What's new

OCtober 2014

Last year we had fun with open combs in October, so let's do it again this year. We have 1 month til the kickoff, so if you don't have an OC, or you want more OC's, you have time to act.

Last year garyg shaved with 29 different OC razors and several of us got in 31 shaves. You can review last year at this link.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/365093-Open-Comb-October/page35?highlight=OC+October

I will track the thread as I did last year. If you want to participate, say so in this thread. 30 days til kickoff.

Last edited:
I will have to check my collection to see if I have an OC. If I manage to find one, count me in.

Now seriously, this is already what I do every month, with rare exceptions, but I'll join you guys of course.

Last edited:
Haha, good. Now I don't have as many OCs as some of you guys, but I should still be good with around 10. Pity I can't get in more because of the September Gentleman's restraint.

But I'm definitely game for this - bring it on.

Hi,

I shave with an OC every day, a Fasan Double Slant, so I guess I am automatically in and for 31 shaves. :)

Stan

I am in. I use mostly open combs, so it will be easy to put aside the couple of SB razors I have.

I'm a little leary but interested in this, I have an old mekur 15 OC, and a "new" OC. I also have an open comb micromatic. I have never used any of them, after reading how aggressive an OC is, I'm a little nervous about trying them. I have used techs, a slim adjustable. In SE I have used a gem G-bar and a 1912. I just started wet shaving again a little over a month ago. For almost two weeks I've been using the 1912, no cuts or weepers at all for over a week now, still getting some razor burn in some areas on the neck, which is the bulk if my shaving, I have friendly mutton chops. Any recommendations on which of the OC's I have would be the best/safest to try first?

I'm a little leary but interested in this, I have an old mekur 15 OC, and a "new" OC. I also have an open comb micromatic. I have never used any of them, after reading how aggressive an OC is, I'm a little nervous about trying them. I have used techs, a slim adjustable. In SE I have used a gem G-bar and a 1912. I just started wet shaving again a little over a month ago. For almost two weeks I've been using the 1912, no cuts or weepers at all for over a week now, still getting some razor burn in some areas on the neck, which is the bulk if my shaving, I have friendly mutton chops. Any recommendations on which of the OC's I have would be the best/safest to try first?
Go with the New, it's arguably the best razor ever made.

Last edited:

Do not be afraid of them. OC are not more dangerous than SB razors. I do not know who is spreading this myth, but seriously, it is just a myth. I seriously think it is impossible to cut yourself with the 15C you have. You could almost drag it side-wise.

OC razors comes in all kind of aggressiveness, all the way from super mild ones up to really aggressive. The same is true for SB razors. However, the most popular super aggressive razors are OC because of the extra safety and comfort a comb gives. You find Jaws and R41 a lot more mentioned than for example Merkur Futur adjusted to the most aggressive setting.

I am in. I anyway only use OC.

There is only one SB razor I wish to try: BBS-1. Chamm has been bragging too much about this one. This razor is far outside of my budget and I think it would be impossible to get one for less than $100 so there is no risk for me to lock myself to OCtober

Last edited:
I could join rotating the following razors.
razo rock Jaws
Gillette new LC
Gillette Old Type
Gillette Goodwill
Ever Ready 1912
Gem MMOC
That would be 5 times each.
But what about tech Tuesday, and the Fatboy, and the schicks and the other razors in the rotation?
I am just not sure. I week have to think about it.

Do not be afraid of them. OC are not more dangerous than SB razors. I do not know who is spreading this myth, but seriously, it is just a myth. I seriously think it is impossible to cut yourself with the 15C you have. You could almost drag it side-wise.

OC razors comes in all kind of aggressiveness, all the way from super mild ones up to really aggressive. The same is true for SB razors. However, the most popular super aggressive razors are OC because of the extra safety and comfort a comb gives. You find Jaws and R41 a lot more mentioned than for example Merkur Futur adjusted to the most aggressive setting.

It's not a 15c, I was told from a couple of other people here it is a 15, guess it makes it from around the early to mid 50s or so. Not sure if it makes any difference on aggressiveness or not. And yes being new here, and reading many posts, it does make it seem like an open comb is more dangerous. Maybe I shouldn't read so much and just rotate through my razors, lol. Up until recently the only safety razors I had ever used were the two techs and the adjustable slim that I've had for years.

Top Bottom