What's new

What's in a razor?

This is my first official post here, aside from newbie check-in and hall of fame.

Since I started wet shaving my head I have changed almost everything. I started out using shaving cream applied with the hand directly to the scalp with Gillette blades. I was slicing chunks of flesh out of the back of my head on a regular basis. So I got better blades. Feather New-Hi stainless. A little better. Then I started doing a better job with my pre-shave prep, twice wrapping my head in a hot towel and applying a layer of tea tree oil before the shaving cream. Then I moved to shaving soap with a badger brush. Now I never cut myself at all and get a baby soft shave with two passes and a clean up. But even then I usually discover in the hour after I shave that certain parts of my head get a bit sandpapery faster than the rest of it. It's irresistible for me to pet my own head when it's fresh shaven, so I notice that sort of thing.
I'm still using the cheap colonel conk screw top model safety razor that I bought at the barber shop where I had my head shaved the very first time (to see if I would like it,) and I wonder, what does a great razor have to offer that a mediocre razor doesn't? Mine seems to be short of middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness, which is probably ideal considering that my head has a few big lumps and hills that a very aggressive razor might slice up. I'm not convinced I need to change my razor at all, but I'm so into the whole world of wet shaving right now and I have plans to buy a very nice Silvertip brush and already have bought a very nice European soap that I feel I would be remiss to shave with anything less than a very nice razor. It's just that up until now I have always bought better things because I saw flaws in what I have. Perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing with a good razor.

Thanks for reading this longish post. I appreciate your input.

Last edited:
I have never tried the Cronk razors. Get a vintage Gillette Tech and give it a whirl. Well-known as a mild shaver. I'd also recommend a 1940's Super Speed.

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot that can go into selecting the best razor. For me it begins with geometry. The shape and width of the head, as well as the angle that the blade is bent. Then there is the blade exposure and gap, size and placement of the safety bar, weight, general size, ect. After all of that, you can look into what the razor itself is made of. Plated brass, aluminum, zamak, stainless steel. Most it all really comes down to personal preference though.

Emt88, should I just walk into a nice department store with a maximum dollar amount in mind and pick a razor based on how it physically appeals to me? (not sarcasm) Like just pick one up and play with it and look at it and then buy the one I like? I know already that I like the gap between the blade and the guard in the one I have, but I'm not sure I like the angle or the shape of the top piece. Also I think maybe I want a longer handle.

If you can find a store that has some decent razors, it would definitely be worth it to go have a look, even if you don't buy one. There are also a ton of razor reviews around here to help guide you as well.

For a beginner or someone looking for a good starting point i would recommend the same as BSAGuy. The Gillette techs are awesome as they shave well and they are smooth shavers and look good as well. There are some Fat handle techs in awesome shape on ebay, as well as SS. I would also recommend checking the reviews of razors so you can have a better sense of what you like and where to go.

I hear a lot of people raving about the EJ razors. I would really like to hold one in my hand. Really I wish I knew someone with a big collection of razors so I could hold them all. But I'm the only person I know IRL that shaves at all, let alone wet shaves. But I do live downtown and only a few blocks from a Bloomingdale's. Surely they have a selection of DE razors I could have a good look at. I won't actual lying buy one there because Bloomingdale's. I'll just pick one and order it online. I mean surely they do right? Even though it's not very far away, I really dread going there. Anywhere in the shopping district really. It's honestly my idea of hell.

You can always check the forum for anyone selling, and if you don't like it, you can always re-sell it. There are always several options. :)

I just saw this photo in another thread. Posted by malocchio, it's a Chatsworth Barleycorn. A quick search gives me a price of ~$130, which is high, but not ridiculous if it's going to perform as well as it looks. It looks really sexy. And now I think I know what the answer to my original question is. A mediocre razor lacks the class and elegance of a truly great razor. Or at least for me, that's the one thing I feel I'm missing out on with mine.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 77
That is one beautiful looking choice. Where are you located at? You may be able to find a vendor somewhere close that will let you come take a look at a few razors.

I just saw this photo in another thread. Posted by malocchio, it's a Chatsworth Barleycorn. A quick search gives me a price of ~$130, which is high, but not ridiculous if it's going to perform as well as it looks. It looks really sexy. And now I think I know what the answer to my original question is. A mediocre razor lacks the class and elegance of a truly great razor. Or at least for me, that's the one thing I feel I'm missing out on with mine.

If price is a concern you could go with the EJ DE89 with the barley handle. That'll only run you about $40...

View attachment 491172

Maybe you need to get your technique correctly than concentrating on different razors. Start with a mild one and stick around with it for sometime till you get better on it

Maybe you need to get your technique correctly than concentrating on different razors. Start with a mild one and stick around with it for sometime till you get better on it

I totally agree with you on that point. I've actually taken a challenge in this forum called "single in September" for exactly that reason. However, I'm totally addicted to the world of wet shaving and all its accoutrement, and I do want to owna really fine razor that works for me. I'm the type of person that plans these kinds of purchases months before I lay down cash.

Top Bottom