What's new

Safe to use?

I just tried to post this. Got kicked out...browser is acting funny. So if it appears twice, please forgive me.

I bought a Fatboy at an antique store. It was messy, but I cleaned it up. I noticed that, although the doors close tightly (no blade movement that I'm aware of), they close unevenly. See pictures.

I'm wondering if this razor is OK to use in some of the veteran opinions/experience. I don't want to carve my face up, but have really been after an adjustable and would like to use this if I could. Is there a way to fix this? Does it even need fixing?
proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for you thoughts.

Gezzzz, I wish I had taken pictures. I just had one apart tonight.
There is a tread here a few weeks back the shows how to.
You will need either a custom made tool or I use a pair of bent nosed snap ring pliers. They work great. Then it's a matter of very gently manipulating it back into shape.

Be very careful when taking it apart and make sure you don't lose the lock ring inside.

The uneven closure is evidence that the razor was dropped and bent/damaged at the end caps/lift bars at one end of the razor. The damage may be quite minor, but it results in the unevenness you illustrate. It is surprisingly difficult to fix --I've not done it successfully.

If you lightly push down on the silo doors at the time of closure, the doors may lock up evenly as they should. If they don't secure evenly, I wouldn't use it.

-- John Gehman

Gezzzz, I wish I had taken pictures. I just had one apart tonight.
There is a tread here a few weeks back the shows how to.
You will need either a custom made tool or I use a pair of bent nosed snap ring pliers. They work great. Then it's a matter of very gently manipulating it back into shape.

Be very careful when taking it apart and make sure you don't lose the lock ring inside.

I used this site to take mine apart.

http://vintagesaws.com/fatboy/fatboy.html

Yes. Thanks for the link.

Well, it seems like I will not be shaving with it as is. Eh...it cost me four bucks...no biggie. But I think I will take it apart for grins. If someone thinks this is a bad idea, stop me before I get home from work tonight.

BroJohn thinks it's a bent endcap/liftbar. I'll have to look at that. I do think the gaurd is bent, so I'll try fixing that too. If I get good results, I'll post about it. Otherwise...thanks for the info!

--------------------------------------------
"Of all my qualities, humility has been the least useful."
--------------------------------------------
-- Gabe

Top Bottom