What's new

Fatip - The Jekyll & Hyde edition

Yesterday I received a Fatip Piccolo, I could hardly wait to try it out. I had read about the issues people have with Fatip razors - poor finish etc - so I took a close look. Nothing terrible, a scratch here and there. The pins had an unpolished attachment, but I wouldn't see that when shaving.

I got a blade, loaded it, checked if it was centered... Not even close! I tried to adjust it, but to no avail. So I grabbed a ruler to see what was going on:

$fatip-jh1.jpeg $fatip-jh2.jpeg

The pins aren't properly centered. They're off by about 0.5mm, which is shown by the 1mm difference in the pictures.
I do think this says something about quality control at Fatip, and it's very disappointing.

What does it look like with a blade? Let me introduce Dr Jekyll:
$fatip-jh4.jpeg

And here's Mr Hyde:
$fatip-jh3.jpeg

The split personality razor.

This does raise a question. If you plan on keeping this DE razor will it be in your regular rotation?

If yes, is there any way you can determine the Dr Jekyll vs Mr Hyde side while you're shaving with it? How will you determine which side is which while your shaving with it?

If you should shave with less aggressive side you could mistakenly shave with more aggressive side. This could result in very serious damage to your skin.

Personally, I'd send it back to the vendor. That's a accidental bleeder waiting to happen.

Last edited:
One consideration that comes to mind is "muscle memory" when using this razor. Can you shave effectively and change the angle you are holding the razor so frequently. You would have to be able to tell one side from the other with ease. It's almost like trying to write on a piece of paper with one hand and then switching hands.

Last edited:
I haven't shaved with it, and indeed I don't intend to. I fear I would leave my skin in the sink along with my stubble. :scared: I thought it was interesting enough to share though, and I had some fun getting out the camera.

Thanks for your replies. I have sent a message to the vendor. I haven't made my mind up entirely, but unless I can be certain I get flawless replacement, I don't think Fatip deserves a second chance.

I wouldn't even want to exchange it. I'd ask for a refund and get something from a company with better QC. That example is ridiculous!

Think of it as an Italian car ... it'll run fantastic some days, terrible the others. Go with the flow, or buy German?

So you don't think the OP could find another suitable open comb razor unless its a Joris? Plenty of companies make new OC's, and then there's the vintage market...

Top Bottom