What's new

Sleeping In

In my youth I really enjoyed 'sleeping in'. In my 40's I just simply could not do it any longer. Now that I am even older, I am up with the chickens. I was wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts on this matter. Perhaps some of our physicians could chime in with some 'science'. Thanks.

Not like I used to. I used to sleep 10 or 11 hours on a weekend but nowadays much shorter. its not a bad thing all and all...I get a lot more done. somewhere in my 30s I became a chronic problem sleeper

Not sure of the science. But I've never slept in. Maybe a bit in high school. But never past 7. It's good because my wife does sleep in, and I get time in the morning for me and my two girls.

Yes, I still sleep in on Sundays when working 60+ hours a week. In the winter when the pace drops off to 32-45, the desire to sleep in disappears?

I got back almost two weeks ago from a two week gig up north that really threw me for a loop. Our work schedule fluctuated around around the weather and we'd start between 09:30 A.M. and 1:00 P.M. We would work until we couldn't go any longer or couldn't see. The strange hours with the addition of about 4 more hours of light per day made the long days seem shorter ect... When I got back to town, I've had the hardest time getting up at my standard 445-0500 time. I started back to work comming in @ 0900 and slowly brought it in line Wednesday of this week. I am not a type of person that is habitually late but this last stint was bad.

When younger, yes, I did sleep in on the weekends. Can't really manage it these days, unless I'm sick.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Recently read that 7 hours is now the optimal amount of snooze. Rarely "sleep in" myself. Once in a blue moon a Sunday morning sleep in occurs but I hate missing CBS Sunday Morning which is a bit of a religion for me so past 9am is a no no usually.

+2

Yep! Same here. We're up before the chickens. The chickens probably think we're waking up the rooster.

My incipient geezerhood has me up with the chickens, too. Inconvenient, since I'm usually just getting off stage at 10 or 10:30, getting home at 11, 12, or even later--up at 5am anyway.

As Warren Zevon sang, "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Usually up by 0400 or 0500 even on weekends. At the ranch when hunting I combat nap in the blinds.

Is "sleeping in" the same as we call "uitslapen" (literally translates as: sleeping out)? Sleeping longer in the weekends than you regularly do on weekdays?

I've always been an early riser (had a lot of paper routes when I was a kid), and continue to get up early. These days though I'm just too busy to sleep in, even if I wanted to!

I'll manage to sleep in from time to time but is usually doesn't happen. Without an alarm, I usually wake up around 7 or 8.

The wife can sleep well past noon though, and can take a nap a few hours after waking up. I don't know how she does it.

I "sleep in" now that I retired. I usually get up between 6 and 6:30 a.m. When I was working I usually got up between 4:30 to 5:00 a.m. so I consider my later time as sleeping in - although my wife doesn't.

I've never been one for sleeping in. I've had a job since I was 15, and even on summer vacations in high school, I usually worked full time. After high scool/late teens/early twenties, when I did all my heavy partying, I never had weekends off, so hungover or not, I still had to be up for work. Now I'm 27,work early mornings, so sleeping in for me is like.. 7AM. I slept in until 10 this morning and felt like garbage. I usually just get out of bed the first time I wake at a reasonable hour, but today I went back to sleep and I'm wishing I hadn't.

Im a morning person. Always have been, and I suspect that won't change.

There's also something nice about being up before the rest of the world. It's still quiet, you have plenty of time to wake up, drink your coffee and have a couple smokes outside while it's still dark... I love it. Not to mention it's been pouring rain the last 2 days, so I just sat out there this morning for half an hour listening to it. Feels good.

As Warren Zevon sang, "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

I've been saying that for years :lol:

Top Bottom