What's new

Hobonichi Planner?

I very recently (not even half an hour ago) learned of the existence of the Hobonichi Planner. It looks kind of interesting and it seems to have an almost cult-like following. There's a bunch of accessories and stuff for it. It's tickling all the potential AD buttons in my head. The website is somewhat of a pain to navigate, but the "fan page" stuff elsewhere on the internet is interesting enough that I almost feel like I need one to fill a void in my life that I previously didn't know I had.

The question, though, is if any of you fine folks have had any experience with using one, good or bad. So, any Hobonichi users?

Hadn't heard of it before, but I checked it out. Looks like a spartan planner on premium paper with premium binding. You can buy a premium cover for it too. Looks like the planner is ~$25 and the covers are ~$15-30.

If low-frill journals appeal to you, you might consider the method described on Bullet Journal. You could use this method with any nice paper notebook (dot, lined, grid) slipped inside any nice jacket (leather, cloth).

I'm a 10yr veteran of Franklin Planner systems, and could NEVER use anything else. If you're serious about planning, this is the beast for you. It's not that expensive either...I just bought my Oct 14-Sept 15 planner inserts and they were under $50. I'd recommend this system to ANYONE, even my kids use them for school. Good luck!

EDIT: now, there is a one time investment for a nice leather zipper cover for the planner, but for years I went with the "pleather" version which is much, much less :) My leather planner/binder has lasted me over 5yrs and still looks great. Also, all the paper is fountain pen friendly, and will even take the music nib on my Sailor.

Last edited:
At about 3:30am, I caved and ordered a Hobonichi Planner, no cover. When it's 3:30am and you're delirious, it's easy to goof up the rough mental conversion of Yen to Dollars and make a small mistake of believing that 31,000 yen leather cover is $31, when in fact the decimal needs to make one little scoot to the right. Luckily, I caught that little mental error and didn't end up buying the $300+ cover. No, just a planner is more than enough for me thank you.

Looks like quite a flexible system, now if only it could sound an alert 10 minutes before an event, I'd be set :001_smile

I have had one since last march and absolutely love it. As long as I can afford it there will always be one in my hands. It is made with Tomoe River paper so if you have ever used Tomoe paper before you will understand the sheer awesomeness of it. The cost really isn't that bad either, but the shipping is brutal.

Not sure which one you ordered but I have the Japanese version in an A6 size. I was worried it would be a little small but it is perfect and has as much space as my previous Gallery Leather Planner.

I hope you enjoy it.

I have had one since last march and absolutely love it. As long as I can afford it there will always be one in my hands. It is made with Tomoe River paper so if you have ever used Tomoe paper before you will understand the sheer awesomeness of it. The cost really isn't that bad either, but the shipping is brutal.

Not sure which one you ordered but I have the Japanese version in an A6 size. I was worried it would be a little small but it is perfect and has as much space as my previous Gallery Leather Planner.

I hope you enjoy it.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy yours. I picked up the English version that is also in A6 in size. Did pick up a cover for yours or are you going without one?

It showed up in the mail today:

$IMAG0109.jpg
$IMAG0112.jpg
$IMAG0115_BURST005.jpg
$IMAG0117.jpg
$IMAG0122_BURST002.jpg

First impressions? Very nicely made. The paper has a nice feel to it, though it's thinner than I thought. A quick note with my Namiki VP shows the ink won't bleed through, though I have a fine nib. I like it. It's a good size, nicely made, and I'm looking forward to using it. I may spring for a nice cover soon, though I may use it as is.

Top Bottom