What's new

First Safety Razor Purchase?

Hello all,

I'm new to wet shaving. I've spent my life using electric razors and recently decided to make the switch. I decided to start with a shavette-style blade, and have been having some trouble with it. Mostly I've been having issues with having sufficient time to dedicate to the straight razor shave every day, and some pretty significant razor burn issues (particularly on my chin).

I'm thinking of trying safety razors for awhile, because I simply don't have the money to invest in a real straight razor at this time, nor do I have the time to dedicate to honing and stropping.

I'd like to purchase a safety razor, in the $30 range, that would be something I could use and grow with for several years. Is there a make that people would suggest? Also, do you have favorite online store that has competitive prices?

Thank you for your help!

Joe

Gillette Slim Adjustable. About the right price range, and offers a multitude of settings. It is also a great shaver. I have several, and it is my number two razor in my rotation. I have used many others, but that one is one of my favorites.

From what I hear shavette's are even more likely to cause irritation than real straight razors. I've only used a straight razor and DE's. So going down to a DE theoretically is going to be like a walk in the park for you.

If you want a rather cool looking(but maybe too mild) piece of art get a Edwin Jagger.

If you want to be transported back in time to the 1950's, get a Merkur.

If you want the most aggressive aka MOST POWERFUL razor in your price range get a Fatip.

If you want a easy to use silky smooth razor with doors that open like on a spaceship get the Feather popular.

and I hear vintage razors are cool too...

I started with a Merkur 34c. It's a little over $40, but it has been a great razor for me. Some people like a little more weight to theirs and go with the Merkur 38c. If you want something cheaper, the Razorock Mission is about $20. Razorock is a great company with quality products. I don't own the Mission but I have heard great things and am tempted to acquire one for myself.

As for where to buy, Amazon is always an option, but I like to check West Coast Shaving. For the Mission, I've been looking at it on Italian Barber.

Also keep in mind, the blade you put in a razor makes a huge difference and everyone needs something different from their razor. While Feather blades might be the sharpest, personally I get more comfortable shaves with Astra SP blades. I would recommend getting a variety sample pack.

Last edited:
For just starting out, I highly recommend one of the Maggard razors. At just under $16 you will get a good quality razor to perfect your technique. Then, you can move on to others if you choose. The folks at Maggard gave me excellent service and also carry a good assortment of brushes, blades, soaps, creams, etched. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I would try an ej de89...this was my first and still use...discovered it pairs well with certain blades...would suggest staying away from the derbys it comes with...ymmv

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the RazoRock razors. The Jaws is efficient, but with no pressure and good angle very smooth. I have read good reports on the others. Some less than a few sawbucks. And all easy to sell or trade on the BST, if they don't fit your tastes.

Happy Hunting - have a lot of fun, and enjoy your shaves!

Jaws is a nice open comb shaver. The same head is sold under several brand names and the most common names besides Razorock Jaws are Pearl and Cadet. The handle will differ between models but the head is the very same.

Check some reviews on these razors!

For what it's worth my first DE was a Gillette Superspeed. It's been a great razor and one I go back to regularly. They don't cost much and I got mine off the B&S forum.

Just came down the path you are embarking on. I went the route of the Merkur 34C and then picked up a few vintage Gillette DE's.
The Merkur is fine but if I had to do it all over again I would start with the Superspeed and/or Slim adjustable. I am rotating between the two right now. The hunt for the Gillette is the fun of it. You can find them in good shaving shape if you look hard enough or get lucky. My Superspeed was a flea market find for under $15.

I want to thank everyone for their wonderful replies! I'm sorry I did not reply sooner but my e-mail service put all of my notifications in to my spam folder. I thought it was odd I hadn't heard anything from this great community in a day or so, and I was right!

I plan on taking a look at all these suggestions when I get home from work tonight and will make a decision. I'll let you all know what I decide and give a review!

Joe

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you don't mind vintage get a Gillette Tech, it is mild but gives a nice shave. You can get one for well under $30.00. Keep your eye on the BST on this forum.

Top Bottom