What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

The Russell quote came from Mortals and Others. ​The collection of essays were written between 1931 & 1935.
Another quote from the same collection:
"Most people learn nothing from experience, except confirmation of their prejudices"

Last edited:
The Russell quote came from Mortals and Others. ​The collection of essays were written between 1931 & 1935.
Another quote from the same collection:
"Most people learn nothing from experience, except confirmation of their prejudices"

How interesting. I imagine that Russell wouldn't have "approved" of Yeats, but given the meter of the quote, I have little doubt that Russell must have heard Yeat's famous poem quite a bit. Thanks for sharing that.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
Ronald Reagan

" We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"
"
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

" We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"
"
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly." -Sir Winston Churchill

Do what works for you. If you have irritation, you're doing something wrong. Change one thing at a time till you find out what it is, and eliminate it, regardless of what it is.
Don't chase after BBS. Just shave properly. If you work on your technique and hone your skills, BBS will come and find you. It's a hard bird to hunt by chasing it.
Stop worrying about "mild" or "aggressive" razors, razors are capable of doing the job adequately whether it's a Gillette Tech or an R41 if your technique is correct.
luvmysuper.

$tumblr_inline_mh86i8owvx1qz4rgp.gif

It's not the blade, it's not the soap, it's not the Moon in Venus. It's pressure. Maybe angle, but mostly pressure.
-Haggises

Been using that one since starting DE shaving.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not..." - Mark Twain

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~ H. Jackson Browne

"The only things that are limitless are the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."- Albert Einstein
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." -Source Unknown

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

— Attributed to Mark Twain, but author unknown.

Thomas Jefferson, in the letter he wrote to John Adams from France that contains the newly popular quote about the "tree of liberty," was discussing the recent rebellion in Massachusetts, basically meaning that it was no big deal: "Our [constitutional] convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection...." He closes the letter with: "The want of facts worth communicating has occasioned me to give a little loose to dissertation. We must be content to amuse, when we cannot inform."

Some of my favorite Jefferson quotes:

"I am for freedom of religion and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another.... And I am for encouraging the progress of science in all its branches....."

Virginia's 1786 statute for religious liberty, which he wrote, "was meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mahometan, the Hindoo, and infidel of every denomination."

In a letter to his grandson: "I never yet saw an instance of one of two disputants convincing the other by argument [regarding politics]. I have seen many, on their getting warm, becoming rude, and shooting one another."

And his advice for everyone: "Not less than two hours a day should be devoted to exercise...."

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nov. 20. 1905

J. H. Todd
1212 Webster St.
San Francisco, Cal.

Dear Sir,

Your letter is an insoluble puzzle to me. The handwriting is good and exhibits considerable character, and there are even traces of intelligence in what you say, yet the letter and the accompanying advertisements profess to be the work of the same hand. The person who wrote the advertisements is without doubt the most ignorant person now alive on the planet; also without doubt he is an idiot, an idiot of the 33rd degree, and scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link. It puzzles me to make out how the same hand could have constructed your letter and your advertisements. Puzzles fret me, puzzles annoy me, puzzles exasperate me; and always, for a moment, they arouse in me an unkind state of mind toward the person who has puzzled me. A few moments from now my resentment will have faded and passed and I shall probably even be praying for you; but while there is yet time I hasten to wish that you may take a dose of your own poison by mistake, and enter swiftly into the damnation which you and all other patent medicine assassins have so remorselessly earned and do so richly deserve.

Adieu, adieu, adieu!

Mark Twain

Top Bottom