What's new

My EJ Barley Chrome is Ruined!

I have had several vintage razors... and now I have just modern ones.

I get the best shave from these razors: Mühle R41, Pearl open comb, Merkur 15C. All of those are made with Zamak and will fail at some point in the future, but they give me better shaves than the vintage razors I have had. Vintage is nice for durability, but some razors made nowadays are real advancement from the vintage models when it comes to the shave. I think that at least. I wish those would be made out of brass or stainless steel.

The solution is not always vintage. Sometimes there is no other solution than expecting to buy another razor after some time.

I have had several vintage razors... and now I have just modern ones.

I get the best shave from these razors: Mühle R41, Pearl open comb, Merkur 15C. All of those are made with Zamak and will fail at some point in the future, but they give me better shaves than the vintage razors I have had. Vintage is nice for durability, but some razors made nowadays are real advancement from the vintage models when it comes to the shave. I think that at least. I wish those would be made out of brass or stainless steel.

The solution is not always vintage. Sometimes there is no other solution than expecting to buy another razor after some time.

Yes, but should "after some time" be as little as 8 Months as was the case in my original post?

Not at all. Here is one of my favorite "frankenrazors," a Gillette NEW LC head with the Weber Bulldog handle:

View attachment 490754

--Bob

Nice! I got the opposite two-tone effect by pairing my ATT H2 with the UFO Goliath handle in red bronze:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but should "after some time" be as little as 8 Months as was the case in my original post?

That should not be considered as the norm for new razors, whatever the material. Many people enjoy many years of use from a Merkur, Mulhle or EJ.

There are quite some people on this board who have been using the same Merkur for a decade as their only razor.

Top Bottom