What's new

OCtober 2014

Sure, why not. I use OC for every shave, mostly a NEW for now, but will alternate Old Type and NEW for OCtober.

I'm a little leary but interested in this, I have an old mekur 15 OC, and a "new" OC. I also have an open comb micromatic. I have never used any of them, after reading how aggressive an OC is, I'm a little nervous about trying them. I have used techs, a slim adjustable. In SE I have used a gem G-bar and a 1912. I just started wet shaving again a little over a month ago. For almost two weeks I've been using the 1912, no cuts or weepers at all for over a week now, still getting some razor burn in some areas on the neck, which is the bulk if my shaving, I have friendly mutton chops. Any recommendations on which of the OC's I have would be the best/safest to try first?

The MM is the most aggressive of the three you mentioned. The NEW is nice, but you did not mention if it is a long or short comb. If the Merkur is along the lines of the current razor, it will be mild, possibly annoyingly so. As with any new razor, go easy and learn the angle it likes and you will be fine.

Last edited:
Hi,

I suppose I ought to show my OCtober units, right? Threads are worthless without pictures.....

This is my main razor. Most days it is two passes, WTG and ATG, to DFS. A Fasan Double Slant, sporting a replated NEW Bar Handle, loaded with lead:

$Fasan_2_Bar.jpg

This is my Grandfather's Old Type, used when I want to take the time to get to BBS. In this case, the Fasan is used WTG and XTG and then the OT is used ATG.

$Old_Type_Clean_1.jpg

Stan

Im looking at an open comb its between a MMOC and the RR jaws but im interested in what you guys think i saw a video from the wizard of wet shaving and he thinks the open comb was made to leave a trace of soap behind to make for a slicker easier shave.

Im looking at an open comb its between a MMOC and the RR jaws but im interested in what you guys think i saw a video from the wizard of wet shaving and he thinks the open comb was made to leave a trace of soap behind to make for a slicker easier shave.

If you are leaving tracks, you are doing it wrong. The blade, if properly angled, will clean off your face.

I got a nice rotation set up waiting.
Old Type single ring
Canadian Single ring
Old Type pocket edition
New LC and SC
37 Sheraton
And to throw something modern into the mix I got my Cadet OC as well

I will sign on for October. Looks like fun! This is a good opportunity for me to reacquaint myself with my OCs, I've been reaching for only a few razors lately.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410397143.135923.jpg

In the picture, from top to bottom, left to right we have:

Le Taillefer French OC
ATT M2, R2, H2 on Atlas / Kronos handles

Gillette Old Type SC Ball End Handle
German Travel OC
Feather AS-D2 with Ikon OC baseplate

Gillette Old Type SC Tuckaway Handle
Joris Palladium ( just today obtained this from a very kind member on another forum )
Gillette Senator ( arrived all the way from Turkey, have yet to give it a run )
RazoRock Jaws on Elite Razor Turquoise Handle
Muhle R41 on a Maggard MR3 handle
Fasan OC Bakelite Slant

Edit: How could I forget... I have a Gillette New LC to add to the mix too

Last edited:
Count me in. I shave with a Gillette Old Type more times than not and I just recently acquired two Gillette New Long Combs. So for me I'll rotate through my Gillette Old Type, two Gillette New Long Combs, Fatip, Synergy Symmetry, and Muhle R41.

I have some nice OCs but am essentially a Tech collector and shaver, so I am used to razors on the mild side. Last OC October I got some good shaves from a New SC, but could not tolerate a Single Ring, the Old Types or New LCs. I have since picked up a New Improved, but doubt that I will risk it.

I'm signing up with good intentions but reservations. I think it's a great idea and would hate to miss it.

Count me in. I only have OCs now. I will be using my newly acquired ATT M2, R2, H2/Kronos handle and rotate in my NEW LC and NEW SC.

We have a good start, but there is still room and time to get in on the fun.

No.NameRazor(s)Notes
1Shutterbug57
2nuclearblast
3Guru17
4KQY61
5Cornishman
6Pepin
7Mormon Bridge
8Malintyne
9jim9112
10MrSpeedy
11Nick_O
12skip
13engblom
14rp_63
15Galaktus
16Laird
17alaskazimm
18Clubman4Life
19davidsilva
20Ollie4ISU
21thinBLUEline89
22briggs
23Marine Dad

I'm in. My only OC is a US LC NEW that I've used about 5 times. I planned to keep using my slant for the rest of Slantember, but I'm up for committing to the NEW for a month come OCtober.

Top Bottom