What's new

Help Me Pick My Next Soap To Try

I've started to get into soaps. Thus far it's been rather minimal. Two flavors of Mikes, (Barber Shop and Pine & Cedarwood), VdH Luxury, and Tabac.

I'm looking at Mystic Waters, Stirling, or Haslinger Shafmilch.

Thoughts?

The beauty of Stirling is, there are so many scents, you're certain to find one you like. It can take a little work figuring out how to lather it properly, but once you get it figured out, the lather is fantastic.

They aren't on your list, but I highly recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat, and just about anything from RazoRock. RR has a lot of different scents, though they're usually pretty subtle. The lather can't be beat, though. MWF smells great, and is my favorite overall soap. I haven't tried Haslinger, but the Schafmilch gets great reviews, and is supposed to be similar to MWF, due to the lanolin content.

Good luck!

Three samples of Stirling ordered, Black Ice, Orange Chill, and Port Au Prince. We'll give this a go and report back.

Haslinger is a really good soap, i tried aloe vera and coconut and they are amazing. The Shafmilch is even better. Also you should consider Cella, another great soap.

Haslinger is a really good soap, i tried aloe vera and coconut and they are amazing. The Shafmilch is even better. Also you should consider Cella, another great soap.
Haslinger Shafmilch is definitely on the list to get. I've considered Cella. If you had to pick between Cella and one of the French soaps, say Pre de Provence or Martin de Candre, which would you choose? Are the French soaps as good as their price?

Perhaps like you I've primarily been collecting and using creams and am beginning my foray into some artisan soaps. I have some Stirling and some Mike's on the way. Unfortunately, Mike only had stock on 2 scents and I ordered both. I've been reasonably satisfied with the Proraso green soap I have, but prefer the cream.

Perhaps like you I've primarily been collecting and using creams and am beginning my foray into some artisan soaps. I have some Stirling and some Mike's on the way. Unfortunately, Mike only had stock on 2 scents and I ordered both. I've been reasonably satisfied with the Proraso green soap I have, but prefer the cream.
Yes. I've definitely been using much more cream than soap and I am so happy with TOBS and T&H that I do not intend to stop using creams. I guess what has really gotten me interested in soaps is my growing enthusiasm for brushes. I didn't realize how important a brush was till I got my Thater. Now I'm using more soaps, Mikes and Tabac are the standouts thus far, although my Thater and Vie-Long are getting great lather from VdH Luxury.

Looking forward to all of the discoveries!!

Haslinger Shafmilch is definitely on the list to get. I've considered Cella. If you had to pick between Cella and one of the French soaps, say Pre de Provence or Martin de Candre, which would you choose? Are the French soaps as good as their price?
It would be hard, because i really like Cella, but from the french soaps the one that really stands out is MdC because its really good and also good value. With MdC you hardly need to load the brush to get enough lather to shave, so in the end you use less and its lasts a lot longer. In the end between Cella and MdC value wise it comes down to personal choice because both are great.

Top Bottom