What's new

Can you shim a TTO?

Saw someone shim on a shave video and they said that it might be possible to shim on a TTO razor. So the question is can you do so with out breaking the twist mechanism or mess up the doors?

I don't see an issue with this as blades have different thickness and adding one or two shims shouldn't affect the razor.

Alright thanks for the prompt reply now the next question does shimming change the shave enough to even try it?

I tried it on a EJ DE89 just put in 1 extra blade with the sharp sides cut off and there's a noticeable difference. It was almost perfect but I dislike altering things like that. Philosophically it's disturbing.

I don't know how that would work on a TTO. I would assume it could only make it milder or not do anything at all.

Assuming it doesnt interfere with the doors closing down tightly, shouldn't, then it would have the same effect as when done to a three piece razor. Increasing the blade gap, making for a more aggressive shave. I say start with one shim and see how it goes.

Because the doors are hinged at the blade edge, I don't think it will work on a TTO. A shim changes the blade gap by separating the cap from the baseplate more. On a TTO, the gap is fixed because of the hinged doors. Putting a shim in there, the doors may not close all the way, or something may bend...

Last edited:
I don't think the shim is a great idea but you can adjust the aggressiveness in the Gillettes by how tight you turn the knob. If you loosen the knob some then the razor becomes more aggressive.

From experience I know you can double shim a slim or fatboy. Now why would you do that when they are adjustable?

1- To alter the base geometry and support of the blade. Shimming a slim will increase the flex in the blade, influencing efficiency for the better and making a steep angle approach easier.

2- A Slim or Fatboy set at 9 - in the grand world of razors - is IMO not that aggressive. Not compared to an ATT H2 or Muhle R41. Double shimming will increase the razor's top end efficiency.

Last edited:
This was by design. Copierguy posted this picture a while ago
$IMG_20140831_233234.jpg

On the TTO'sI have, the last part of the motion when closing is 100% vertical so it should work just as well as the adjustment on a Slim or FB.

It would be different than the instruction from Gillette regarding unscrewing a bit as the blade would be supported differently and the blade angle would change. I expect it to be more prone to blade chatter as well. Shimming should be much safer but I won't try either way.

Well i went for it 1 shim but did not crank the head super tight once the blade was held tight i stopped. Didn't damage the razor made it more aggressive. Only a few weepers but it talked to me about my need to develop better skills.

Well i went for it 1 shim ... but it talked to me about my need to develop better skills.

I hear you brother... I am always surprised that I can use a yet lighter touch... Amazing how these tools can school me on touch!

And congrats on your shimmed hot rodded razor! You have opened up a whole new side of DE razors - aftermarket enhancements... :thumbup:Something we US folks are good at doing...

Yes but playing with a razor is cheaper than my 1997 grand Cherokee liberty lol. Old and not the best looking but a daily driver kinda like a few vintage razors.

Top Bottom