What's new

Shave right away or let lather sit on face?

it would probably help me to let it sit. but I don't have the time in the morning. I already have to get up 15 minutes earlier sine I started DE shaving

My heard gets the warm water of the shower, then a cursory scrub down as I rinse shampoo, then a scrub with a decent face wash prior to seeing any shaving cream (same carts before I started wet shaving). So I figure I'm covered in the beard preparation department and just have at it once I'm lathered.

I came across this shaving article on WebMD where they had talked to a dermologist who says it is important to let the shave lather sit on your face for 2-3 minutes.

I am just starting to use shave cream (Proraso red) with my cartridge razor until my DE safety razor arrives but I haven't been letting it sit.

I usually just start shaving as soon as my face is lathered up.

Am I doing it wrong? Do most of you let the lather sit on your face for a few minutes?
There really is no right or wrong way but letting the lather sit on my stubble really helps soften them up for me.
I only do this on the days I shave before my shower.

This thread makes for interesting reading-
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/195371-Topgumby-s-New-Shaver-Two-Minute-Lather-Challenge

And this post as well-

proxy.php
[/URL][/IMG]

In watching many tutorials to learn how to DE shave most have commented you'll get better results when leaving the lather on for at least 3 minutes before shaving. Right now I lather and go.

I just lather up and shave away. With all due respect dermatologists, this is only shaving, for goodness sakes! It's not a medical treatment. My goal is to get a CCS in a reasonable amount of time and enjoy the experience. I am shaving, not having a spa treatment.

Even if I bowl lather, I still apply as if face lathering, i.e. a minute or two of swirling around vigorously on the face. I shower first, so my beard is pretty well soaked by the time the blade hits it.

I wouldn't just quickly paint a dry face and then dive right in.

This. We're all face-latherers to a degree, and I think simply painting on the lather and shaving will only work for some of us. Helps to work it in.

I just take my time building up lather on my face. By the time I get the lather nice and thick, it has been on my beard for a minute or so.

Makes for an excellent shave as the combined effect of the hydrating lather and the brush make my whiskers easy to shave. In my case it is a necessity as my whiskers are like rusted barbed wire when dry.

I would say that the need for letting the lather sit for a minute or so is directly dependent on the individuals facial hair.

About 30 seconds to a minute before my first pass works for me. After that it's wet my face, lather up, and shave.

for me, it depends. If I am fresh out of the shower, it's lather and go.

If not, then it depends on whether or not I've shaved the day before. If it's been a few days, I will lather up and let it sit for a minute or so. I find it's not a one-size-fits-all process.

-jim

My facial hair is fairly course, so might give this a shot. I don't see how it would hurt in any way, unless you wait so long the lather dries up.

I am a beginner at this, and I have quite sensitive skin. My routine (when I have the time) gives me smooth shaves and a geat feeling of luxury:

1. Hot shower, then dry off with towel (dab)
2. Shaving oil
3. Lather up, let sit for a couple of minutes
4. Rinse off with warm water
5. Lather again
6. Shave WTG
7. Lather yet again
8. Shave XTG
9. Rinse off with hot water, then with cold water
10. Alum block, rinse off
11. Aloe vera gel on neck
12. After shave balm on face
13. Let dry
14. After shave balm on neck.
15. Kiss the wife

I am a beginner at this, and I have quite sensitive skin. My routine (when I have the time) gives me smooth shaves and a geat feeling of luxury:

1. Hot shower, then dry off with towel (dab)
2. Shaving oil
3. Lather up, let sit for a couple of minutes
4. Rinse off with warm water
5. Lather again
6. Shave WTG
7. Lather yet again
8. Shave XTG
9. Rinse off with hot water, then with cold water
10. Alum block, rinse off
11. Aloe vera gel on neck
12. After shave balm on face
13. Let dry
14. After shave balm on neck.
15. Kiss the wife

This sounds like a good method, especially to keep wife off my back for buying so many shaving products.

Where can I get aloe Vera shave gel?

Aloe Vera gel isn't a shave gel, it's simply a very natural moisturizer. It's perfect for a number of skin problems like sunburn, sensitive skin, rashes and so on. It's applied before your usual moisturizer. Cools down and repairs. Much like witch hazel.

I simply buy mine in pharmacies, health food stores even in some grocery stores. But I also live in Norway, not sure how available these are in other countries. The only thing to remember is to buy gel with as high concentration of aloe vera as possible. Brand doesn't really matter much IMO. :001_smile Good Luck!:thumbup1:

I will sometimes lather up and then go start get the coffee going which takes 5 minutes or so. Seems like a good use of time while the lather is doing its thing and I'm sure the neighbors get a kick out of seeing me in the kitchen with shaving cream on my face.

I have to say tried letting the lather sit for a few minutes this morning before starting in, and it did make a big difference. Closest/easiest shave yet!

Top Bottom