purple (Review coming soon)
and a knox K35 nib?, I question cause the picture on the website had a perdy little two tone thing with a goldish look, and this is a single not so goldish looking ugly thing I dont want and am rather not so happy about, made even worse by the bad day I had but held out hope for the simple joy of the 8 buck nib at home that would let me put a pen back together only for it to be another let down on me today making the whole thing ten times worse lol, So im hoping i got the wrong one by accident so I can get the right one, and this isnt the way they actually are cause we use a different pic on the site thing meaning ill either PIF it or chuck it into the pile of stuff i cant bring myself to either use or pitch.... so possible PIF coming too lol

Picked up some wax on eBay which arrived today, pretty good price too, worked out to $1 per piece.

Really nice colour :thumbsup:

$photo.JPG

I really like that color Andy.:thumbup1: I need to get me some wax and a seal or two.

Thanks, really happy with it, performs as good as the J.Herbin wax I had used previously, but far cheaper.

Just be warned, waxes and seals are an AD far worse than most, once you purchase your first seal, they seem to multiply like rabbits :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom