What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

Can't recall who said it, but those are some realest words ever

"Every failure brings you one step closer to success."

"Everything you have can be taken away from you, except what you learn."

"An investment in knowledge pays the most interest." - Benjamin Franklin

"Great things don't sell easy."

One of my most frequently used quotes come from a guy who used to own a bunch of car dealerships in Maine. He'd grown his business very rapidly in the hot economy of the late 80's and when the recession hit in '89/'90, he lost everything. He was interviewed by one of the NPR stations up there and was asked "You've lost everything. What will you do now?" and he said:

"I did it once and I'll do it again. Nobody sucked the brains out of my head. All I lost was money."

I love that. "Nobody sucked the brains out of my head." He was no poet, but he had a firm grip on reality.

One of my most frequently used quotes come from a guy who used to own a bunch of car dealerships in Maine. He'd grown his business very rapidly in the hot economy of the late 80's and when the recession hit in '89/'90, he lost everything. He was interviewed by one of the NPR stations up there and was asked "You've lost everything. What will you do now?" and he said:

"I did it once and I'll do it again. Nobody sucked the brains out of my head. All I lost was money."

I love that. "Nobody sucked the brains out of my head." He was no poet, but he had a firm grip on reality.

The question is did he learn how to save anything?

(Use your crazy Grandpa Simpson Voice while saying this one)
"The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogs Head and that's the ways I likes it!"
-Grandpa Simpson

"Leave the Gun. Take the Cannoli"
-Peter Clemenza (Richard Castellano), The Godfather

Wee bits of Burns.

A man's a man for all that.

The best laid schemes o' mice and men, gang aft agley.

Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.

To a Louse:
O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion.

And from Scots Wha Hae:
By Oppression's woes and pains!
By your sons in servile chains!
We will drain our dearest veins,
But they shall be free!

Lay the proud usurpers low!
Tyrants fall in every foe!
Liberty's in every blow!
Let us do or die!

The one in my signature. For those of us on Tapatalk:
"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

[QUOTE

Mine is "the shortest road to hell is paved with good intentions."[/QUOTE]

"The road to hell is paved with the tombstones of those who didn't play out their trumps."
--Rev. Lawrence Waddy, my ex-father-in-law

I found this one a really long time ago and it has stuck with me for some odd reason :001_rolle

Common sense is not so common
-Voltaire

What promoters of vegetarianism maybe don't realize, is that much of the world already is living a vegetarian lifestyle, and they ain't too [freaking] happy about it. -Anthony Bourdain-

"Damn the Americans! Why don't they tyrannize us more?"

-Manuel Quezon, Filipino insurrectionist fighter, exasperated that American administration was so benign he was having trouble recruiting followers.

"Damn the Americans! Why don't they tyrannize us more?"

-Manuel Quezon, Filipino insurrectionist fighter, exasperated that American administration was so benign he was having trouble recruiting followers.

Whenever locals ***** Americans at whatever I always say that with the Russians or Chinese in charge everything would be better.

They shut up instantly.

Top Bottom