What's new

Feather AS-D2 vs Gillette Tech

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Time for a new battle. I would like to know how the Feather AS-D2 (not AS-D1) compares to the Gillette Tech. Even better, a Tech with a custom handle that brings the razor around the same weight as the Feather (i.e. ~90grams).

Is the Tech a hidden Feather or is the Feather having a few ninja stars in the sleeve? What are the differences?

Time for a new battle. I would like to know how the Feather AS-D2 (not AS-D1) compares to the Gillette Tech. Even better, a Tech with a custom handle that brings the razor around the same weight as the Feather (i.e. ~90grams).

Is the Tech a hidden Feather or is the Feather having a few ninja stars in the sleeve? What are the differences?

Should be interesting, Luc. One difference: price!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Should be interesting, Luc. One difference: price!

That's why I'm curious. Many say that a feather as-d2 is overpriced but good.

For the price difference, I'm hoping that feather has something or does something that a tech doesn't

Last edited:
For the price difference, I'm hoping that feather has something or does something that a tech doesn't

I have never tried a Feather, and most likely never will. But I highly doubt the Feather can do something the Tech can't, especially paired with a modern stainless steel handle, as you said.

I had my mildness epiphany just recently, now I need to get an English flat bottom Tech and I'll be all set, as far as Techs go.

IMHO the ASD1 is a copy of the post war Tech, only it's stainless steel. If you put the two baseplates together, you can see how they look alike. The ASD2 is an improved ASD1.

Having said that, when I had the ASD2, it was a really nice looking razor. I used it exclusively for a couple of months. When I picked up a prewar Tech and used it with my ATT Kronos handle, the ASD2 went back in the presentation box, never to return. I used it one last time before I sold it.

Pre or post war Techs with the Kronos handle give me a better shave than the ASD2.

Here comes the fun part!!!

Since I like the like the prewar Tech so much, I had to buy more of them. I have 4 prewar Techs with 3 different blade gaps. The first Tech I bought has a blade gap of .025", it was more aggressive than the ASD2. The other 3 has blade gaps of .023" and .020".

The ASD2 had a blade gap of .020". Do you see where I going with this?

The Tech with the blade gap of .020 shaves exactly like the the ASD2, had I got that one first, this would be a entirely different story with me still owning an ASD2.

All of the blade gaps on the prewar Techs are consistent on both sides of razor, and the differences is in the baseplate, not the cap. I measured them with their own cap and all of them with one cap.

The English flat bottom with the Kronos is better than the ASD2 also.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I want to add that the ASD2 is a really nice, mild stainless razor. But for it wasn't enough for me to keep around.

The Tech can be had for less than $20. The Kronos handle, or handle of your liking, can be had for around $50. And the replate. A custom razor that shaves equal to or better than the ASD2 for $70 or so less.

Last edited:
I actually found the Techs more aggressive than the AS-D2 and even more so than the ASD1, which might be the mildest razor there is. I used a Tech with a UFO U2V1 handle which provided almost the same weight as the AS-D2.
Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the Feather razor unless you really enjoy a very mild razor and you want one in stainless steel, but YMMV.
Bonne chance, Luc.

I'm glad to see this. As i have a English Tech flat base plate, all i need now is a handle to match the weight, and i have one less razor on my list to buy. Because if the shave is similar for the price difference the Feather D2 doesn't justify the price, unless you really want a stainless steal razor. ;)

I have been getting very pleasant shaves from a Gillette FH Tech made in US with sharp and smooth blades.

I have been thinking about what would be the stainless equivalent.

Looking forward to your answers. Great so far.

From a price/performance perspective, my Tech wins going away, of course. It's the best value in shaving, except maybe for the Arko stick or the Monsavon puck.

But my AS-D2 has strong intangibles--balance, smooth action and beautiful audible cues. it's just more fun to use than my Tech.

Top Bottom